The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3 hurt in riding accident

Not too many details - trail ride gone really bad?

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/21149

Loaded in a Gator to get to a staging area...that's the way I've seen it done in just about every bad trail riding accident I've ever seen. S*** can go bad on the trail, and it can snowball pretty easily out there with no arena fence to keep it contained. First thing that comes to mind for me with the multiple injuries like that is a bunch of spooked horses running for home.

Hope all the riders (and horses) come out of it okay.

Jingles for all involved.

Plenty of things can go wrong on a trail through no fault of the riders - that is if something spooks the horses badly, whether it be wildlife appearing out of nowhere, a dog that gets loose and runs after them, etc.

What surprises me is the degree of bad behavior I've seen out on the trails. One would think everyone out there would operate with a greater degree of care given the nature of having an accident in the woods where you aren't necessarily near a road or in a place that's easy to access.

I was on an organized trail ride not too long ago where 80+ riders were out and about. Most people were very polite and used good etiquette and judgement when passing other people. However, one particular group cantering up behind the one I was in said "will your horses be ok if we pass" to which I replied "They are young and off the track, but I think they will be fine if you pass at a walk". This group of 3-4 people did slow to a walk, but as soon as they were a stride in front of us they took off at a sudden gallop. This upset the horses in my group. Fortunately, we were all experienced riders so we were able to get things under control, but it could have ended very badly. It surprises me that the folks who did that didn't bother to think about the possible consequences of their actions. All the people who heard about that thought their behavior was completely unappropriate and rude.

I hope the riders in the link posted above are all ok...

I have been on numerous trail rides, many with the riding club I belong to. We often have 20 or more people attending, but tend to break up into groups who wish to go slow(walk maybe a little trot) medium(walk more trot) and fast( mostly trot and canter). Over the eight years or so I have gone to these rides, we have only had one problem ride. There were about 12 of us all riding in one group and a turkey was involved. It flew up from some deep grass right into one of the horse's heads which spooked her and she started bucking, rider fell off, horse started galloping thru the field. We had one green horse with and he spooked when galloping horse ran towards him. He ran thru a small section of woods over to where myself and another rider were riding, ran into some barb wire and threw his rider because he spun back towards the main group to get to his pasture buddy. My horse and the lady who was riding near me horse spooked due to the barb wire being dragged thru the underbrush and spun and bolted. It was kind of a narrow trail that we were on and the two horses bumped into each other. My mare has a bit of a personal bubble and she shifted quickly to the side while doing a hand gallop and I fell down between the two horses. I rolled over to look up and see my horse standing with her head and neck over me sort of protecting me from the other horse. The only person who was hurt was the lady with the greenie. He had flung her hard and her hand got tangled in the reins as she fell and broke her finger, and her horse had several cuts on him from the barbed wire. We got him cleaned up and loaded, they called the vet who met them at the home farm when they got there. The rest of us got back on and finished the ride. Yep stuff happens, but I still trail ride at least 2-3 times a week on the farm where I board and at least once at a state park, state forest or other venue.

For all my years we have been lucky on some very large trail rides and not had any inicidents. This spring there were just 5 of us out and I got dumped by my green mare for no explainable reason; out of the blue something just freaked her out. Never let your guard down.

All of my horses are scared to death of gaited horses. When a group will come by it has the same effect as someone cantering by us. I suppose it is just the faster pace. I always have to pull over. (Gaited people please don't take offense)

I will say that most people on organized trail rides are very conscientious and courteous. It is the unsupervised kids that are sometimes a problem as they seem to think they are invincible and tend to be less considerate of others. I know it is just the nature of being a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post

All of my horses are scared to death of gaited horses.

that just cracked me up.

I had a horse that was scared of ponies, just regular ponies.
    My horses right now are very concerned about - but no longer scared of - Amish buggy horses. Probably just the buggy that is chasing the horse and not the horse itself. It's funny sometimes what gets them in a tizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post

that just cracked me up.

My horses right now are very concerned about - but no longer scared of - Amish buggy horses. Probably just the buggy that is chasing the horse and not the horse itself. It's funny sometimes what gets them in a tizzy.
    My friend's gelding will go completely to pieces when he sees a horse pulling a buggy or cart. I think he is certain the buggy is chasing the horse to eat it.
    Unfortunately or maybe fortunately we see very few so not something she can work on with him but it's a sight to see when one does appear, usually out of no where.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I was a trial ride when the lead horse stepped through a ground nest of yellow jackets. I can see that causing something like this. It was horrible, two horses coliced horribly and one ripped off both shoes from the nail holes down, one horse ran off down a road, a dog got hit by a car, my friend went to the ER because her parents were concerned about all the stings, etc etc. Could have been way way worse too.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post

that just cracked me up.

