The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2010
    Location
    North AL
    Posts
    825

    Default

    It wouldn't deter me, my OTTB cribbed in his stall some when I got him, but I just kept him on 24/7 turn out (he could run into his stall) for the first 6 months, and he forgot that lovely habit. I moved to a different barn and now have to keep him in half days, but he hasn't cribbed at all that I have noticed, and the BO hasn't mentioned it if he has. He gets a lot of hay and he's just happy now.
    The 15'2 think wouldn't phase me in the least either, a good horse is a good horse. Regardless of a couple of inches!
    OK, maybe you couldn't sell her to a 6 ft rider, but then maybe you can't sell a 16'2+ horse to a 5 ft. rider. I am 5'4" and I prefer them between 15'2 and 16 hands myself. But I just want to have fun and be safe, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn.



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    4,075

    Default

    I am so put off by the video it actually scares me and listen real close as mare approaches the X she sounds like she is displacing her palate...hear a mild grunting...it maybe background noise but listen anyway.
    I saw an anxcious horse carting a kid off who may or may not be a bit more of a hot ride than someone wants..JMO....would not buy her with out trying her....



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2004
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    6,891

    Default

    JBRP, I watched it 2x and all I could hear was road noise. I just think she has a very reasonable attitude for what is barely a reasonable riding / handling situation for a TB mare right off the track. She's pretty amenable to the whole thing.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09




  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,281

    Default

    I (ahem) called too yesterday despite swearing I am done acquiring horses this year -- other useful info, the video was also 2 days after mare's last race. She has the cutest face marking too. I would have bought her yesterday but I really can't do 15.2, I'm 5'10 in my stocking feet and my heels hang below the belly of my 16 hand TB. If I were shorter I'd be out feeding her now.

    The local FFA kids also took her to a county rodeo Friday for fun and she trotted the barrels in a time of 50-something (super-duper-slow). She walked around the grounds calmly, all of this according to the owner of course.

    The previous owners raced the snot out of her (see her record). After buying her the owner gave her 4 months off to let her decompress from the constant racing, put her back in training, ran one race and the filly just didn't want to play any more, did not try at all.

    I only heard road noise too and regardless of the video it is clear her trot is excellent and she really has a good jumping instinct. And while speedy I believe that she will be calm if not slow. I have bought quite a few out of backyards and really think this one is something special.

    The cribbing is a resale point but I'd say 50/50 it goes away if you bring her home and start her on blue pop rocks. I have 2 that crib/chew wood only when their stomachs are acid-y. The instant I see them gnaw on something they get a few weeks of pop rocks and it goes right away. Pop rocks are affordable, too, not like Ulcerguard.

    I have not seen a confo pic but that doesn't bother me when a horse can move out like that. Whatever she's built like is working.

    Sorry for the book, I have a bit of "wish I could buy her" guilt.



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2010
    Location
    North AL
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I (ahem) called too yesterday despite swearing I am done acquiring horses this year -- other useful info, the video was also 2 days after mare's last race. She has the cutest face marking too. I would have bought her yesterday but I really can't do 15.2, I'm 5'10 in my stocking feet and my heels hang below the belly of my 16 hand TB. If I were shorter I'd be out feeding her now.

    The local FFA kids also took her to a county rodeo Friday for fun and she trotted the barrels in a time of 50-something (super-duper-slow). She walked around the grounds calmly, all of this according to the owner of course.

    The previous owners raced the snot out of her (see her record). After buying her the owner gave her 4 months off to let her decompress from the constant racing, put her back in training, ran one race and the filly just didn't want to play any more, did not try at all.

    I only heard road noise too and regardless of the video it is clear her trot is excellent and she really has a good jumping instinct. And while speedy I believe that she will be calm if not slow. I have bought quite a few out of backyards and really think this one is something special.

    The cribbing is a resale point but I'd say 50/50 it goes away if you bring her home and start her on blue pop rocks. I have 2 that crib/chew wood only when their stomachs are acid-y. The instant I see them gnaw on something they get a few weeks of pop rocks and it goes right away. Pop rocks are affordable, too, not like Ulcerguard.

    I have not seen a confo pic but that doesn't bother me when a horse can move out like that. Whatever she's built like is working.

    Sorry for the book, I have a bit of "wish I could buy her" guilt.
    you should really go with that, "guilt" feeling and go get her!



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    I like her. Reminds me of a filly I used to have by Judge Smells. Moves nice even though not relaxed, used her parts well over the log. Could be a spicy ride, maybe not. I agree she looked worried. Didn't hear wind problems? Maybe not as attuned to them as JBRP...



