The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Since it can be said that we might have lost some of our brains due to Olympic burnout, let me post the USEA records for the team horses and the alternates.

Cambalda:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=117468

Atlas:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=141480

Downtown Harrison:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=127766

Loughan Glen:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=130195

Alternates:

The Apprentice:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=139046

Pawlow:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=120066

I do think it's an interesting team. My initial reaction was to the almost permanent position Buck seems to have on an alternate list. The next and almost immediate cause of my Wide Mouth Bass impression was seeing Cambalda on the list. Now I am a fan of Jennie's and definitely a fan of Ping, but he is back from an injury and hasn't even contested an Advanced level event yet this year. He hasn't seen an advanced xc jump since Richland Park in August of 2011. So as much as he can win it all, I can't help but mesh the thoughts about Luhmuhlen 2011 and that disaster and his injury, and I wonder why he got a team spot above a sound Pawlow and Buck? No offense, he and Jennie are a fantastic team and sure in 7 weeks you can do tons... but shouldn't a horse that is back, fit, healthy and going advanced again be on the plane? Not saying she shouldn't take a stab on her own dime, but a horse coming off a layoff that's run 1 prelim and 1 Int is being paid for by USEF. That to me is something I cannot wrap my head around. But in fairness, maybe it's because I am still reeling from our stellar Olympic result.

I am glad to see Clark get a spot as I thought they had done well in the run up to the games.. And I hope that we get another awesome streaking video out of Jon! I don't question Phillip going it's a nice young horse. Hasn't competed since Bromont, but Phillip was doing the Olympic thing and I am sure the rest of the TPF team has kept Atlas at his peak.

Kind of wondering where a few from Bromont and Jersey went and if they applied.

I don't know. I just kind of read the press release and was wondering if these 6 were in fact the only 6 applicants.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Since it can be said that we might have lost some of our brains due to Olympic burnout, let me post the USEA records for the team horses and the alternates.

Cambalda:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=117468

Atlas:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=141480

Downtown Harrison:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=127766

Loughan Glen:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=130195

Alternates:

The Apprentice:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=139046

Pawlow:
    http://useventing.com/competitions/p...orse_id=120066

I do think it's an interesting team. My initial reaction was to the almost permanent position Buck seems to have on an alternate list. The next and almost immediate cause of my Wide Mouth Bass impression was seeing Cambalda on the list. Now I am a fan of Jennie's and definitely a fan of Ping, but he is back from an injury and hasn't even contested an Advanced level event yet this year. He hasn't seen an advanced xc jump since Richland Park in August of 2011. So as much as he can win it all, I can't help but mesh the thoughts about Luhmuhlen 2011 and that disaster and his injury, and I wonder why he got a team spot above a sound Pawlow and Buck? No offense, he and Jennie are a fantastic team and sure in 7 weeks you can do tons... but shouldn't a horse that is back, fit, healthy and going advanced again be on the plane? Not saying she shouldn't take a stab on her own dime, but a horse coming off a layoff that's run 1 prelim and 1 Int is being paid for by USEF. That to me is something I cannot wrap my head around. But in fairness, maybe it's because I am still reeling from our stellar Olympic result.

I am glad to see Clark get a spot as I thought they had done well in the run up to the games.. And I hope that we get another awesome streaking video out of Jon! I don't question Phillip going it's a nice young horse. Hasn't competed since Bromont, but Phillip was doing the Olympic thing and I am sure the rest of the TPF team has kept Atlas at his peak.

Kind of wondering where a few from Bromont and Jersey went and if they applied.

I don't know. I just kind of read the press release and was wondering if these 6 were in fact the only 6 applicants.

~Emily
    My thoughts exactly!!!

I try to avoid these types of threads but...

I'm with you, Em.

Jennie is a good rider and deserves her shot. And I think that is going to be one hell of a horse with a little more time, but I REALLY can't believe we're wasting grant money on him AT THIS POINT. Is there really nothing else worth sending? I also don't like it because I'm afraid Jennie will feel pressured to rush him along, post injury, to get him fit and ready for Boekleo. Not a good thing.

I'm also a little up in the air about Phillip. I can see both sides of the argument, but can't decide quite where I fall.

Pavlov is listed as an "Irish Thoroughbred".

How in the name of God does someone conclude that a horse sired by a Hanoverian stallion out of a dam by a Holsteiner stallion is a TB? I mean, it's one thing if you don't know the horse's breeding, but you know the sire and dam (as you've obviously listed them) and then you call the horse a TB.

Popcorn...anyone?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I try to avoid these types of threads but...

I'm with you, Em.

Jennie is a good rider and deserves her shot. And I think that is going to be one hell of a horse with a little more time, but I REALLY can't believe we're wasting grant money on him AT THIS POINT. Is there really nothing else worth sending? I also don't like it because I'm afraid Jennie will feel pressured to rush him along, post injury, to get him fit and ready for Boekleo. Not a good thing.

I'm also a little up in the air about Phillip. I can see both sides of the argument, but can't decide quite where I fall.

Well, we have no idea who applied for the grant. I think the list is good. I like having some more experienced riders on their youngsters and new riders. Ping has been back in full work for a while (Jennie was hurt). He skipped around Millbrook Intermediate easily (and that was a stiff intermediate) and I'm sure will have run an advanced before this event. I have no issue sending them. This is certainly a pair if I was a selector I would be prepping for WEG and Rio....and as a rider, she does have more horses in her string besides Ping that are also quality...so worth the investment to me.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Funny, I forgot about Jennie being hurt.

And, you're right....we have no idea who applied. And with that in mind, considering some who may have applied and didn't get a grant, I'm happy with this list.

Re the question of why CMP is still on board ... My understanding is that CMP is in the job until Dec. 31st.

CMP is the coach until the week after Christmas. Jon and Clark are solid candidates, and will do GREAT work overseas. So thrilled for them. Jennie is a great friend of mine, but I can't help but wonder why she's once again listed with a grant? She got one for Bramham in 2009 and cracked under pressure. Then she went to Luhmuhlen last year and didn't even complete. Ping is a bit of a chicken s**t XC, so she will have ALL her work cut out for her. I am not a big fan of Phillip, but this is a bloody nice horse.
    Will Faudree continues to be a stalwart to the waiting list and he always is graceful and puts in a competitive ride.
    Buck, with mediocre results, continues to be listed and I have NO CLUE why. This horse had a spotty spring and watching it at Bromont was terrifying.
    If I had a say, I'd have sent Jan Byyny, Michael Pollard, Lainey Ashker or someone along those lines. Don't get me wrong, I love Jennie, but something's got to give. Pinger hasn't done an advanced horse trial in a year, and hasn't completed a 3day since Galway '10.

Are applications public or posted somewhere?

Is anyone else aching to support a good team somehow, someway? Please give us something or someone to cheer for, that will do well, or die trying! (Well, not die, of course.)
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

A lot of the up and comers have had mixed international results, including both Michael Pollard and Laine Ashker (who doesn't have a three star horse at this time-I would imagine they think Al is too experienced). I think they're both very talented riders and definitely people the US should be keeping a close eye on but I wouldn't say that the argument for either of them is any stronger than the argument for Jennie Brannigan. I've never noticed her horse to look reluctant or chicken on xc so maybe that's a reputation that hasn't spread.

Re Buck, where's his mare from the Pan Ams?

This competition is at an odd time and it seems like we're scrambling for appropriate combinations developmentally, yet again. If you removed the whole excitement of travelling to compete for your country, sort of, out of it, I bet a lot of riders would prefer to stay home and do Fair Hill in preparation for Rolex next year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they get a pinque coat out of it, do they?

I think a good list of riders and horses, but do wonder on Cambalda, but understand Jennie should go as she is definitely one of the riders of tomorrow. What do they do about Jon getting eliminated in show jumping last week, does that maybe make him a doubt for sending over seas? Should they spend more money on Loughan Glen when he has already been to europe on Uset's dime already this summer. He must have gained an tremendous amount of experience from that, maybe another combination should now have the money invested in them instead? Understand they should send one senior rider, but based on PDs performance at London, is he the right one to send??? Interested to know others thoughts on these doubts i had.

NCRider- no they don't get coats. They only get saddle pads, coolers, etc. I think. I've seen footage, and last year Boyd ran XC in his regular colors. I'm assuming, the USEF uses at as an "unofficial" team competition. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I think because it's an FEI Eventing Nations Cup that it is an official Team, but whether it is considered enough of a Team to warrant a red coat is a completely different question.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Jennie's entered in the Adv. on Ping at Richland Park this weekend. I guess her numerous wins from 2011 don't mean anything at this point, even though the horse is only 10 years old. Give me a break. I don't have any loyalty to her one way or another, but it irks me that everyone wants to attack her just because she hasn't been running the horse's legs off. This could be a good thing, let's wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by gorebels91 View Post
    NCRider- no they don't get coats. They only get saddle pads, coolers, etc. I think. I've seen footage, and last year Boyd ran XC in his regular colors. I'm assuming, the USEF uses at as an "unofficial" team competition. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by gold2012 View Post
    We already asked Jon what he plans on doing if he wins....

He said, I hope I have to think something up....LOL. Great team, but agree, don't think we needed to send PD.

Anyone know what happened to Jon & DH this weekend at Full Gallop? Seems uncharacteristic for this horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Carried Away View Post
    Jennie's entered in the Adv. on Ping at Richland Park this weekend. I guess her numerous wins from 2011 don't mean anything at this point, even though the horse is only 10 years old. Give me a break. I don't have any loyalty to her one way or another, but it irks me that everyone wants to attack her just because she hasn't been running the horse's legs off.
    'Everyone wants to attack her'?

People are questioning the selection of this horse due to its lack of results. That is an objective measure. The horse has no CCI numerical results since 2010 and no FEI level results at all in the past year.

Most of the time, these same posters have also made positive remarks about Jennie and her future.

FWIW, if it were my horse, 'numerous wins from 2011' wouldn't mean much in terms of its readiness for Boekelo CCI*** in October 2012. It's about current form, not last year.

Jon is such a classy guy, he wrote about Full Gallop here. I suspect one bad day in 8 years.......that makes him set for 2 WEGS, 2 olympics and other numerous things! Just being silly, but here's a link!

http://www.hollingeventing.com/holli...ll-Gallop.aspx
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Just for kicks, who are the horse rider combinations who would be at the right stage of development to be considered for something like this grant, if they had applied?
    I assume it would be horses looking at doing a first four star next year. Anything interesting out west?

I think it would be interesting to take this list and compare it to who actually makes it to that four star next year.

Also, any idea of any horses the Canadians have in the pipeline?