The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2012
    Location
    In a far far away place....
    Posts
    712

    Default Europe vs USA

    After watching various live feeds on inspections, it seems that Europe seems to take thier horses much more seriously than we do. It appears to be more of a lifestyle, taken very seriously. More people attending, the handlers and crowd more properly dressed (ties, dresses). I mean no offense to our breeders here. I was just watching the live Connemara feed and those people just seem more into it than we are here. And the competions draw huge crowds, comparable to our baseball and football crowds! Any input?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 27, 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Well I think it's the general American publics view on horses. I went to look at really cute andy x dutch warmblood/TB yearling earlier this year. The girl that was selling him had been into horses and showing all her life, but, I believe her mom passed away. Right after that, all her family started pushing her to give up horses. And she did. This colt was supposed to be her dressage mount once he was old enough.

    Basically I think it's a culture thing.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2006
    Posts
    3,505

    Default

    Remember if you took ALL of the breed show people, race people, hunter poeple, barrel people, reining people, cow horse people, endurance... On and on.

    If you took ALL of them and only gave us the three main top sports imagine how unstoppable we would be? We are a GIANT GIANT country but our TONS of horsey money is spread into a vast VAST amount of disciplines.

    The money into the World shows for AQHA and colored breeds, Arab Nationals and all of the fancier breeds, as well as the TONS of money into rodeos and reining and so on... Add to that racing? Think of all of those sponsors too?

    Its not fair to say that we dont have a horse culture... Its just not all top sport.

    When I showed at Scottsdale's Arabian show they had something like 250k people in and out of that show (spectators and what not) and that wasnt even nationals.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 2, 2003
    Location
    Wynnewood, Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runwayz View Post
    the handlers and crowd more properly dressed (ties, dresses).
    FWIW, I think you will find that more formal attire is just much more expected in Europe. Anyone that has been to one of our courses here has seen Jos in a shirt and khakis. In Europe, he lectures in a shirt, tie and slacks and would absolutely consider it totally inappropriate to be dressed in anything less. It's a cultural thing.

    Additionally, if you attend many of our shows here, you'll see a variety of what is acceptable attire. As NOMIOMI1 pointed out, we are a diverse, HUGE nation. And, on the day of our inspection? It was 106 degrees. There is absolutely NO flippin' WAY you would get ANY of us in shirt, tie, slacks and hat. Sorry! Seriously, I suspect that if it was clothing optional that day, some may have chosen to go au naturel! EVERYONE was dripping sweat by the time it was over, including the people in the middle of the ring just watching the rest of us idiots running around in circles.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 2, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,189

    Default

    Size matters.


    I live in Colorado. if I want to attend my breed of choice Annual Convention I am looking at spending 21 hours in a car. Conversely, it's 8 hours from London to Munich.

    It was 4 1/2 hours to my local inspection. The inspection that happens every 5 years or so. In 4 1/2 hours from London, I could be in a bistro in the Midi sipping my first cognac of the morning.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2012
    Location
    In a far far away place....
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Please don't get me wrong, I am not attempting to bash any of our shows or inspections, but it just seems like it is so much more a larger portion of life over there than here. I understand what everyone is saying about more disaplines here, more spread out, etc...



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,667

    Default The Irish must be different

    Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    FWIW, I think you will find that more formal attire is just much more expected in Europe. Anyone that has been to one of our courses here has seen Jos in a shirt and khakis. In Europe, he lectures in a shirt, tie and slacks and would absolutely consider it totally inappropriate to be dressed in anything less. It's a cultural thing.

    .
    Sophie at her inspection with Tony Phillips
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...46265789272146

    and with the Irish inspectors
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...46109601587538
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2002
    Location
    Waterford, VA USA
    Posts
    4,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    Size matters.


    I live in Colorado. if I want to attend my breed of choice Annual Convention I am looking at spending 21 hours in a car. Conversely, it's 8 hours from London to Munich.

