The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default We should be very proud of the COTH community

We should be very proud of this online community. The support shown to Tamara on this board is unbelievable.

Also support to others when they have to put down a beloved horse, or have questions or tragedies in their life.

Sometimes we loose sight of things and get mad at what others post, but all in all I think it is a great online community that has a fountain of knowledge and wisdom as well as compassion.

Good on all of you for supporting one of our own.

Just wanted to say thanks on behalf of all those that have been or will be helped because of COTH and thank you to the management of COTH for making it possible as well as all the sponsors.

Well said.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Sorry to disagree so soon, but COTH has been known to villify people as well. This has included some long-time COTHers and situations where not a whole lot of information was available about why the COTHer did as she/he did. At least who I don't remember as posting crazy or unking things was run out on a rail.

That doesn't take away from the good stuff that COTH does. But, no, I don't think we get to congratulate ourselves all around.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Sorry to disagree so soon, but COTH has been known to villify people as well. This has included some long-time COTHers and situations where not a whole lot of information was available about why the COTHer did as she/he did. At least who I don't remember as posting crazy or unking things was run out on a rail.

That doesn't take away from the good stuff that COTH does. But, no, I don't think we get to congratulate ourselves all around.
    too bad you have to be so negative

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    And too bad you can't be more reasonable/equal. The rainbows & unicorn farts can get irksome - especially when they don't extend over the board.

Sorry, but mvp is right. While Tamara's situation is absolutely horrible, & COTH folks are falling all over themselves to help, this is simply COTH. It's wonderful, & the members here do it all the time.

But the sword frequently falls both ways here. No need to start huge billboards about the wonderfulness of COTH.

Now there's Coth for ya!

Kudos to community for support of one member. Proud!

Don't be proud...this BB has big doody heads too!

No need to point that out on this thread.

Big Doody-head hater was right! Coth sucks!
    (from the head nay-sayer who was banned and is back and grouchier than ever)

*sigh* All is right with the internet...

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that people are crabbing on a thread about crabby people?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Now there's Coth for ya!

Kudos to community for support of one member. Proud!

Don't be proud...this BB has big doody heads too!

No need to point that out on this thread.

Big Doody-head hater was right! Coth sucks!
    (from the head nay-sayer who was banned and is back and grouchier than ever)

*sigh* All is right with the internet...

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that people are crabbing on a thread about crabby people?
    I'm with you, MistyBlue. This thread in its perfect brevity is the essence of CoTH.

(Doody-head...hehehehe...)
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    I'm with you, MistyBlue. This thread in its perfect brevity is the essence of CoTH.

(Doody-head...hehehehe...)
    We'll see...
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Yes, COTH can be great and also a pain in the backside. I remember so clearly on 9/11 when we were all frantically trying to locate our friends in NYC. I particularly remember a poster by the name of MAZ who we couldn't locate and the calls/emails/pm were crazy. It was a time I'll never forget. BUT, I have also seen people burned at the stake here and am not such a frequent poster in part due to that.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I have been burned quite a few times by COTH members, but thankfully they are only a select few. As a whole, I think this is a wonderfuly, supportive, online community. I can tell you from experience that coming here is very therapeutic when you are overwhelmed with grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    I have been burned quite a few times by COTH members, but thankfully they are only a select few.
    Me, too, but those COTHers are usually the post-and-run types or aren't very active after the incident(s.) I loff the COTHer friendships I've made.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Just like any "community" there are some mind-bogglingly kind and generous people and some total asshats. Most of us fall in between but can go either way when provoked. The worst situations tend to bring out the best in everyone unless they are too firmly ensconced in their asshat role to notice. I really have a hard time imagining a worst situation than the one our board is going through as a community right now and am not surprised at all to see people responding with kindness and generosity. What we need is a way to spur the middle group into action without a tragedy. A way to vote the asshats off the island would be nice too but might take some of the fun away!

This incident (Tamara's loss) has really made me think. Never before have I had quite the same experience of being heartbroken for a person I've never met, but have great respect for, due to benefitting from her knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    I loff the COTHer friendships I've made.

Ditto!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Well I'm relatively new to COTH but what y'all are saying sounds like a typical family to me: sure there are differences of opinions, blow-ups and snits. A friend used to call his family reunion "the annual brawl". But when something important happens people put those things aside and rally around. That's a good thing. Further, I don't know many people or situations that deserve (or expect to get) universal praise or universal revilement. Lets keep our praise and snarkiness "situational" - that way we might get a little of each on a regular basis (face it, this board wouldn't be nearly as interesting without at least some snarkiness).
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

We should be very proud of this online community. The support shown to Tamara on this board is unbelievable.

Also support to others when they have to put down a beloved horse, or have questions or tragedies in their life.

Sometimes we loose sight of things and get mad at what others post, but all in all I think it is a great online community that has a fountain of knowledge and wisdom as well as compassion.

Good on all of you for supporting one of our own.

Just wanted to say thanks on behalf of all those that have been or will be helped because of COTH and thank you to the management of COTH for making it possible as well as all the sponsors.
    I have been scouring the bowels of the internet for 11 years; I have yet to come upon another forum, of any kind, populated with such erudite, committed, generous, thoughtful, caring, (and sometimes, hilarious) posters. (That goes double for other horse forums )

The depth of knowledge, fair-mindedness, and willingness to help, learn, teach, or discuss is truly remarkable; very professional mods, a nice user-friendly format - what more could you ask for?

It's not always a tragic loss that brings out the best in people here -- COTH impacted my life in a very personal way, with a few members actually being the inspiration for what is now going to be an annual event here, ClipClopNYC. COTH members from a dozen states actually traveled to NYC to meet us and our horses, find things out for themselves, and/or show their support for who we are and what we do. It was a very important and special thing to me, facilitating and acting as a catalyst for so much that has happened since. I will be forever grateful.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I have this board to thank for the return of my stolen horse, when I first joined. That was a painful lesson in the dynamics of the COTH board: sympathy, blame, generous support, excellent advice, fingers pointed at me, and finally, physical boots on the ground to bring my boy to me. I'll be forever grateful that I found this board.

I ignore the asshats, and hopefully I'm not one of them, either. I hope I bring a bit of common sense advice and experience to the threads I feel I can contribute to.

Tamara's tragedy and the amazing response to it remind me that this is a family, spread out across the world, connected by technology and a love of all things horse. Good, bad and ugly (and down right scary sometimes) we are all members of the family.

When in doubt, use the ignore feature and go about your day!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I'm not being negative so much as truthful.

I wrote only because those run off of this BB are no longer here to say anything about it. I think COTH is a great place, too. But I'd rather be fair to all than politically correct.

Otherwise, carry on with the fine theme of this thread.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My opinion, those with gripes they can't let go can start their own whining thread.

Maybe consider this was not the time and place for other than saying thanks for COTH and what good it can do, as the OP proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    This incident (Tamara's loss) has really made me think. Never before have I had quite the same experience of being heartbroken for a person I've never met, but have great respect for, due to benefitting from her knowledge.
    That was my thought also.