My horse has a similar thing.
    Other horses? Fine.
    Golf carts? Fine.
    Horse being ponied off golf cart? Wrong. Very, very wrong. Oh just so wrong.

I was riding with a group in a big park with trails and we came around the corner to see a farm field with a donkey in it...horrors! My boy spooked sideways 10 feet, other people got unloaded, nothing too bad.

Default donkeys

I was riding with a group in a big park with trails and we came around the corner to see a farm field with a donkey in it...horrors! My boy spooked sideways 10 feet, other people got unloaded, nothing too bad.
    I had to dismount on Saturday after coming to a field with four donkeys in it. Horse was torn between wanting to see them up close and not wanting to go near. Here's the irony - one of our group of 5 riders was riding a donkey. Silly horsie!

Hope none of the injuries are serious.
    Last edited by Holly Jeanne; Aug. 16, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    My friend's gelding will go completely to pieces when he sees a horse pulling a buggy or cart. I think he is certain the buggy is chasing the horse to eat it.
    Unfortunately or maybe fortunately we see very few so not something she can work on with him but it's a sight to see when one does appear, usually out of no where.
    My OTTB gelding who has a wicked spook consisting of spinning and bucking was so scared when he saw a horse pulling a cart that he just stopped, rooted to the spot and shook. It was more than his little mind could comprehend.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Many years ago I took out a friend who had never had her horse outside the arena.
    He was fine for the ride, as was my by-then SteadyEddie TB whose job it was to be The Example of a well-behaved trail horse.

Coming back to the barn we had one last field to cross, and since it was near dusk, that field was now full of deer.
    There must have been 50 of them.

SteadyEddie stopped dead & shook - I could feel his heart pounding through my legs.
    Followed by snortwhirlspin, bumping into friend's horse on the way.
    Luckily her horse just looked at the deer, looked at my guy and went "Meh".

Fortunately for me, the deer then faded into the brush and we were able to get home w/o further incident.

So much for Walk This Way, Do As I Do
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

My Ottb mare tends to give paint ponies and gaited horses a wide berth...No matter what *I* think we should do! If i can stick the first few spooks and put her right back to work, we're fine.

But she had a major melt down when we met a mini pulling a cart at the beach one winter morning. I had to go far, far away from the "thing" for her to start listening to me again. And even then she kept an eye out for the monster and never really relaxed.

Fortunately, since then she's been exposed to a pony pulling a cart at the barn where I boarded her for a few months. Hopefully she'll remember him the next time we see the mini+cart....!!!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'm lucky that my gelding is usually pretty spook-free on the trail. Other people falling off, accidentally stepping on a downed gate hidden in tall grass, cars driving waaay too fast down a gravel road, none of that really bothers him, thankfully.

What could have been a really bad one was when a small flock of prairie chickens flew up from the grass. Right under him. Under his belly, between his front legs, at his neck and face. He jumped with all 4 feet off the ground straight up, planted them nice and wide, and stood there shaking until the birds were gone. A pat on the neck, a BIG SIGH, and he was good to go again.

Though at a horse show he wasn't so fond of the draft horses giving cart rides...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I was a trial ride when the lead horse stepped through a ground nest of yellow jackets. I can see that causing something like this. It was horrible, two horses coliced horribly and one ripped off both shoes from the nail holes down, one horse ran off down a road, a dog got hit by a car, my friend went to the ER because her parents were concerned about all the stings, etc etc. Could have been way way worse too.
    One 6 hour ride on the Bogeschiel River was punctuated by the call of "bees". Of course they were not bees, they were yellow jackets.. but it's easier to scream "bees".... Lead horse stirs em up, 2nd horse gets em mad...third horse and beyond gets stung..... Were were doing the "wasp trot" every 5 minutes it seems.... We reached a resting point on the river and I got a good look at my friends poor horse (she was in front of me) and his face looked like a watermelon. He had so many stings on him I felt so sorry for him.... So we turned around to go back. The good thing is when there are only two of you, you don't get them as mad....... I avoid group rides in weather like we are having right now because you are going to run into them..... Those ground nests are everywhere up here....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

According to the comments today on the article, the one person who was transported to the hospital with "serious injuries" was not so serious afterall. Some bumps and bruises.

I was on a work party with a group from the F.S. and other BCH members when we came upon a bees' nest along side the trail. Most people got through okay but one guys horse just stood there and bucked. Poor horse was covered in bee stings. His owner counted over 250 individual stings and his eyes were almost swollen shut. They are so lucky he was a big horse and was able to fight off the toxin.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post

Now that is a really, really bad trail ride.

I've been on a couple. Ground bees, check, foolish teen showing off and runs up somebody else's tail, jeep out that rider, off to hospital and ambulance ride, check, barb wire in the tall grass, check. I guess accidents are more common than we think.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible