The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 167 of 224 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 4466

FWIW, Ronda / Rising Star Farm indicated on her SSA donation forms that her stallions are tested negative for EVA and vaccinated annually, which indicates to me that she is NOT unfamiliar with the disease and well aware of the need to take appropriate preventive measures.

And I, too, am glad RS will be out of the JillB/GFF dump. If only the same could be said for the other horses.

Just curious....with all the wellbred healthy, talented stallions available throughout the country, why would anyone breed to a stallion eva positive?

Twisted River - consider the following. Most responsible Stallion owners and Stallions Stations require that stallions are vaccinated yearly for EVA. I had Popeye test in Germany before importation - he was negative and he has been vaccinated yearly since he started standing at stud. The EVA vaccine is a LIVE vaccine so specific protocol has to be followed specifically with respect the 30 days post vaccination.
    Given the fact that Redwine is EVA pos and sheds in his semen other protocol applies to when the semen is collected, prepared and shipped. Information is available on the internet about this. Specifically EQUIPMENT used on that stallion should be completely seperate from that used on other stallions. The photos of Jill's "lab" at her last farm and ones of this farm are not what I would ever accept for semen that I would want for my mares.
    I also have sat down and calculated what it costs us per mare and foal and horses and ponies yearlings and older per year and it is a rather significant amount of money. Throw in Coggins, trims, teeth, worming, etc. and the number grows. We feed the best feed and buy high quality have and do have pasture turn out for all of ours on the farm.
    Applying those same costs per horse/pony to the numbers that GFF has been stating 30-35 per year - and the cost is easy to calculate. The photos of her last farm and this setup is, IMHO unacceptable and clearly shows that lack of funds may be an issue. In that regard, it would not be un-reasonable to expect that horses/ponies may not have received proper innoculations, food, worming, etc. This is not piling on or attempting to affect anyone's breeding business - it's just comparing the existing conditions with what is acceptable for the industry and coming to the conclusion that the horses/ponies are being short changed and buyers should consider that.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Just curious....with all the wellbred healthy, talented stallions available throughout the country, why would anyone breed to a stallion eva positive?
    Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days. And because Jill has in the past blown off concerns by mare owners - many of whom are novice enough to not know about or understand the disease. (Not to mention she has even gone so far as to tell some of them they didn't need to worry about vaccinating their mares, as they would be "naturally vaccinated" against EVA by breeding to Redwine.)

2 members found this post helpful.

if Redwine and Aloha were imported in '09 as indicated here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grayfoxfarm/page7/ -- this whole decline was quite rapid
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

1 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=DownYonder;6773636]Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days. QUOTE]

So for someone who once told me no one was bashing stallions, this is what I was referring to. He is a talented boy and many many have come on here to say that besides me.

Quote Originally Posted by horsenut93136 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days.
    So for someone who once told me no one was bashing stallions, this is what I was referring to. He is a talented boy and many many have come on here to say that besides me.
    Unbunch your panties. Geez.
    How is saying he is black and blingy and it is all the rage bashing anyone?
    It is a fact. Horse is black and blingy and it is all the rage.

8 members found this post helpful.

So glad that Romantic Star will have a great home when he recovers.
    This must be a nightmare for Rising Star farm, to have him injured before she could get him out of there.

4 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=horsenut93136;6773648]
    Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days. QUOTE]

Hmm, I guess it would depend on what one's definition of "talented" is. I know folks who think he is the bee's knees for siring line horses, or low-level hunters (3 ft or under), but also know other folks who think he is seriously lacking in scope and ability for upper level hunters. If that is "bashing", so be it...

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Unbunch your panties. Geez.
    How is saying he is black and blingy and it is all the rage bashing anyone?
    It is a fact. Horse is black and blingy and it is all the rage.
    Geez back at you. Yes I forgot the other part of that to put it in context "why would anyone breed to RW" so yes that is a negative response unless you added to it "and also has done well in the hunter ring" or something of that sort.

It's insulting to people that have bred to RW because I'm pretty sure the people on this board who used him did not do it simply because they wanted black and blingy, unless you want to call them all stupid.

Holy crap this thread is long, the info gets lost... need an update or a 'cap' page every so often. What happened to Equine DRiver? Where is Redwine?

So glad Romantic Star is landing with Ronda.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. I don't really care how Romantic Star ended up at Ronda's. I think it will be a fantastic place for him. Her facility is beautiful and her horses are very well cared for. As a stallion owner, she is professional, organized and easy to talk to. She's been on the board of a few registries and was helpful as a representative of those too. If you enter into a contract with her, you can know she's going to try her hardest to honor it.

