The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CL Horse - What's on his nose?

http://showhorsegallery.com/random/cremellohorse.jpg
    http://showhorsegallery.com/random/cremellohorse2.jpg

ALSO FOR SALE IS A 3 YEAR OLD CARMELLO STUD WITH NO PAPERS. SOLID WHITE WITH BLUE EYES. PRINCE IS BROKE AND RIDABLE AND DOES NOT ACT LIKE A STALLION AT ALL. HE IS CALM AND WILL PLAY WITH YOU SOMETIMES. HE IS A BIG OLD BABYAND HAS NOT HAD ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS SINCE BORN. WE ARE ASKING $500 A PIECE FOR THESE TWO HORSES
    This guy is obviously underweight and sad looking. Is that a sore on his nose or just dirt?

Also, is this a viable upgrade and flip? I'd probably offer $0-$100 if I tried to get him seeing how he'd need to be gelded.

Looks like dirt. Poor guy, his pink nose is getting sunburnt. I would lowball, and geld since he has no papers.

looks like a dirty halter rub to me...

That poor guy. There is no telling what is going on with that horse's nose or the rest of his body. What a sick/sad situation. The horse is malnurished...they might be willing to give him away if you inquire.

Carmello? LOL

Poor guy probably doesn't have the energy to act up.

It's hard to tell in the picture if it's a rub or dirt.

In today's market, I don't see you making much if anything trying to flip him. Of course I'm in Texas. The market might be better where you are.

He could use definitely use an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    Carmello? LOL

Poor guy probably doesn't have the energy to act up.

It's hard to tell in the picture if it's a rub or dirt.

In today's market, I don't see you making much if anything trying to flip him. Of course I'm in Texas. The market might be better where you are.

He could use definitely use an upgrade.
    I don't care about making money. I would consider it a success if I was able to re-sell him and only loose a couple hundred dollars.

The market here is not consistent. My concern is that his color would make him harder to re-sell. Maybe if he was a breeding quality specimen the color would be a bonus but for a Gelding is seems like a strike against him.

I'd be happy to get him, geld him, train him up a bit and try to find him a new home but I don't want to get stuck with him long term or lose a ton of money.

It looks like a combination of dirt and a halter rub. Like they left one on until he got some rain rot/fungus under it and took it off.

Poor guy is right. He looks like he could be a tough horse to flip. He gives me the impression of being a smaller horse. With weight me might perk on up, maybe a bit too much. With his coat color and eye color people either love cremellos and/or blue eyes or they hate it.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    It looks like a combination of dirt and a halter rub. Like they left one on until he got some rain rot/fungus under it and took it off.

Poor guy is right. He looks like he could be a tough horse to flip. He gives me the impression of being a smaller horse. With weight me might perk on up, maybe a bit too much. With his coat color and eye color people either love cremellos and/or blue eyes or they hate it.
    I have the same concerns about the size of him and his coat color. I want to help him if I can but while I'm willing to upgrade one Craiglist or rescue horse in the next few months (and he's probably the saddest I've seen since I've been checking in my area) I don't want to get stuck with a horse that is difficult to rehome. On the other hand I feel like I could help him.

So wait...does he have a soft carmel filling or something?

Yeah...his nose has to feel hot and crinkly. Poor guy. He needs sunblock, shade and a fly mask.

And groceries.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My neighbor down the road breeds and sells AQHA cremello's, some going as far away as FL and CA. They usually sell pretty quickly.
    http://www.kimbleranch.com/

I honestly think if you take him in, feed him, work him in the round pen to put some muscle on his butt, shoulders and neck, a bit of elbow grease into his coat so it shines up he could make a great resell.
    Reiners and calf ropers love their small square horses...I know there isn't a huge market down in FL, but Alabama is just a half a day away. If he has a good temperament he could even make a decent kids horse. Can you imagine a little boy painting him up for Halloween, or Easter? (my friends white boxer was frequently made into an Easter egg with non toxic markers).
    Katherine
    Proudly owned by 7 horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 1 Turkey
    www.piattfarms.com

Just check for any soundness issues, that could leave you with a burden...pay close attention to his right hind...he's resting it in both photos, but it doesn't appear to be a "lazy" rest? Sore maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    I don't care about making money. I would consider it a success if I was able to re-sell him and only loose a couple hundred dollars.

The market here is not consistent. My concern is that his color would make him harder to re-sell. Maybe if he was a breeding quality specimen the color would be a bonus but for a Gelding is seems like a strike against him.

