The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 126 of 224 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 4466

I'm glad they stepped up....I know I would be so upset if I had spent my hard earned money on a breeding that was not going to happen....this is an option that I can TAKE or NOT....it would be up to me....the stallion selection is very nice...if I didn't take advantage of this offer....then I can wait to see if Jill Burnell will be forced to pay me back...in the year 20?????

SH

1 members found this post helpful.

I also have no dog in this fight, thank god, but just wanted to applaud the SOs who have stepped up to offer help to hurting mare owners. All of them are true class acts, and the personal experiences I have had with some of them proved this to me even before they made these generous offers.

And to the poster who was being so negative, let me tell you that SOs like Kathy, Jennifer, Maggie, and Edgar do not need to offer free breedings to "promote" their own programs. Their reputations and good business practices and treating people well has already done that for them.
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM
    www.everafterfarmsporthorses.com

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    See I also have mixed feelings about this.

The part that I cringe at is that once again, other people are stepping up to cover Jill's bad debts. People paid her stallions' activations with registries in the past when she shafted her clients. Now people are stepping up and providing the service that SHE collected the money for.
    See, I "get" this. And I agree wholeheartedly. But, I remember what it was like to have scrimped and saved way back when to breed to a particular stallion and cannot imagine how devastating something like this would have been. Jill isn't going to benefit from our stepping up and making sure that no one is injured by her transgressions.

And, FWIW, the whole first foal raffle thing? That was a result of EXACTLY what you are referring to. That first foal we raffled we knew in order to market him, we would be basically endorsing her, her farm, her stallions and her behaviors. Couldn't do it. Absolutely could NOT do it. I would have given that foal away before I would have promoted her in any way, shape or form. I've always attempted to make something good come out of something bad and I feel that we managed that to the "9's" and something REALLY good came out of that whole mess. The Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. is directly attributable to Jill Burnell's nefarious and disreputable behaviors. So how cool is that?

'll feel the same way if even one seized horse is returned to her. All of these funds are being spent on medical treatment and horses that were her responsibility. Unfortunately I suspect there will be long drawn out battles with her trying to get the horses back.....
    I agree with you, but at the end of the day, it's not the horses' fault they ended up where they did.
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

8 members found this post helpful.

I've been lurking on this thread for quite a while, and have been utterly appalled at what JB has done to horses, to clients, and to ethical and appropriate business practices. Words fail me (and that doesn't happen often).

But I thank the many thoughtful posters (and Daventry in particular) for educating me. I hope that I never have need to apply what I've learned, but I'll have no excuse after the Master course contained in this thread.

I have no direct involvement in any of the issues or businesses that have been discussed or offered within this thread. But if I were to be breeding this year or if I needed equine appraisal services, I guarantee you I'd start with the generous parties who have offered relief to the shortchanged clients. They and the Marin County ACA are offering concrete help. Class will out, and you have shown yourselves to be absolutely top notch IMHO.

I salute you all, and thank CoTH for providing a place where tangible good can be done.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't think Jill has the money to pay anyone back. The fact that she has been collecting it to begin with borders on fraud. I really do think it's wonderful what these stallion owners are doing.

I just hope that when this is all said and done, Gray Fox Farm will cease to exist because I hate to think of Jill looking at this as having her debts fulfilled by others.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

5 members found this post helpful.

Months ago, when I first told the story on here about my Jill Burnell saga, Kathy St. Martin contacted me and very graciously offered me a free breeding. I'll have to say that as a newbie breeder with one mare (don't roll your eyes, please) who was caught in the GFF mess I was very much touched by her kindness. I can honestly say that it restored my faith in the honesty of SO's.

At the time I wrote back and thanked Kathy for her kind offer, but recent lost my mare (she was a wonderful girl, indeed!). Because of this I won't be breeding my own anytime soon, but I now know which stallion owners I will trust with my business in the future when the time comes for me to buy a foal. It's not about fees or promotion, it's about kindness and doing the right thing for others in our community. So, from a 'little guy' such a me, I wanted to say thank you and that I appreciate you all trying to make this mess of a situation right.