I think Romantic Star will flourish there and I'm thrilled to see him going to a program where people won't be scared off by the creepy stallion owner.

I do hope she'll get separate legal counsel, if it turns out that she needs it. Never occoured to me that people were getting confused between Rising Star and Rising Phoenix, but when I started hearing people throwing all those allegations out there, I was scratching my head because I've always thought very highly of Ronda and RSF, and she's very well respected around here (Jill, not so much!) The case of mistaken identity makes a lot more sense.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

9 members found this post helpful.

I also fail to see how saying a horse (stallion) is black, blingy, and that that's all the rage in the hunter breeding ring is a disparaging or bashing remark. Mare owners breed to him to capitalize on that bling in order to have a better chance (hopefully) in the line classes. Nothing wrong there.

I wholly remember the EVA discussion where it was said not to worry because the mares would then have natural immunity. THAT is where the issue comes in.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I hope that if a check was written for Romantic Star that there was also an insurance policy put in place. It's also possible that the new owner is using Jill's lawyer, because for one, she is close to the situation, and two, if there was/or is going to be a payment for RS, that is also quite probably the lawyers payment too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    I'm not a stallion owner, but I'm also another one who is wondering about the silence from RSF on the purchase of a known stallion that was seized after the purchase is said to have taken place. Maybe it really WAS legit, just coincidental with the timing...

but Wellington has Internet, there are plenty of smartphones around, and the grapevine would be VERY obvious about now.

RSF's Facebook page said they were heading to Wellington six days AFTER Romantic Star was seized. She had to know. But while a hint was made on the 17th, no further mention has been made. At all. Why?

It's just a curious thing to me...
    I am, thank goodness, not a horse professional so shouldn't ever have to be in a situation like this. But, for other professional dealings I've seen go sour, the absolute most common advice given is to *not* say a word until all legal "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed. So, there's one plausable explanation.

Seriously, think back to other trainwrecks on this very BB. How many people have actually, truly helped themselves by coming on here and trying to give their side of the story? And, of those, how many were able to do so without being treated roughly by at least some individuals? Personally, if I ever have anything happen to me, a public BB is the absolute last place I'd want to discuss it.

I hope this mess gets sorted out soon, and the animals all have a soft landing.
    ---------------------------

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grayfoxfarm/page7/ -- this whole decline was quite rapid
    According to her website, JB had foals in 2008 from Redwine. Looks like he was imported in 2007, or maybe late 2006.

IMO, something is NQR about the whole RS purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    I bought 3 breedings from Gray Fox Farm in 2009 and she had Aloha and Redwine at that time. It wasn't too long after I'd paid for them that I started hearing rumblings, just little bits here and there ... but what can you do? I went ahead with breeding 2 of my mares to Romantic Star knowing that all was well at my end. As time went on I heard more and more 'talk'. I also started having problems dealing with Jill around that time and that's why I decided not use my 3rd breeding. However ... until the pictures on this thread were released I never in a million years could have imagined such disgusting working conditions and had I known previously then of course I would not have sent a penny to Jill Burnell. I do not keep my horses in such conditions and I certainly did not suspect that Jill, with as many people vouching for her as against her, would either.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    This is not a particularly hospitable bunch here, so I can understand Ronda not wanting to post her business here. She has been a well respected breeder and stallion owner for a number of years. If RS is truly going to end up with her, it is a good thing. None of us know why she is doing what she is doing. Let it play out. There may be a reason.
    Thank you.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

5 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Y'all do realize that there are different kinds of "sold." All kinds of different arrangements could be called "sold", especially by a lawyer who is working a PR spin.

I have the highest personal regard for Ronda and her ethics, and don't think for a minute that she would do anything dicey. I've dealt with her in the past, albeit long distance, in a very tricky situation involving someone else as well, and she was a rock.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsenut93136 View Post
    yes I'm sorry I am having a tantrum. I feel like I have been very good a quoting the original posters so not sure why there is a question of what I take issue with.

Between isse and true colors they inferred that Rising Star might not be capable of handling the stallion and that it might hurt her reputation. I do not believe these things are helpful in getting the stallion to a good place. Tantrum ended
    I'm still catching up on reading this thread, but I have to say you are doing a mighty fine job of trying to get the negative attention off Gray Fox Farms, and on to the other farm. I have no dog in this fight - never heard of either farm until this thread to be honest - but your hysterical rantings have me wondering why.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

7 members found this post helpful.