The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Event Breeding, Senorita Sue .... to Who

I have my mind pretty well made up but thought I would ask what other tought.
    I bought Senorita Sue the dam of Downtown Harrison who won Bromont. http://www.pedigreequery.com/senorita+sue
    of the three stallions I'm considering who would you use and why. Or would you use a diffrent stallion and again why.
    The stallion are ;
    E.H.Buddenbrock
    Windfall*Pg*
    Oskar*Pg*

Congrats!
    I am biased towards your firrst boy--just because he is beautiful talented and throws talent and it might track the breeding success of Downton Harrison most closely?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You have a mare who has produced a winning 3* horse. If you want to replicate the level or go higher, wouldn't you want to breed to a horse who has also produced an Advanced eventer?

I'm still waiting for Windfall to have AT LEAST one horse doing well at the FEI levels of competition.

If Downtown Harrison really is by E.H Sixtus and frozen semen is still available, why not go back there? Or, since Sixtus worked so well with the mare, of the three his son would be the next best thing.

Of course, if there is Fleetwater Opposition semen still around, he'd be my first choice; he is, without a doubt, the single best Trakehner sire in eventing for the past ten years or so.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Congrats Joe!! Did you see his sister is also up for grabs? ;-)

I would do ET and do your first do choices. Buddi for Sixtus, and Windfall for his dam - I have to admit that getting Wundermaedel into this mix is VERY appealing! I'm also biased, we have a W x TB dam in the barn that is phenomenal (best thing about her are her brains!).

Good luck!!

PS: Downtown Harrison just made the cover of the August Der Trakehner magazine in Germany :-)))

Viney, Downtown Harrison is not by Sixtus, but by a son of Sixtus - Il Sixtino. Gelded, not available.

W has produced FEI horses - you may recall Project Runway on your own home turf, and there were some from his very limited breeding career (2 seasons) as a 4yr old in Germany. CIC*** actually.

And another add: Buddenbrock has produced FEI eventers as well. Since he was predominantly uses by dressage folks and his eventing offspring are more or less "accidents", I will say that's pretty impressive.

Maren you beat me to the punch. . I was about to post about all of that.

I'll add that as of last month there is no more FO avail in the US unless someone wants to sell one of their doses/straws. At least that's my understanding when I inquired.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Oh and I'd already told you Joe but I'll say it again here - IMO Buddi is your most marketable bet since the foal would be a 3/4 sibling right?? As well as a nice cross.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I assumed Sixtus was the sire of Downtown Harrison since that's what was sent in to the FEI.

Perhaps I should have said confirmed Advanced horse for Windfall. He has only three with FEI Passports in the USEF database. One horse is in YR, and seems to have stalled out at Prelim. Project Runway is still competing but has yet to have done well at Advanced. Same is true of Debi Crowley's Vandiver, although he did have a top ten finish at Advanced this spring. Next start he tanked and then fell at Jersey Fresh. Both are 2004 models and both have been pushed along fairly quickly, so it's entirely possible that both are or will be UL horses.

Karambeu M by Windfall and ridden by Kai-Steffen Meier never finished a 3*, although he entered a couple in 2007. He disappears from the FEI Horse Results after his 3* "failures". I can't seem to find other German event horses with Windfall as sire.

Fleetwater Opposition is listed as available by frozen here:
    http://www.landfordcommonstud.com/stud-fees.html

You might be able to import for yourself if the semen can enter the US.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jul. 17, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I have that W FEI info somewhere, just not right here and no time today. Will check into this.

Yes, the FEI info on Will must be wrong, his sire was a black colt by Sixtus out of a very well-bred Matador (Donauwind) daughter - there is more to him than "just" this exceptional Habicht blood. In tersm of versatility at the top levels, that blood still surpasses even Fleetwater O.

Speaking ot eh latter, I think the last 2 doses of his were sold to the owners of TSF AMazing Grace (Tycoon x Lagunas xx) - VERY cool cross!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    Congrats Joe!! Did you see his sister is also up for grabs? ;-)

I would do ET and do your first do choices. Buddi for Sixtus, and Windfall for his dam - I have to admit that getting Wundermaedel into this mix is VERY appealing! I'm also biased, we have a W x TB dam in the barn that is phenomenal (best thing about her are her brains!).

Good luck!!

PS: Downtown Harrison just made the cover of the August Der Trakehner magazine in Germany :-)))
    Ditto on Buddenbrock - definitely he (and W) most marketable to eventers. Oh, and BTW Il Sixtino is also on cover of latest issue of Eventing magazine! Great get w/this mare Joe!
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Just sayin' I'm envious.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I would love you to look at my boy, Weston Justice, as a live contender for your mare. He went 3 star himself (Boekelo inside the time, only equalled by William fp that year ) So nearly completed Burghley in the horrendous year 2004. Since then in his first main crop he has produced a 2star horse and a few more heading that way. His dad, Criminal Law has produced to 4star as has his maternal sire Krisinsky. His mum went 3star herself and was Junior silver European champion.

Does anyone have any links to Buddenbrock's FEI get / photos? /results? How much jump does he bring to the table -- with the current format, this would be my main concern. I can't wait to hear more about this guy, from what I've read this is a very appealing sire.

Goodmornning, here are some listed at the bottom of his stallion page, a few more have done well this season, most of my info came from asking the Verdand. http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/Buddenbrock.asp
    Thanks everyone.

Oh and without derailing this, but when will your lovely boy Buddenbrock get his page on your website?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    Oh and without derailing this, but when will your lovely boy Buddenbrock get his page on your website?
    I was wondering this as well! I have been considering him for my mares for next year.

I guess I'm a bit of an "explorer", but wasn't Oskar a jumper in Russia with quite a jump? He is also a spectacular mover, so wouldn't that be interesting, particularly as he is getting on in age and if you could do an ET. My Oskar is so damned athletic, I dunno, maybe not the top choice on paper, but interesting just the same!
    PennyG