The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 137 of 224 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Farm is off Hannan Ranch Lane Petaluma, CA. That road isn't very long. Looked at Google maps. I wonder if those dry lots with lots of horses on them, and single horses in little pens (?stallions) are Jill's.
    That property was foreclosed on. The new land is Chileno Valley Rd I believe.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    It ONLY extends the time when it's within a few minutes of closing. It prevents people from putting in a final bid with the idea that no one can outbid them at the last moment (sniping). So, waiting until the last moment to bid with that idea in mind, won't work on this auction . Make sense? Clear as mud?
    We've been using Extended Bidding for a few years in the Oldenburg (OHBS/GOV) stallion service auction, and it works great to thwart last minute sniping.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsenut93136 View Post
    That property was foreclosed on. The new land is Chileno Valley Rd I believe.
    Thanks. I was looking at her old place.

Anyone got a more complete address of her new place?

http://www.apal.co/RV/3956/1831 There is no address actually....it's just a lot. And it can never be built on because it won't perc.

perc? Why would anyone buy such a place?
    Hoping the animals are taken care of by now. really curious to read the press release.

One of the articles from local paper.
    http://novato.patch.com/articles/mal...o-valley-ranch
    Cloverfox Stables

My guess is she picked it because it couldn't be seen from the road, and it has a coded gate. She could do ( or not do, as the case may be) anything she wanted and no one could pop in and see.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Yikes - after reading Vineyridge's post and others, I am beginning to feel more disturbed, not less.
    The auction is a wonderful thing - intended to help the Marin Humane Society (who have seized only two horses to date?) and to hopefully help those mare owners who more than likely have been stiffed or will be stiffed this coming year -( though, many of us love an auction of lovely stallions ) - but is this valiant effort is not getting to root cause?
    JB has not paid bills, has had suits filed, has had horses live in squalor, has hoarded mares, had lured folks with false advertising and cheap stallion fees, FOR YEARS - and is still in business? And folks still DO business with her? I don't know which I dislike more - the former or the latter.
    For all the sensible heads out there - what does it take to shut down her business? I never had any desire to do business with her so I have nothing to pursue - but
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    but is this valiant effort is not getting to root cause?
    I think the intent is "first things first" and at the moment the welfare of the horses some of which are alleged to be in very poor condition is paramount. If that is indeed the case, then there will be a natural sequela that should result in her operation being halted, either because of a ban on horse ownership, prison time or something else.

One concern is that if the animals' condition is confirmed in a court of law, it should ideally be ensured that the chances of her either getting them or other horses back should be blocked. This also has to include someone else taking custody of a horse on her behalf during this fiasco with the intent that it still be owned by her, but in a hidden manner. A major concern for this would be someone taking one or more of the stallions and standing them while claiming them as their own, merely as a protection for Jill,allowing her to regain them or at least continue have some involvement or income from them. Hard to believe that someone would do that given the circumstances, but there are some out there that might...!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

4 members found this post helpful.

Yikes - after reading Vineyridge's post and others, I am beginning to feel more disturbed, not less.
    The auction is a wonderful thing - intended to help the Marin Humane Society (who have seized only two horses to date?) and to hopefully help those mare owners who more than likely have been stiffed or will be stiffed this coming year -( though, many of us love an auction of lovely stallions ) - but is this valiant effort is not getting to root cause?
    JB has not paid bills, has had suits filed, has had horses live in squalor, has hoarded mares, had lured folks with false advertising and cheap stallion fees, FOR YEARS - and is still in business? And folks still DO business with her? I don't know which I dislike more - the former or the latter.
    For all the sensible heads out there - what does it take to shut down her business? I never had any desire to do business with her so I have nothing to pursue - but
    I would hope the former. I think in the beginning there were people trying to put warnings out that were rebuffed by prominent people on this board. Obviously over time the number of those that had issues were growing. Then you have the fact that not everyone reads COTH and people have had positive experiences with her. Knowing the horse world you cannot simply put faith in everything that is said so you may hang on the fence.

Even those (or most)who can't stand JB have always said how well her horses were taken care of (way back in the thread) .

So now the situation is punctuated with horses that are seized. There is no debating that, there is no questioning someone's agenda.

I am disappointed that people have chosen to write derrogatory remarks about others who have either bought a breeding or a foal from GFF when they have no idea what the circumstances were or if the person even knew all of the drama on COTH. Saw a post of FB where someone was advertising an inutero foal and the comment was to the effect that the foal was worth 1/2 the asking price because she'd never get papers. That just hurts the mare owner right? This person already has her GFF baby but she is "safe" because she jumped on the bandwagon earlier?

