The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 173 of 224 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 4466

If Romantic Star has a broken jaw and is in poor body condition then maybe breeding this year isn't an option? I would just sort of assume that he would not be available this year with the legal mess and the injury.

What a mess.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

1 members found this post helpful.

Where did the info about the broken jaw come from?

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    That info. was included in the ratemyhorsepro article.
    You are right.

From Rate My Horse Pro:
    "A warmblood breeder for years, Burnell's Gray Fox Farm lists the stallions Redwine, Romantic Star, Federalist, and Aloha. According to Ronda Stavisky, she purchased Romantic Star prior to his injury and seizure from Burnell. She says she is unaware of the horse's present condition. Weems is also representing Stavisky."

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/c...ues-arise.aspx

Also found it in this article:
    "Weems, whose office is in Fairfax, said she also represents a Georgia woman who bought the stallion and was waiting for it to be shipped before it was injured and confiscated."
    http://www.marinij.com/novato/ci_22327901?source=pkg
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug Hill View Post
    If Romantic Star has a broken jaw and is in poor body condition then maybe breeding this year isn't an option? I would just sort of assume that he would not be available this year with the legal mess and the injury.

What a mess.
    Good point. I was thinking that if he healed without complications, breeding season is still a few months off so it may be possible.

I've never been involved in an animal seizure case (and haven't read the court docs in this one) but it sounds to me like Jill's attorney filed some papers with the court to challenge the removal of the horses and the court found that, based on what was in front of it at the hearing, removal was proper. That initial order approves removal temporarily. Jill has the right to put on her side of the case before she loses her property permanently (due process of law and all that). If the court hasn't already, it will set a trial date and in the meantime Jill either cooperates with MHS to try to get her act together or she risks losing more (or hopefully all) her horses.

What is on the docket for 5/31 is a status conference. MHS likely will file a report with the court before the status conference to advise the court what is going on in the matter. That report should be a matter of public record and for a few dollars anyone could get a copy. 5/31 sounds a long way off to me. When kids are removed from their parents the initial status conference is set within 60 days, but either animals are different and/or the Marin County Court, like most California courts, is very busy and understaffed. Probably both.

What a nightmare this has turned out to be. I am glad to hear that MHS will be monitoring carefully as the mares get closer to foaling.
    Sheila Armstrong

3 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

To me, it seems that there are two separate things going on here. Weems has filed for a writ of mandamus directing the return of the horses. After considering the motion and the evidence that the court has before it, it refused to order an immediate return and set a status conference for May 31. By then, it's possible (however improbable) that Burnell would have complied with all of the Marin County HS demands and gotten her horses back.

The process for Marin County HS in an animal neglect/abuse situation is quite different and, I'll got out on a limb, relatively unrelated to the petition for mandamus. HS is still in the very early stages of that. In other words, the Court seems to say that Marin County HS can keep on keeping on.

Honestly, what I get from the late court date is that the court slapped down Ms. Weems petition pretty thoroughly. It refused to step into the Marin County HS processes and cut them short.

What's interesting is whether she has an interlocutory appeal at this stage. My gut feeling, without knowing anything about California law is that she won't. She almost certainly wouldn't here. Her hands, without an interlocutory appeal, will be tied until there is a final judgment, which could be many months on--certainly after the status conference.

If I owned RS, I'd be working with the HS and not the courts.

But, as I said, I know nothing about California law or their processes. I'm just going on what I've seen before in other states and what things like this mean in court processes.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    Thank You SilverBalls.

Everyone--please donate to the cause and help these horses rather than hovering over your keyboards wringing your hands and waiting for the next 'fact' to pounce upon with glee.
    Yet another of my worthless observations, but "dilligaf and Silver Balls" do seem to go together
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Yet another of my worthless observations, but "dilligaf and Silver Balls" do seem to go together
    You win!!!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

The Romantic Star sale IS on the up and up, so leave that subject and Ronda alone and quit with the muckraking so you don't scare other legitimate homes for the horses away.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

4 members found this post helpful.

This whole thing just rips me apart. Defenseless animals in questionable circumstances..seeing the pictures... hearing the stories... brings out the worst in me. No one can turn back the clock, and I have to understand that everyone handles these things in their own time and their own way.

I feel horrible and wish I could make this all better NOW!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    You win!!!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Just curious but if Romantic Star was suffering from not only a broken jaw but ALSO poor body condition. The body condition certainly was not an effect of the broken jaw from the supposed fight the day prior yes/no??

Doesn't the poor body condition sort of make the "fight" obsolete from a defense point of view?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBalls View Post
    This whole thing just rips me apart. Defenseless animals in questionable circumstances..seeing the pictures... hearing the stories... brings out the worst in me. No one can turn back the clock, and I have to understand that everyone handles these things in their own time and their own way.

I feel horrible and wish I could make this all better NOW!
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Just curious but if Romantic Star was suffering from not only a broken jaw but ALSO poor body condition. The body condition certainly was not an effect of the broken jaw from the supposed fight the day prior yes/no??

Doesn't the poor body condition sort of make the "fight" obsolete from a defense point of view?
    Ding ding ding!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post

I have been loosely following this saga, but I saw that Rising Star Farm had recently gotten a health cert for Romantic Star to be shipped, so his body condition must have been deemed suitable for the travel.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I have been loosely following this saga, but I saw that Rising Star Farm had recently gotten a health cert for Romantic Star to be shipped, so his body condition must have been deemed suitable for the travel.
    But let's not forget the health cert was acquired by Jill. Depending on which vet was used, it's possible she may have used one with questionable judgment considering the fact that she has likely stiffed most if not all of the reputable vets in her area.

Also, if RS had in fact been seen by a vet after the fight as Jill's lawyer claims, why wouldn't they have taken him straight to the clinic considering he had a broken jaw? Instead they were still discussing that option 24 hours later. If the same vet did the health cert that tended to RS after the fight, that's another reason I question the judgment of that vet.

9 members found this post helpful.

Or maybe the vet didn't see Rising Star. Maybe s/he saw a horse that *looked* like Rising Star.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    Or maybe the vet didn't see Rising Star. Maybe s/he saw a horse that *looked* like Rising Star.
    Romantic Star. Rising Star is the farm that bought him.

I doubt any vet actually saw the horse. This woman has been known to forge official documents before.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

This is the wording with the dates from the new SO's page: On December 19th the vet came out to pull blood for coggins, do paperwork for the transport health certificate and administer a rabies shot. Shipping through Brook Ledge Transportation was arranged with pick-up scheduled for December 28.

I doubt the shipping would have been arranged without these needed papers in hand, but who knows.

I still fail to see how this is anyone's business, but the two party's involved. Also, while I'm mot wishing hundreds of PM's on Rhonda, for those who think she did something shady, or do not approve of the deal, why not just ask her, instead of speculating on a BB?

Edited to add: I do understand that there are made owners who are waiting to see if their contracts will be honored, but so far those that have posted here, are folks with no dogs in the fight.