I'd be happy to get him, geld him, train him up a bit and try to find him a new home but I don't want to get stuck with him long term or lose a ton of money.
    The color would be a turn off for me personally. Actually, more that he's cremello. I have a white horse (maximum white sabino?) but he has brown eyes. He's not photosensitive and doesn't burn like you would expect. That said, there are people who like cremellos and perlinos, so he might not be hard to sell. He would be my FIL's dream horse.

I know, that wasn't helpful. Sorry. I don't think you can really have any guarantee that any horse you buy will be saleable.

Dirty halter rub.

He's not that underweight. Maybe out of shape/condition. Or maybe I am just jaded by seeing far worse horses than him.

I can't believe he's not gelded. Please do the world a favor & get him so his hoo-hoos can be removed.

Poor guy looks so sad! I hope someone gives him an upgrade!
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post
    looks like a dirty halter rub to me...
    My thought as well.

Um, geez. He's not severely underweight but he's thin and clearly not fit from working, but I don't think feeding up would fix built uphill, though it's had to say since he's not standing square in either photo. He might clean up nice and he'll probably look a lot better with some muscle on him, though I promise if you geld him from some circles you'll get "Why did you geld him, he's such a pretty color!" (Personally I hate cremellos but whatever, some people like them.) But he's not built well to make him worth breeding...if there's a market for little stock horses where you are AND he has the brains for it once he's in shape, yeah, maybe there's a price increase on him.

I dunno. How much of a gambler are you?

Personally, from a former fulltimehorsefixerupper (now only have one fixer upper and we're keeping him), if you can swing it and know you MAY lose some money, I say go for him, but for buying really cheap. He's a perfect candidate. However, once he gets some groceries, even without his cojones, he may be a sweetie or a raving nutter or something in between. I don't think he'd be a nutter, just from his eyes, but I've been fooled a time or two.

Once he has some weight, you get the mohawk trimmed up, he gets some muscle, you may be pleasantly surprised what is under there. A good saddle horse is what you're aiming for. If he turns out to have some ability for, say, cutting (not likely, spitballing here), then you can turn him to someone who can take him further (or you can do it yourself).

Just keep an eyeball on the money. If you can give shots and worm by yourself, get a nice trim job on the hoofies and lots of elbow grease, you'll have a nice little saddle horse without too much $$ going out of the door.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Actually, I don't think he's a true Cremello. The dark spot on his lip and, it looks like on his jaw, I think you have a Paint there. Maybe a cremello Paint?? I don't know what you call these types of Paints, but they are basically white with some dark color (like a deep gray) just under the white, if that makes sense.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Personally, from a former fulltimehorsefixerupper (now only have one fixer upper and we're keeping him), if you can swing it and know you MAY lose some money, I say go for him, but for buying really cheap. He's a perfect candidate. However, once he gets some groceries, even without his cojones, he may be a sweetie or a raving nutter or something in between. I don't think he'd be a nutter, just from his eyes, but I've been fooled a time or two.

Once he has some weight, you get the mohawk trimmed up, he gets some muscle, you may be pleasantly surprised what is under there. A good saddle horse is what you're aiming for. If he turns out to have some ability for, say, cutting (not likely, spitballing here), then you can turn him to someone who can take him further (or you can do it yourself).

Just keep an eyeball on the money. If you can give shots and worm by yourself, get a nice trim job on the hoofies and lots of elbow grease, you'll have a nice little saddle horse without too much $$ going out of the door.
    I've been looking at sale ads in my area and the only ones that are being given away or priced for under a $1000 are either trainwrecks or completely untrained or green broke horses or OTTB with bows or other injuries. The only ones I've seen for sale cheaply that are trained are very old.

I'm going to text the owner and ask about the height and see how negotiable they are on the price.

There's another CL mare I like too that is a 15.3 dark bay app with a small small blanket for $200 but she has no papers.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Actually, I don't think he's a true Cremello. The dark spot on his lip and, it looks like on his jaw, I think you have a Paint there. Maybe a cremello Paint?? I don't know what you call these types of Paints, but they are basically white with some dark color (like a deep gray) just under the white, if that makes sense.
    You might be right about that. It's hard to tell from the photos though. If he is I wonder if the Paint Horse Association gives out hardship papers for sterilized horses?

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    You might be right about that. It's hard to tell from the photos though. If he is I wonder if the Paint Horse Association gives out hardship papers for sterilized horses?
    I don't know about the Paint Horse folks, but the Pinto people do. http://pinto.org/information/12_registration.pdf