The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Riding in Jeans ... NOT

How can I convince a friend to ride in breeches when all the men at the barn school in jeans? Jeans and half-chaps, even in our hot humid summers. The only time I see men riding in breeches around here is at shows.

I know women who do not like anyone else borrowing their saddles if the anyone is going to wear jeans. Something about inside seams rubbing the leather. That, I understand.

I ride in schooling tights, even when I ride western, because that is what is comfortable for me, year round. But then I am not built for jeans; they seem to be designed more for (many) men than for (some) women.

Do men just find jeans more comfortable than breeches? Are they saving their breeches for shows? I understand why they don't want to wear schooling tights ...
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

A lot of men think their breeches make them look "gay" and "unmanly", that's why they suffer to wear jeans. Silly gits

Can't stand jeans for riding, myself. I wouldn't let anyone use my saddle if they had on jeans or full chaps.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Psssh I couldn't pay my SO to wear breeches! I JUST convinced him to wear a helmet. I'll pick my battles.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    How can I convince a friend to ride in breeches when all the men at the barn school in jeans?
    I ride in schooling tights, even when I ride western, because that is what is comfortable for me, year round.
    I don't understand why you'd need to convince them unless they is borrowing a saddle?

You ride in what's comfortable for you, and I'm assuming no one gives you a hard time. If they're comfortable with what they're wearing and there is no barn dress code or saddle (other than their own) what's the harm?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

well I am a woman, and I like to ride in jeans, english, western whatever unless I am showing, some of us just prefer it

My SO wears breeches and half chaps while riding. He says they're more comfortable and...erm...supportive...
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Yeah, I ride 5-6 horses every day. I wear jeans and chaps. Granted my saddles are not made of whatever crazy soft easily damaged baby animal skin that is so popular now, but they seem to hold up okay-- I have had one of them 15 years and I bet I've ridden in it five or six thousand times, 95% in jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    How can I convince a friend to ride in breeches when all the men at the barn school in jeans? Jeans and half-chaps, even in our hot humid summers.
    Are they borrowing saddles? Then the owner of the saddle needs to say something.

If not, leave it alone.

I prefer to ride in jeans. Hasn't done anything to my saddle either.

I do like riding in jeans as well. Mostly out of convenience. Riding is comfortable to me like this, just as comfortable as breeches. Though after I finish riding and doing barn work, my jeans are heavy with sweat in this humidity! Not ideal, but whatever. I see a lot of girls in breeches that have visible swamp ass. I wouldn't mind that so much, since I have my horses at home but I don't know if I'd like it in a large boarding barn!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Burbank View Post
    well I am a woman, and I like to ride in jeans, english, western whatever unless I am showing, some of us just prefer it
    This is me. I wear Wrangler boot-cuts to ride more often than breeches and if I wear riding pants I have Irideon boot-cut breeches. Only rarely do I bust out actual breeches and tall boots. (I don't wear half-chaps, either, I wear heeled hiking boots. Note that I use "Prussian" stirrups with no rubber pads, I wouldn't suggest this with stirrup pads.)

The old lady in our barn rides in breeches, and everyone else rides in jeans. I'll do jods or jeans. It's a SS barn, so showing up in breeches or tights is setting yourself up for a lot of ridicule. It's a rough crowd.

ETA: We all have clip on underpasses to keep the pant legs down - no need for half chaps.
    Last edited by red mares; Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM.

I ALWAYS ride in jeans, Wrangler Q-Babys. They have a smooth inside seam, I've never had an issue with rubbing. All day rides too.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I'd be more worried of the seam (the fat seam most jeans have on the inside) rubbing the other side, not the saddle...

considering that men's breeches aren't as easy to come by in the US...meh, small problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I love riding in yoga pants, or breeches. But I wouldn't feel the need to convince someone else to change what they wear, as long as they're comfortable.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Given how grossly unflattering tights are for the majority of people wearing them, and ditto to a certain extent breeches, it shouldn't be shocking that some people prefer jeans. I own all of the above, and find that cotton jeans feel more breathable and less sticky than a mixed-fiber knit fabric.

I often ride in jeans because I change clothes before I leave work, and I would feel quite odd changing into breeches and boots and prancing around the office.

I have some very stretchy jeans and find them just as comfortable to ride in as breeches. Saddle is fine as well. It's really just personal preference.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I ride in jeans every day...I hate the way I look and feel in breeches
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I ride in jeans...old navy skinny jeans, with chaps (full). I have an Antares saddle with Buffalo leather, and it's about 8 yrs old and still looks new. No large inside seam to chafe or damage saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I often ride in jeans because I change clothes before I leave work, and I would feel quite odd changing into breeches and boots and prancing around the office.

I have some very stretchy jeans and find them just as comfortable to ride in as breeches. Saddle is fine as well. It's really just personal preference.

but prancing is fashionable now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I can't imagine why you need to convince someone else of this. Just go with what's comfortable : I've ridden in jeans in pretty much any kind of saddle and never had a rubbing issue on me or on the saddle. I think this is a live and let live kind of thing.