    It was 4 1/2 hours to my local inspection. The inspection that happens every 5 years or so. In 4 1/2 hours from London, I could be in a bistro in the Midi sipping my first cognac of the morning.
    Not to be a nit-picker, BUT.... you really need to check your European distances..
    8 hours from London to Munich? What is your method of transportation? It's a lot less than 8 hours by air and a LOT more by car. And even though I'm from Europe I'm not familiar with "Midi" and, therefore, cannot comment on the 4 1/2 hours from London to that location. Please clarify....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 2, 2003
    Location
    Wynnewood, Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Sophie at her inspection with Tony Phillips
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...46265789272146

    and with the Irish inspectors
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...46109601587538
    Well...judging by everyone's attire, I'm thinking that it was CONSIDERABLY cooler than 106 degrees <LOL>! Even in the 106 degree heat, the gal that presented our horses this summer had on pressed slacks and a cotton polo shirt - a jacket was just not even a consideration unless we wanted to have to deal with heat exhaustion. While not particularly formal, it was neat and tidy. When we have shown in-hand, the handler has had on pressed slacks, a pressed shirt (a tie if a man) and a blazer. Neatness, in our opinion, does count. But, the reality is, inspections in July in Oklahoma, unless we have an air conditioned arena available - NOT - are going to be more casual than formal and I don't think that's unusual anywhere. Weather "is" going to have an impact
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2007
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Remember if you took ALL of the breed show people, race people, hunter poeple, barrel people, reining people, cow horse people, endurance... On and on.

    If you took ALL of them and only gave us the three main top sports imagine how unstoppable we would be? We are a GIANT GIANT country but our TONS of horsey money is spread into a vast VAST amount of disciplines.
    I thought you were going to say, "If you took all the U.S. dressage people, showjumper people, breeders, etc., and put them in an area the size of Germany, you'd see a lot more attendance and hoopla around shows and inspections."

    Which is how I think of it. And the vast majority of the German horse industry is centered in the northern part of the country. From Oldenburg to Hanover is less than 2 hours. The big inspections and stallion shows in Vechta are likely attended by just about everyone in the industry, so they also become THE place to meet, greet, and schmooze. I can see why people dress a bit nicer. The physical concentration of the industry over there gives them a huge advantage, I think.
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2006
    Posts
    3,505

    Default

    My point was that we dont need to be smaller... And we have PLENTY of money going into horses.

    People can choose the western/breed disciplines and for the most part they do.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 11, 2003
    Location
    Lincoln, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    The whole horse industry is huge in the USA but sport horses is a small portion of the whole.
    In Europe the sport horse industry is huge and they have a bigger social connection and support from non-riders. The top riders are household names just like other top athletes and that is the recognition we miss in the US. The atmosphere at the European shows is hard to compare and really something an American needs to experience to see what it can be. Hundreds more Grand prixs are held in Europe and they sell out and the crowd is full with families of whom many do not ride, so that is why they get more sponsorship money too as it is more mainstream. Many GP's are televised as well and not shown 3 months later at 2 am.
    Many riding schools have lessons til 10pm at night and most of the business gets done in the bar upstairs from where you can watch the lessons. Try that here
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2012
    Location
    In a far far away place....
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Thank you Edgar! Whew! You put it in words much better than I obviously could. Everything you said is what I meant. Equestrian sports to them is like football or baseball to us.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 2, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Not to be a nit-picker, BUT.... you really need to check your European distances..
    8 hours from London to Munich? What is your method of transportation? It's a lot less than 8 hours by air and a LOT more by car. And even though I'm from Europe I'm not familiar with "Midi" and, therefore, cannot comment on the 4 1/2 hours from London to that location. Please clarify....
    You need to drive faster Siegi.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2002
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    You need to drive faster Siegi.
    In England with all those roundabouts ????? Phew. It takes from Hannover to Munic with a fast train 4 hours and with a car if one really races 5,5 hours. From Hannover in 2 hourse I can get a bit north of Hamburg.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2002
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    The whole horse industry is huge in the USA but sport horses is a small portion of the whole.
    In Europe the sport horse industry is huge and they have a bigger social connection and support from non-riders. The top riders are household names just like other top athletes and that is the recognition we miss in the US. The atmosphere at the European shows is hard to compare and really something an American needs to experience to see what it can be. Hundreds more Grand prixs are held in Europe and they sell out and the crowd is full with families of whom many do not ride, so that is why they get more sponsorship money too as it is more mainstream. Many GP's are televised as well and not shown 3 months later at 2 am.
    Many riding schools have lessons til 10pm at night and most of the business gets done in the bar upstairs from where you can watch the lessons. Try that here

