The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face "Old Man" - Now called "Bo". He's home!

Now that I'm finally in a position financially and time wise to own a dog, I've been looking for the right one. I check out petfinder, craigslist, and various rescue websites almost every day. I was looking for an older adult or senior, less than 50 lbs but not too small, good with other dogs. My only breed requirement was no hounds and no pits (love them but my landlord says no). I've met several dogs through the rescue I volunteer and have previously fostered for but none really stuck out for the right fit.
    I posted a listing on craigslist yesterday with what I was looking for to see if I'd get any responses that could work. Within 15 mins I received an email from someone who had just posted a listing not long before she saw mine. She picked an old male dog up off the street one night a couple weeks ago. He had a rusted collar and no tags, was matted, etc. She assumed he was dumped because of the area she found him in but she put the word out anyways to see if anyone would claim him. Nobody did and she didn't want to take him to the sheltr because she was afraid she'd be put down.
    Today I drove 5 hours round trip to meet him. I was really hesitant to because I was worried he would be too big (he looked big in the pictures) but the lady promised me that he was only knee-high on her so I took a chance. Something in my heart told me to go look at him.
    Let me tell you, this dog is so sweet. From what I could tell he is a really good dog. A little nervous of loud noises (she had little kids), but he was well behaved. He's old but I have no idea how old. He still had spunk in him when we brought him outside and he didn't appear to be stiff or anything so perhaps he's not as old as he looks.
    I was initially supposed to go out of town next week so I was going to pick him up on the 5th, but I think I may be cancelling the trip because most of the people I was going to go visit will actually be here this weekend. I'd rather save the money I'd spend on gas and put it toward the dog, so I may try and pick him up this weekend instead. As soon as I do he'll get to the vet for vaccines and a check up, and then to the groomer. He may need to be shaved if they can't get the mats out but we'll see.

The lady is calling him "Old Man River"... but I definitely want to rename him. So far all I've come up with are "Bo" or "Shadow"... my mom likes "Gramps" and my dad suggested "Jerry" (because he enjoys thinking he is funny and said it's short for "Geriatric"). I am definitely open to other ideas, so suggest away, please!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43390118@N07/7652566444/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43390118@N07/7652566864/
    Last edited by Milocalwinnings; Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Apro, short for Apropos, as he is what you were looking for.

Grand, for Grand Ol Man.

Ruff, for the ruffles in his coat

How about Rusty? or Pal?

Cool "HAPPY" because HE IS and YOU ARE because you found one another ~

"Happy" ~ "HAP" for short ~

because HE IS and YOU ARE "Happy" because you two have found each other ~

Enjoy ~ he is handsome and distinguished ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Cool Also love the "Grand" suggested by threedogpack ~

I really love the " Grand" suggested by threedogpack ~ very cool name indeed for your handsome gentleman ~

A 'Grand' homecoming ~

A "Grand" story ~ thanks for sharing ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Oh, he is lovely!! What about "Lucky", because is soooo lucky to have found you.

Oh, I wish I was in a position to rescue a dog, senior or otherwise. I'd love to take in a few seniors and care for them until the end.

He's very handsome. Give him a few days for his personality to show. He reminds me a bit of a lion with his gorgeous coat.

Could you name him after the place you were travelling to but had to cancel to bring him home?

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    Oh, I wish I was in a position to rescue a dog, senior or otherwise. I'd love to take in a few seniors and care for them until the end.

He's very handsome. Give him a few days for his personality to show. He reminds me a bit of a lion with his gorgeous coat.

Could you name him after the place you were travelling to but had to cancel to bring him home?
    What pony baloney's second paragraph says. I don't have any suggestions but in my experience animals tells us their names once we've spent some time together.

BTW, pony baloney, I love your COTH name!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Congratulations on finding and rescuing such a beautiful fella!

What a sweetheart. Thank you SO much for giving him a good home. Having a big fuzzy Shadow myself, I am partial to the name.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Oh, he's beautiful!

Reminds me of my BO's gelding, Teddy. Medium sized chestnut. Kind of steady, and gets pushed around, but lets things be - still holds his own. Just steady is the best way to put it. And like a Teddy Bear to boot.

Congrats, and hope you two have many happy days together!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Smile

Congrats - good on you ! He looks like a sweet guy - I am usually terrible with names, but Rusty came to me too when I first looked at his pic. Although I agree that if you give it some time another name may come to you. Enjoy him as I'm sure he is enjoying having a home and person ~

that FACE!!....such character and sweetness rolled inot one....and he is the sort of "plain jane" that would most likely be overlooked in a shelter setting......ooohhh, bless you, and the gal that took him off the street....
    he reminds me of a wizened,gentlemanly cowboy...the kind that smile, tip their hat, and say'mam".....

gentry
    ruff
    reddy

OH the pictures gave me happy tears!!!

Thank you for taking in this sweet old guy.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho392 View Post
    that FACE!!....such character and sweetness rolled inot one....and he is the sort of "plain jane" that would most likely be overlooked in a shelter setting......ooohhh, bless you, and the gal that took him off the street....
    he reminds me of a wizened,gentlemanly cowboy...the kind that smile, tip their hat, and say'mam".....

gentry
    ruff
    reddy
    love the name Gentry

{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}} to the lady who scooped him up and to you for giving him a new, wonderful life.

What a sweet dog. I can't believe anyone left him. Makes me so sad. I'm glad he is ending up somewhere loved!

I agree that after a few days something will probably pop out at us.

From what I saw when I met him, he's very quiet and calm in the house. He was a completely diffferent dog when we brought him outside. He looked like he had this big doggy smile on his face... trotting around and investigating things. He definitely still has a good bit of spunk in him. Of course, our 15 year old basset hound gets playful once in awhile which is always hilarious to watch

I bought him a nice blue collar today and will get the rest of the stuff I need tomorrow. I can't wait to go pick him up! I've grown up with dogs, but it feels so much different knowing he's MINE. I'm responsible for him. I pay for everything. I make the rules (ie: "Dad, you are NOT turning my dog into a beggar like you did with the others. No people food!"). It's exciting, yet slightly scary. If I feel like this when I finally have my own dog, I can't imagine what it will feel like if I am ever expecting a baby

BTW, does anyone have any recommendations for nice but reasonably priced dog beds? I was not impressed with the ones at Petsmart and Petco, especially considering how much they want for them. I don't mind spending money for a nice one but it needs to be worth the cost.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    BTW, does anyone have any recommendations for nice but reasonably priced dog beds? I was not impressed with the ones at Petsmart and Petco, especially considering how much they want for them. I don't mind spending money for a nice one but it needs to be worth the cost.
    I got a nice one from Dr. Foster and Smith. My dog doesn't sleep on it much (he doesn't think he's a dog), but it's held up well. I've had it for almost 10 years.

Bless you!!! It takes people like you to even out the bad in the world. I 2nd the Rusty suggestion....from his rusty collar or else Drifter??? I bet h is hppy to be loved!!!