The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice for a Canadian looking to work in FL

I am considering looking for in FL this winter.

Someone told me that it might be easier to find a job working for another Canadian - as this is apparently a way to be legally employed without needing a visa?

Can anyone tell me how work visas ect "work"?

Do you need to have a employer sponsor you or apply on your behalf for the correct work permits? Can you apply for one yourself before finding a job?

I have also heard that many will pay cash under the table ect and that generally as long as you are white that the "immigration police" or whatever they are called will leave you alone while you're down there.

I would also like to know about Canadian trainers/riders who have barns down there / potentially l

Oops hit post before I was done-

I was going to say Canadian trainers/riders who are potentially looking for a groom/braider/clipper/rider.

You're asking how you can work in the US illegally?

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mare View Post
    You're asking how you can work in the US illegally?
    Come on...

OP is asking how to proceed to get a job in Florida for the winter time.

She 'heard' some people would pay cash and some could get away with it but she asked about working for Canadian folks, and about working visa.

There are a lots of Canadian working every winter in Florida. so I must believe most are legal workers there because wouldn't it be easy for the immigration police to round them up in Wellington or Ocala?!?

@OFM : Get in touch with braiders at Big shows. Talk with BNTs you know who goes to Florida and bring them your resume! Be prepare to work you @ss off! (and enjoy the sun!)

I suspect your best bet would be to work for a Canadian trainer and get paid IN CANADA and into a Canadian bank account. Not sure what the visa regs on that would be, but I know as an employee of a Canadian company I only need a letter, on company letter head, when I travel to the US on company business. Not sure what the rules around length of stay are.

For visas working for US employers, it would probably depend on the nature of the job, and your situation. If you're under 25, I think there are "working student" type visas out there.

I'd avoid the cash under the table approach - both from an ethical perspective, and more practically, it could really mess you up long term if you were caught!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

A friend of mine did post on fb that she was looking for a groom with FEI experience to show in FL this winter.
    PM me if you are interested and fit the criteria.

Same here also know someone who is looking for a groom/ rider this winter from late october till April. Pm me for more info..

Kindly A

David Marcus is looking for a groom
    is looking for a full time professional groom to assist in the care taking of competition horses and youngsters at home and at shows. Summers in Canada and winters in Florida. PM me for further details.
    Via his FB page

http://www.davidmarcusdressage.com/
    Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

... _. ._ .._. .._

That's as much as a sales pitch as it is news

Back to the "benefit of working for a Canadian" - check into your province's health care laws. If you are an employee of a CANADIAN employer they may be obliged to pay some portion of your healthcare, and if you structure it correctly, and are gone for a short enough period of time, you may be able to keep your Canadian health insurance. I did this when I spent 10 months in Europe as an Au Pair in my early 20's - I was able to keep my OHIP as they viewed the trip as a working vacation when I reviewed it with them. I know OHIP has changed significantly since then, but still worth looking into.

Make sure you get extended travel insurance regardless tho!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."