23 members found this post helpful.

Please don't let one naysayer put a damper on what these wonderful folks are doing. I too hate the thought of enabling JB to continue on her merry way while others clean up after her. BUT the bottom line is many people have been affected, there's quite a bit of money that is most likely irretrievable and there are many animals who are the true victims of this callous behavior.

As a mare owner, I can tell you that I will look to these generous Stallion Owners first when looking to breed my girls! You take care of those who take care of you and quite frankly, they have NEVER BEEN part of the problem but they are trying to be part of the solution! <applause, applause!>

If I need an equine appraiser, I know who I'm calling ... and I can tell you that it is a wonderful way to start the New Year ... watching these wonderful folks "paying it forward!"

You have humbled me. I sincerely applaud those of you taking the high road!
    Jan Marquardt
    Walkabout Station
    www.walkaboutstation.com
    Join us on Facebook www.facebook.com/walkaboutstation

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    I've been lurking on this thread for quite a while, and have been utterly appalled at what JB has done to horses, to clients, and to ethical and appropriate business practices. Words fail me (and that doesn't happen often).

But I thank the many thoughtful posters (and Daventry in particular) for educating me. I hope that I never have need to apply what I've learned, but I'll have no excuse after the Master course contained in this thread.

I have no direct involvement in any of the issues or businesses that have been discussed or offered within this thread. But if I were to be breeding this year or if I needed equine appraisal services, I guarantee you I'd start with the generous parties who have offered relief to the shortchanged clients. They and the Marin County ACA are offering concrete help. Class will out, and you have shown yourselves to be absolutely top notch IMHO.

I salute you all, and thank CoTH for providing a place where tangible good can be done.
    100% percent agree! I was *this close* to breeding to Redwine last year, I thank my lucky stars that LaurieRace directed me to a COTH thread re "the mess".

I really wanted to be stupid and believe that it wouldn't happen to me, in the end I was NOT stupid, and as a result, I dealt with Kathy @ Avalon Equine and have a foal by Edward Scissorhands due in April, and I could not be more thankful !!

I have not followed this so much lately. But I should be. I would very much like to bring Diamonette, AKA Enough Said home from being owned by Jill , should there be any possibility. She is about 19 years old now, and I worry what will happen to her. Any information about her would be appreciated, I did contact the Marin County officer long ago, but things get lost in the shuffle.

Also I would like to jump on the band wagon to offer 2013 breeding to Beste Gold for those holding a breeding contract . Breeder to be responsible for collection and shipping and an affadavit of integrity (of sorts) . I will also gladly offer discounts to anyone with proof of donation up to 50% of stud fee to either Beste Gold or our NASPR Sportpony stallion Hot Shot MRF
    (Welsh/Hanoverian pedigree).
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

I am touched by the generosity of the breeders on this forum.

Don't let one naysayer get you down.
    You are generous and thoughtful people. Well done!

3 members found this post helpful.

OKay...I've been brainstorming with a few people in order to make this work and God LOVE Jan Graham Marquardt and Tracy Dopko for their attempts to keep this heading in a positive direction. We (Avalon Equine) will donate a breeding from each of our stallions to Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. Winning bidder will be responsible for collection and shipping, but that's it. Those funds will then be earmarked for Marin County, to help defer the legal expenses in the matter or to help with legal expenses of others who have been harmed. Whadya all think? Anyone else want to throw something in to the mix? I'll put a page up on Leg-Up specifically for this, if everyone here thinks it's a good idea.

Email me privately at kathy@equine-reproduction.com if you want to donate or have other ideas .
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added email address

16 members found this post helpful.