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2008
    Location
    Area IV
    Posts
    286

    Default

    If I wasn't headed to college in a week...I would be calling about her for sure! She looks like my type of horse! I like them short and sensitive. For me as a buyer, light cribbing wouldn't be the end of the world. So anyone out there thinking about getting her as a resale, you'd have a potential buyer in me next summer!



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep. 25, 2003
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    A light cribber doesn't bother me since my horses live outside and don't have much on which to crib (electric fence). It wouldn't turn me off enough to not go have a look, and is always a negotiating point when it comes to price.
    Just a short 3 hour drive from Saugatuck.... Let me know if you need a road trip buddy.



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    NEIN! I have done the math and I have precisely 1.5 horses too many!
    Click here before you buy.



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep. 25, 2003
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    NEIN! I have done the math and I have precisely 1.5 horses too many!
    Psh - don't you have your own barn? There's always room for one more!

    I almost have my husband convinced but I already have one that I'm paying board on and she's been retired for as long as we've been married.



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    Tell you what, Gracious--you buy her and I'll board her here for the winter, no charge. BUT then you have to take her away in the spring!
    Click here before you buy.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2010
    Posts
    203

    Default

    I might be close to this one. If anyone wants me to get a better look, just PM me.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2012
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    How many stalls at your place, DW? Nature hath decreed that however many stalls you have, they all must be filled with horses . . . I have run-ins so I can cheat even worse!



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    Two stalls (although one is a double used for foaling and could be configured into a third) and currently two big mares and a Shetland at home. They live outside, though--the stalls are sort of there for show. I also have two at my trainer's barn, only one of which actually belongs to me.

    I sort of dread when patients innocently ask me "So, how many horses do you have now?" because I can never seem to give a straight answer!

    TOO DANG MANY. I have time for about two of them, tops. It isn't space I'm lacking, it's hours in the day.
    Click here before you buy.



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2012
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    That "how many horses do you have?" question, which I get from virtually everyone passing by, makes me grind my back teeth. Because right after that, they ask "And what do you get for board?" and I can practically watch their brain working like an abacus! Why people think they have a right to demand this information is beyond me--because a "scenic" road runs right through the middle of my place?

    I've been tempted to ask them in return how much they're paying for their mortgage, or if those kids are all really [I]theirs! Just about as personal and obnoxious!



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2004
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    That "how many horses do you have?" question, which I get from virtually everyone passing by, makes me grind my back teeth. Because right after that, they ask "And what do you get for board?" and I can practically watch their brain working like an abacus! Why people think they have a right to demand this information is beyond me--because a "scenic" road runs right through the middle of my place?

    I've been tempted to ask them in return how much they're paying for their mortgage, or if those kids are all really [I]theirs! Just about as personal and obnoxious!


    reminds me .... one of my old running buddies, her husband was the mgr for a premier country club north of Chicago. When I went up to visit her she sat me down next to a guy up at the bar with the intro that he had a daughter who 'had a horse.' She told him I had horse's'. So he conversationally asked me how many. Well, at the time I had about 6-7 of them (stacked in a 4 stall barn, seriously 2 together in a foaling stall, 3 in a paddock). Since he was paying North Chicago trainer board prices I could see him doing the math! He about fell off his barstool.

    But then he'd never go out and pick up $2/bale hay out of the field on a sizzling summer day ....

    note: I've been following this thread. Awesome little mare.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

    -- Tommy Smothers



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,281

    Default

    BTW all, ad is up with price of $800 now. You know you want her, Gracious!



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Sep. 25, 2003
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Tell you what, Gracious--you buy her and I'll board her here for the winter, no charge. BUT then you have to take her away in the spring!
    You drive a hard bargain, DW. Let me see what I can convince DH of...



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct. 8, 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    9,466

    Default

    Just watched the video... yipes! I'm half tempted to just send the money, heh.

    (couldn't hear the sound, but from watching, looks like an awfully nice mare.)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

    My CANTER blog.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,281

    Default

    PS -- watch her race here. Look at that sweet face!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL3-F...endscreen&NR=1



Similar Threads

  1. IHF Midwest Regional
    By Prime Time Rider in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Sep. 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
  2. IHF Midwest Regional
    By Prime Time Rider in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 23, 2012, 12:23 PM
  3. Dressage in the Midwest
    By lillymac in forum Dressage
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan. 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
  4. Midwest windstorms
    By red squirrel ridge in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct. 27, 2010, 09:46 PM
  5. Hay Share in the Midwest??
    By erinwillow in forum Hay
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb. 17, 2008, 01:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness