The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Boekelo Grants Announced

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article...ts-boekelo-cci

Not sure.. because you don't know who or how many applied, but it's "interesting."

Is DOC in charge of this or are they all on their own, which is fine for this group. Just curious.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    https://www.chronofhorse.com/article...ts-boekelo-cci

Not sure.. because you don't know who or how many applied, but it's "interesting."

Is DOC in charge of this or are they all on their own, which is fine for this group. Just curious.

Emily

The article states: "Captain Mark Phillips will serve as chef d'equipe. Incoming technical advisor for the U.S. eventing team, David O'Connor, will serve as coach at the Boekelo CCI***."

I think this is part of the job shadowing that was initially contemplated for the new coach.

All I could think of after reading the article was that I thought we were through with CMP. I'm pretty sure DOC knows his around coaching an upper level team, so really, is there any need for CMP to stick around?
    Last edited by RacetrackReject; Aug. 17, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    All I could think of after reading the article was that I was we were through with CMP. I'm pretty sure DOC knows his around coaching an upper level team, so really, is there any need for CMP to stick around?
    I was curious about that as well. Does CMP get paid for this? I thought the US was done with him.

Ditto the comments on DOC & CMP....I'm curious why OP finds the choices "interesting". I think it's a great team.

A great list--congrats to all! And three from Chester county
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

People always talk about getting younger riders some international experience and then we spend grant money on Dutton. I'm not knocking PD but I think a grant for a younger rider would have been in the better interests of developing a team for WEG or the next Olympics. I think if you want to develop for the long term you have to sometimes sacrifice trying to win the in between events.

3 out of 4 isn't bad for younger riders...would have loved to see Hannah Burnett & Harbour Pilot though!

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    People always talk about getting younger riders some international experience and then we spend grant money on Dutton. I'm not knocking PD but I think a grant for a younger rider would have been in the better interests of developing a team for WEG or the next Olympics. I think if you want to develop for the long term you have to sometimes sacrifice trying to win the in between events.
    THIS ^
    Although like Carried Away I'm glad to see so younger riders.

While I'd like to say Jennie on Cambalda is a great choice the horse was injured and off for almost a year and just now coming back. Certainly they are a very talented pair but is it a good use of funds to send them to Europe right now?

We already asked Jon what he plans on doing if he wins....

He said, I hope I have to think something up....LOL. Great team, but agree, don't think we needed to send PD.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

OTOH, it could be very helpful to send a veteran over with the young'uns. And who better than Phil?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Atlas is one of Philip's less experienced/younger/newer UL horses. Getting him time in Europe could be a good thing if Philip thinks he's a contender for WEG.

Quote Originally Posted by Uno, The Great Escape View Post
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Atlas is one of Philip's less experienced/younger/newer UL horses. Getting him time in Europe could be a good thing if Philip thinks he's a contender for WEG.
    Definitely a good point but I hope you mean if the selectors (or whoever determines the grants) think he is a contender for the WEG. I'm sure there are a lot of riders at the 3* level that feel their horses are contenders for WEG, don't think all of them are getting Boekelo grants.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    OTOH, it could be very helpful to send a veteran over with the young'uns. And who better than Phil?
    ^^This. He should be able to tell them what to expect and how to handle different situations one could encounter while competing overseas. Plus he is one to command respect as he "appears" to have always conducted himself well.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    ^^This. He should be able to tell them what to expect and how to handle different situations one could encounter while competing overseas. Plus he is one to command respect as he "appears" to have always conducted himself well.
    Isn't that what CMP and DOC are being paid to do?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Isn't that what CMP and DOC are being paid to do?

LOL - I knew someone would say or ask this.
    Yes they are. But haven't we all, at least once, accepted the comments of a fellow competitor better that those of a coach/trainer/parent or spouse? Our fellow competitors "know" what is we are facing at "that" event. Comments from anyone not riding, while usually accurate, are often viewed as yeah, yeah that is how you did it when you were competing.
    The comments of someone who is riding the same ground, jumps, etc is often better received.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

If the riders aren't going to pay attention to DOC then maybe he's the wrong guy for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    If the riders aren't going to pay attention to DOC then maybe he's the wrong guy for the job.
    Please re-read the post.

Do you do everything, I mean everything, that your trainer tells you? If NO, that doesn't mean you don't listen to or respect your trainer, it just means you have your own mind.

My guess is you do trust your trainer, but there are times you question what they say.
    This is normal and to be expected.
    At those times, individuals often listen to a respected fellow competitors. Who, by the way, usually say essentially the same thing.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I'm confused. First there is all this talk about riders not having the right horses prepared in time for the big events - and then as soon as a team rider gets some financial help to take what is probably the horse he has earmarked for WEG and Rio to a European 3*, you're all asking why he's going?!

Unfortunately funding is limited. People have to make some choices about where they spend it. Like someone else said, there's probably a whole lot of other 3* riders out there who would have liked the chance, but you have to spend the money on the people that you think you'll get the most benefit out of. Obviously PD and Atlas are a combination that your selectors see some worth in investing in.

And its a team event. I think its a rare team that doesn't benefit from having an experienced older member as part of it ... apart from the fact that he knows a few other riders there I'm sure so can help the younger riders set up a few contacts, he can share experiences and be someone else who's not a selector/coach to talk through concerns with.

YAY Jennie!!!!!!!