The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pleasant, experienced hunter pony trainer in north or north-central FL?

I have a cute medium with an unmistakable autoswap who is being ridden by a weak beginner and as a result learning to rubberneck his way around stuff he doesn't want to confront. He's only three, however. So, all I want is to send him to someone who can put a course on him, even if it is just little x-rails (he's done mostly poles and crossrail singles and doubles, but no courses -- he hasn't been actually jumped all that much at all). My goal is to show off his unusual qualities and easy lead change...in a video. I'm hoping this goal wouldn't take more than a month with him staying at the trainer's place and getting schooled 3-4 times/week. He has a solid foundation, thanks to a more experienced (but too tall) rider who worked with him a bit. After going away for a month of "school," I'd probably give him the rest of the year off or just have him hacked by the beginner, a tiny teenager, who hopefully will improve her skills enough to show him by spring.

I'm asking around here on COTH because I'm finding it hard to find someone to "just" help me accomplish this simple goal, not "finish" the pony. This guy is too young to be perfecting anything, but I would really like to get a video of his raw talent.

BTW, do you think that's unreasonable of me? I'd like to know if I'm looking for the un-find-able because I don't want to offend anyone as I look around. (Did that once already, but the communication lines just weren't open anyway, if you know what I mean!).

Of course, I'd also love to hook up with someone who is active on the circuit, since I will have two 4-year-olds to get out come winter, especially if the trainer shows Jacksonville, Atlanta and HITS. But I must manage my money, so I'll never be the kind of client that can just slip into a program. I can't afford it, alas, and my little teenager has a good, albeit western, seat to do the legwork a lot more cheaply. (She just has no hands, no legs and no clue how to steer or send them forward.)

So, if anyone knows someone really, really professional and decently set up (I dream of a nicely dressed course and picture-pretty facility, even though I can't afford to be a full-time client of such a place!), I'd sure appreciate a lead. I'm near Gainesville, but I'd travel as far as Tallahasse or Jacksonville-- not Ocala since I don't want to work with anyone in that area that I haven't worked with before. Silly of me, but I feel a certain loyalty.)

Oh, two more criteria: a pleasant attitude and exclusively hunter-oriented. Is that person still out there (used to be!). Someone who can hop on a talented greenie and show it off w/o taking four months to do so? Are these wants and desires unreasonable for this day and age? Seriously! I'll try something else if that's the concensus. I realize things have changed.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

I read your entire post, really, but since you will send him away for a month why don't you contact Bill Schaub (Over the Hill Farm) who's a little east of Orlando.

At least make a connection so when you're ready to get serious, you can talk to him.

Zoe and Oscar Hernandez of Santa Rosa Stables. Zoe is a *gorgeous*, soft rider and very petite; perfect for the ponies. They also have several small statured juniors (one of whom used to be a pony pro for Bill) who are incredible when it comes to the pony if the need arises. They own K-59 Jump Co. and have an unreal custom course set up in their 23 acre riding field. Top notch full-service care for a very, very reasonable rate. I PM'd you their contact info.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Wynn, I am not sure who she is riding with right now, but I highly recommend Piper Moore. She is great with the greenies. I can get in contact with her and her mom for you if you would like. If so message me you number and I will forward it to them
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Thanks, alliekat. I'd appreciate that. Y'know, I'd send him up to Atlanta, too -- I have a friend up there and I've only had a pony show at the horse park once. Always wanted to spend more time there.

Anyone know if there's a "Barn Book" for Georgia like there is for Florida?
    Sportponies Unlimited

Punkie, I thought I'd been there before, but they didn't have a big riding field. Did they move in the past couple of years?
    Sportponies Unlimited

Jamie Gibson
    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue

Katie Young of Coriander Farm in Jacksonville normally has a bunch of pony kids. Not sure if they do much with training ponies for that short a time. She's always been super friendly and nice at the shows in Jacksonville.

Ella Rukin of Wynfield Farm in Gainesville is a smaller time trainer but is super super nice and small enough to train the ponies herself. She has several of her own that she's trained up. Not sure how much she travels to shows and such but definitely does the local stuff in Gainesville and Ocala.

Hey Wynn. In a couple of months or so, we will be set up in at the new farm in Charleston and will be taking in some outside ponies for training. I'll let you know when we are able to take on any if you are interested. My asst. trainer, Alyssa, is doing a great job with all of our youngsters. I can give you some references of outside ponies we have worked with and of course, you can see some of our own on the website.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Sent you a pm....if your looking for a little rider for a video.

I highly recommend Sally Harvey. I don't know exactly what she is up to today, but she's a lovely person, and wonderful to her ponies.

Charleston, SC?

Y'know, I was born there, so I won't forget! Will you be doing HITS?

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverponies View Post
    Hey Wynn. In a couple of months or so, we will be set up in at the new farm in Charleston and will be taking in some outside ponies for training. I'll let you know when we are able to take on any if you are interested. My asst. trainer, Alyssa, is doing a great job with all of our youngsters. I can give you some references of outside ponies we have worked with and of course, you can see some of our own on the website.
    Sportponies Unlimited

I hope so! Can I come visit you?? Would love to get together finally! My farm building project is crazy, but we are getting there - will be great when it is done. We bought 70 acres so I will have lots more room to work with
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com