I think it is freaking fantastic, that's what I think! You guys rock! Some of you might not know this but Kathy is one of Jill's first and biggest victims but she has moved on and made a giant batch of lemonade out of her lemons.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Some of you might not know this but Kathy is one of Jill's first and biggest victims but she has moved on and made a giant batch of lemonade out of her lemons.
    And I added Vodka to it so it's even MORE yummy !

18 members found this post helpful.

That's Awesome ER....and here here Laurierace....Spreading the positive word using FB...

SH

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    And I added Vodka to it so it's even MORE yummy !
    Did you drink it out of the awesome shot glasses Miranda sent us for Christmas
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by alliekat View Post
    Did you drink it out of the awesome Shot glasses Miranda sent us for Christmas

No silly....those are for my Tequila ! And shhhh... people are going to get the wrong impression of me! <hiccup>.

I think it's absolutely fantastic what other SOs are stepping up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRick View Post
    From someone who had a breeding to Federalist and received 0 motility and mobility semen twice (learned afterwards he was not up to breeding standards) and who was told that additional funds were needed to change stallions and could not receive a breeding, I applaud all the stallion owners! I cut my losses, but you guys rock and restore all of our faith!
    Knowing who you are...your breeding was won in a contest and was free. I don't dispute you are out vet fees though, but you are not really owed a breeding since you didn't pay for it to begin with.

However, instead of breeding horses, maybe you should also repay the MANY people you left unpaid when you ran from Ca to NY. You are as bad as JB, just not on such a large scale. One of your former clients went as far as to get your wages garnished so she could be repaid. You also killed several stallions, including one owned by a poster here. That stallion was emaciated and had been for who knows how long. Nicole Marin/Hampton Place Stables while here in Ca, Marin Farms in NY. Don't forget the name.

I'm sorry to change the direction of this thread, but I have been sitting on my hands for a while about this. I would hate to see a well meaning stallion owner taken advantage of.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marin...ref=ts&fref=ts

http://www.marinfarmsporthorses.com/
    Last edited by COTHalter44; Jan. 1, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: add name of NY farm and links

6 members found this post helpful.

COTHalter, would you mind starting another thread? I would love to hear all about it but this thread is a million pages as is, lets not muddy the water even more. Out away!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AndNirina View Post
    Months ago, when I first told the story on here about my Jill Burnell saga, Kathy St. Martin contacted me and very graciously offered me a free breeding. I'll have to say that as a newbie breeder with one mare (don't roll your eyes, please) who was caught in the GFF mess I was very much touched by her kindness. I can honestly say that it restored my faith in the honesty of SO's.
    That was exactly what happened to me when I finally voiced on CoTH my story about the trials and tribulations I had with Jill Burnell. Kathy was the very first to message me PRIVATELY and give me her generous offer. I was very taken aback and it really did put my faith back in knowing that there are some incredibly kind people about. Kathy was not the only stallion owner to offer this privately to me and to ALL of them I hope they know how incredibly touched I was. I didn't take them up on it as I am in Canada and there were logistic problems, however another Canadian stallion owner did help me out hugely and to her I am very grateful.

I can understand some people viewing these kind offers with some skepticism but I can assure anyone who thinks these people are jumping on the bandwagon, no they are not. They were offering help well before this Jill Burnell/Gray Fox Farm became a mass public spectacle. Please try to see these stallion owners for what they are; incredibly generous people!

I think what Kathy is doing is amazing, and I HOPE a ton of other stallion owners will join in and get a proper stallion service auction running.

This would be first of all a fantastic way to get much needed funds to the Marin County Humane Society for the horses they'll be bringing in AND for their legal budget, because we all know JB will not just let her horses be seized quietly.

It will also be a fantastic way to spread the word about what kind of person Jill Burnell really is . I think she's reached a pretty amazing level of infamy, but there are still people who I think should know better by now that are talking about her stallions and don't know what's been going on. Most of them do love a good stallion service auction though!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

2 members found this post helpful.