Anyway just food for thought. I am very happy that the situation is in the hands of the proper people who can get the horses the help they need and hold GFF accountable. Obviously having this running through the news can also let a greater population of people know what is going on so they dont get caught up in the mess.

Its easy to sit back and say no one should have ever done business with JB after __ __ ____ but things just don't happen that way.

You really can't shut someone's business down, because you can't force people to NOT do business with someone. About the only way she wouldn't be able to do business is as Kathy says; never allowed to own horses again. However, not to be negative, but I think that is a very, very, very long shot. Hopefully animal welfare is much different in California, but in my experience it takes a very egregious situation to have ALL of your animals taken and to NEVER be allowed to own horses again. That is also hard to enforce and generally is only enforceable in the state in which you are convicted; so she could probably move somewhere and start all over again and yes, I have no doubts that people would continue to do business with her . I really, really hope that I am wrong on all accounts.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    Numerous news stories are now published on the web, etc. Here is a good article with donation link to Leg-Up, also names GFF and Redwine.

http://larkspurcortemadera.patch.com...o-valley-ranch
    so far all links to news stories have been local community content (ie not real news services) pages. not saying that it wont hit elsewhere - but the links so far all were just pages that anyone can post to.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    You really can't shut someone's business down, because you can't force people to NOT do business with someone. About the only way she wouldn't be able to do business is as Kathy says; never allowed to own horses again. However, not to be negative, but I think that is a very, very, very long shot. Hopefully animal welfare is much different in California, but in my experience it takes a very egregious situation to have ALL of your animals taken and to NEVER be allowed to own horses again. That is also hard to enforce and generally is only enforceable in the state in which you are convicted; so she could probably move somewhere and start all over again and yes, I have no doubts that people would continue to do business with her . I really, really hope that I am wrong on all accounts.
    HHR - I know you are likely right but in my simple mind, what JB has run is a giant PYRAMID scheme - only it involves animals - which in my mind makes it more egregious than Bernie Madoff et al - they took in folks who believed a too good to be true return on investments - JB took in creatures that depend on care .
    Anyway -thanks to all trying to help the horses, help those who got fleeced, and also to those trying to see what can be done in the "broader" sense.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

fwiw, i do know that at least 4 years ago some of the folks that lived on her old road had a petition going to take to the county because of the number of animals she had on her property. I have no idea where that petition went, but folks were trying to raise the alarm -= even back then.

around here you can only have 1 horse per half acre unless you have a special dispensation.

as for the land where she is now - never say never, but while it may not perc now, with how septic systems are always changing it may very well perc at some point in the future when they go to other things besides mound systems etc.

I was literally wishing her luck in getting her foal registered as it would decrease the value if it was not. I wasn't criticizing, I was trying to wish her well. I hope she does get it registered as I did and all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I was literally wishing her luck in getting her foal registered as it would decrease the value if it was not. I wasn't criticizing, I was trying to wish her well. I hope she does get it registered as I did and all is well.
    I understand that Laurie, but someone marketing a foal might not see it that way. Suggesting the foal they are promoting might only bring them 1/2 of what they are asking. Very well could be true, but if the situation were reversed and it was 2011? when your mare was in foal to RW you might not want someone posting that either.

Just saying I'd rather see the negatives directed at GFF. The people who have done business with her should not be all lumped in the same category unless we know all the circumstances.

I didn't think of it that way although she is selling it in utero and the registration status is very much an unknown. I apologize if it came across as hurtful as that was not even a little bit my intention.

Default question

As this proceeds down the legal road would it be helpful to get statements from area vets that they would not go to JB farms since she has not paid her bill with them? I'm sure all of them went unpaid.
    Could it be used against her in court since she had broodmares,foals and stallions and no vet care?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I didn't think of it that way although she is selling it in utero and the registration status is very much an unknown. I apologize if it came across as hurtful as that was not even a little bit my intention.
    agreed, but if I'm a perspective buyer I'm turned off by the comment and as you said there may or may not be an issue. Assuming she can't remove the comment because it's on RW's page so she's stuck with it unless you remove it
    Sad that I feel the GFF kids need their own page on FB so they can commiserate

Ok but as a prospective buyer shouldn't you know there is an extremely good chance that the stallion owner will not live up to her contractual obligations? I just deleted the comment. I would have happily done that when I posted it if I was asked.

3 members found this post helpful.