The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Helmet on touristy trail ride? UPDATE POST #54

Going to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs next week. DH is going on business trip and spouses are invited. 2 of the mornings, I am going on a trail ride, that is obviously designed for tourists. I have not gotten on a horse sans helmet since Courtney King-Dye had her accident. Before that, I wore a helmet when jumping, when riding young horses and when riding unfamiliar horses. But, would ride my reliable horses without one.

Now, this place obviously caters to tourists and I'm sure 99.99999999% of the people show up to ride without a helmet. I am going with another lady from our group who I have never met. I just can't decide about showing up with my Charles Owen AYR8. I'm wearing my Ariat paddock boots and jeans so will already be a bit "strange."

Anyone ever show up to one of these things with helmet in hand (or on your head?)
    Last edited by inca; Aug. 22, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

I wear it. And I don't care a crap what people think about it.

When I was younger, I was convinced just once to ride without a helmet. Then a "bombproof" horse in front of my got stung by a bee and bucked, throwing his rider and just barely missing her head. That was the last time.

Besides, CO helmets look professional.

Point is, do you care more about what other people think, or do you care about moving body parts the next morning?

I wouldn't give a damn. I'd ESPECIALLY want a helmet on my head if I knew I was going to be riding with a bunch of people who didn't know anything, no matter how bombproof the horses are.

Buy one of those nice-looking Western-style troxels if it's a fashion emergency.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Yep. I've taken my helmet with me to ride in all sorts of places (Argentina, France, Greece.)
    ----------------------------------------
    PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
    http://pssm.xanthoria.com/
    ----------------------------------------

Would you go with the black AYR8 or the brown GR8? Just kidding - the AYR8 is much more comfortable. Although the GR8 is in mint condition because I rarely wear it. Should I do the whole hunter hair with hair net thing and make people *REALLY* roll their eyes at me - LOL!

Yup. I did. And when the other tourists noted the cowboys positive reaction. . . "Oh, you're definitely a rider if you brought your own helmet!" Suddenly they all seemed to think the optional helmet was a pretty good idea. I think there was only one guy who didn't wear one.

So I was a positive role model for once.

Wear it proud sister!

Thanks, Snugglerug. I was a tad worried about being ridiculed in front of people I don't know (I am rather shy in groups.) Hopefully that won't be the case and it will be a positive experience like you had.

Guess I will be packing one or both helmets. And I will be eating lunch and doing the Pikes Peak train ride in a baseball cap since I will have helmet hair. Better warn the hubby about that. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    Thanks, Snugglerug. I was a tad worried about being ridiculed in front of people I don't know (I am rather shy in groups.) Hopefully that won't be the case and it will be a positive experience like you had.

Guess I will be packing one or both helmets. And I will be eating lunch and doing the Pikes Peak train ride in a baseball cap since I will have helmet hair. Better warn the hubby about that. :-)
    I can be shy too and I just take my helmet and wear it and if anyone gives me hassle (doesn't happen often with non-riders) I just say that I know too many people who've had traumatic brain injuries to risk it.

Odds are that they are going to feel uncomfortable knowing that you know something they don't know.

Who cares if anyone makes fun of you. If you want to wear it, wear it. It's your noggin. Only you can protect it.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

It would not even cross my mind NOT to wear it!!
    A friend of mine was wearing hers when she got bucked off a "very quiet horse" in Feb. during a trail ride. She is still dealing with the aftermath of the concussion she suffered. She would be dead or a vegetable had she not worn hers. Fashion be damned!!
    Ask them if they want the liability? really???

I think you will just look like a pro, or at least like an experieced horsewoman.

BTW the Broadmoor is wonderful!! Excellent food and lovely rooms, especially in the old main section.

Absolutely! If anyone teased me, I would be tempted to say, "I'm wearing my helmet because I *am* a very experienced rider and I *know* how many things can go wrong even with a bombproof horse!" I went on vacation overseas once where I knew I'd be riding, and I packed my helmet in my suitcase.
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

I could care less what other people think about my helmet! I have taken helmets with me on rides in France and on rides out West. I'm responsible for my own head. If other people have issues with it, then that's their problems.

I'll add that I don't particularly like riding with groups of rank beginners on the trail. While it may be at a walk, if something goes awry, the novice rider may do something that make matters worse. So even more reason to have that helmet on my head!
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I have taken mine on vacation and worn it for touristy trail rides. I don't recall any negative repercussions and I probably would remember if there were any. I am shy in groups too.

There is an older woman (70+) in the trail club I belong to...she fell and was injured early in the summer and we finally saw her again a couple of weeks ago. She said that after her fall she spent a couple of days in the hospital and has been battling the effects of a concussion ever since (she was not a helmet wearer). Saw her riding the week after...no helmet....oh well...guess her experience didn't teach her anything.

Take your helemt(s) OP and wear them with pride! If anyone doesn't think you are "cool" that's their problem!

Cool

Absolutely wear it! Most trail ride places actually offer you the option of wearing a helmet, but ya know, it's kinda like bowling shoes - you're better off bringing your own!
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

I'd much rather show up with mine because it fits. Doesn't pack well though so I'm not averse to wearing theirs although I did cheat and have a mounted picture taken not wearing a helmet to show to the relatives. They complain about not seeing my face.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Soon I'm taking a friend's college-aged kiddo on a trail ride. There is NO WAY I'm letting said kiddo go with me without a helmet. We'll be the geek egg-heads wearing helmets. Who cares?! Horses, even the most domesticated/calmest can suffer an accident. Better safe than sorry.

Yup. Glad I had it when we found ourselves inadvertently between a mama bear and her cubs. Fortunately everyone kept their heads (human and animal) but that could have gotten a little too yee-ha for my tastes.

Only problem is that if you look like you know what you're doing, they could give you the "problem" horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    Yup. I did. And when the other tourists noted the cowboys positive reaction. . . "Oh, you're definitely a rider if you brought your own helmet!" Suddenly they all seemed to think the optional helmet was a pretty good idea. I think there was only one guy who didn't wear one.

So I was a positive role model for once.

Wear it proud sister!
    Wonderful

Definitely take it and wear it. Who knows, they may be so impressed by the fact you know enough about riding to own and use a helmet, they might even put you on a really nice (one of the wranglers' favorite and best trained and responsive ones) type of horse rather than a ploddiing one.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.