    Yes I think it is a different cultural thing and I also believe it is something handed down in the families (that starts to die off a bít though). When I think of the people I met on the board here that breed really nice horses who where talking about stopping to breed: the do not have anyone in the family going on with their passion.
    If we have in our neighbour town the big riding show upto Grans Prix you will see lots of people strolling across the grounds. they use it as a saturday sunday outing. And enjoy to watch horses and see people like Meredith, Ludger, and Isabell there life. When I go there, i can be sure I meet one or the other person I went to school with and that do not ride ! And Edgar is right the "bars" in the arenas in the riding clubs are actually as a real bar. People meet, smoke ( ;-) ), drink beer. Some even have a kitchen and serve frankfurters, some are even bigger and serve real meals and are like a real little restaurant that not just riding people visit. etc. etc.
    I think it is differen. Sporthorses and life with/around them are woven into the regular rural life. I was in England in 2011 at the Royal Welsh Show and boy even for me that was even another world ! I would guess that Conemara show is in the same league. People are looking forward to the RWS and it is the dream of loads of pony club kids to be there, show there, compete there.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,344

    Default

    I agree entirely with Edgar and Alexandra.

    Today my local paper ran a poll asking which Olympic sports should be eliminated. So far these are the results (dressage would never be so highly marked for elimination in Europe):

    Synchronized swimming - 8%
    Rhythmic gymnastics - 7%
    BMX - 26%
    Trampoline - 16%
    Dressage - 20%
    Race walking - 19%
    Handball - 4%



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 2, 2003
    Location
    Wynnewood, Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    We're going to the Ballinasloe Horse Fair in September when we go over to Ireland to give one of our short courses. I promise to take lots of pictures, but I think Alexandra hit the nail on the head - just huge differences between countries and between the breeds, as well.

    We just went to the AQHA Youth show up in OKC yesterday and I think all of BLING would send some of the more conservative here over the edge <LOL>. And what is worn in the halter ring is also a bit different than what you would see in other breeds .
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb. 2, 2003
    Location
    Wynnewood, Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    I agree entirely with Edgar and Alexandra.

    Today my local paper ran a poll asking which Olympic sports should be eliminated. So far these are the results (dressage would never be so highly marked for elimination in Europe):

    Synchronized swimming - 8%
    Rhythmic gymnastics - 7%
    BMX - 26%
    Trampoline - 16%
    Dressage - 20%
    Race walking - 19%
    Handball - 4%
    Have to wonder though, if dressage got such a high "rating" for elimination due somewhat to the association with Romney? Let's face it, it probably got more exposure recently than it has in the past - whether it be positive or negative!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Have to wonder though, if dressage got such a high "rating" for elimination due somewhat to the association with Romney? Let's face it, it probably got more exposure recently than it has in the past - whether it be positive or negative!
    That or the fact that lots of people say to themselves "Dressage? What the heck is THAT?"



Similar Threads

  1. so what exactly do they do to foals in Europe
    By Molly Malone in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Oct. 1, 2012, 10:51 AM
  2. Big hello from Europe
    By louisem in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Nov. 17, 2011, 11:48 AM
  3. Big hello from Europe
    By louisem in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov. 16, 2011, 11:17 PM
  4. What are the websites in Europe?
    By nlk in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec. 2, 2010, 09:03 AM
  5. Prices In Europe
    By bazinga in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2010, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness