The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Antares Spooner

This Monday thanks to SaddleNetwork and an awesome coworker I am the proud owner of a brand new Antares Spooner (freshly tagged and protected by SaddleNetwork)!!!! It was suggested that I immediately oil it, but I'm scared to mess with it. So new saddle gurus please advise me! What should be done with/to my pretty new tack?
    Proud owner of a member of the Formerly Limping And Still Majestic Equine Society

Oooh how do you like this saddle?! Thinking of purchasing one..

Its beautiful. Lovely leather. But I haven't even sat in it yet. Going to sit in it tomorrow.
    Proud owner of a member of the Formerly Limping And Still Majestic Equine Society

I have this saddle! I love it. It's so comfortable! I rode in mine for a month before I got the guts to oil it. I'm glad I did. The colour change was minimal but it made the leather so much nicer. When I got my bridle the Antares rep told me to microwave the oil.. I also recommend the Antares conditioner. It's fantastic! Enjoy your saddle!

Congratulations. Just oil it as you would any other new tack, I don't care what the rep said, I would not heat the oil, it should be room temperature. I like to apply oil with one of those foam rubber brushes, just "paint" it on, a very light coat, and gently roll the flaps, you can even work the oil in with your hands. Be very careful not to over-oil, especially the panels, you don't want the foam to absorb the oil. Too much oil will also weaken the leather, making it more prone to rip or tear, and stretch. Most likely they will supply you with their own Antares oil, which works well, I have used it on several bridles.

A local tack shop usually brings these saddles in pre-oiled, so go ahead

When I worked for Antares I had to oil all the new saddles. We used good old Neatsfoot oil and just slathered it on. Room temp and preferably do it in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by runwayz View Post
    When I worked for Antares I had to oil all the new saddles. We used good old Neatsfoot oil and just slathered it on. Room temp and preferably do it in the sun.
    When I bought my first Antares bridle they told me neatsfoot oil and that's what I used, it was gorgeous. After that they developed their own product though, and incuded it with new purchases, so I used that, which also works well (I suspect it is mineral oil, at least in part ).

My Antares came pre-oiled, but they also recommended a do a couple light coats with the oil that was provided. I know its a little scary, but your saddle (and you) willl be grateful for it! I just took a sponge and lightly did the top, then put more on the rougher leather parts of the flap, and then rolled them lightly. Have fun with your new saddle!

I'm trying a Spooner now and LOVE it! Panels are just a little (3/8") small for my horse... so deciding if I want to shim forever or not. Also I'd really like it to be much darker, like chocolate/havana. How dark do you think it will get? My horse is black and I don't want orange tack.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowanne View Post
    I'm trying a Spooner now and LOVE it! Panels are just a little (3/8") small for my horse... so deciding if I want to shim forever or not. Also I'd really like it to be much darker, like chocolate/havana. How dark do you think it will get? My horse is black and I don't want orange tack.
    Not that dark for sure, I've seen a few used & the color can be imagined from what they look like new (ie a couple shades darker) - OTOH they can vary noticeably in leather type.

Not sure what you mean by the panels being "small"

The saddles I have known have all darkened quite a bit with regular use and cleaning, at least dark enough to look good on a black horse although maybe not quite havana/dark chocolate. Their bridles look orange when new but darken substantially in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Not that dark for sure, I've seen a few used & the color can be imagined from what they look like new (ie a couple shades darker) - OTOH they can vary noticeably in leather type.

Not sure what you mean by the panels being "small"
    too short, ie. I had to add a pad in the back to raise it so the seat is balanced. that said, I decided today that it's too forward on his shoulder and a tad too narrow as well. Too bad, because I felt I rode in it very well. At least now I can look for a darker saddle to start with, thanks!

OK I was sceptical that Antares Spooner would fit when the CWD was too narrow ...

Talk to L'Apogee - very nice people - it's still that french saddle look but they have a more open tree.

You might also look at ADT saddles - just be sure to discuss the issue you're seeing with saddles that are too narrow before having a demo sent out.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    OK I was sceptical that Antares Spooner would fit when the CWD was too narrow ...

Talk to L'Apogee - very nice people - it's still that french saddle look but they have a more open tree.

You might also look at ADT saddles - just be sure to discuss the issue you're seeing with saddles that are too narrow before having a demo sent out.
    Thanks. I also tried a 36cm Prestige Michel Robert that aside some a smidge of bridging, the tree was perfect and so were depth of back panels. well, and it put me in the most awful chair seat. http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...72941507_n.jpg
    I do believe I found a dressage saddle, a MW Amerigo classic. My trainer will see it tomorrow: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...34951484_n.jpg

sent you a pm re County saddles

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeftHooves View Post
    What should be done with/to my pretty new tack?
    take lots of photos & post'em here

Apologies for all the untopic posts

I'm having a lesson hopefully in it tonight. If it fits the beautiful plus sized model draft mare I will post pics!

Well it fit the mare nicely. Very nicely. I ended up showing in it yesterday. Sorry but all I have is a facebook link. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
    Miss mare seems to like it as much as I do! She offered her first ever lead change.