The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default E.H. Buddenbrock - what does he bring to the table?

What does Buddenbrock generally pass on to his offspring? I am wondering about size, gaits, jumping ability, temperament, rideability.

I did a USEF search and came up with a few upper level eventers and dressage horses (which was impressive given the low number of horses that appeared when I searched).

Well, I can tell you what I am *hoping* he brings to the table with my mare that is foal to him!

The first thing is type and frame. My mare is not a heavy mare at all (via matcho AA) but she could use some improvement in neck set/ shape, "typiness", and a tighter frame.

The next thing is leg conformation. According to the Hannoveraner Stallion Book he is improving conformation of both front and rear limbs.

Jumping ability/ athleticism. He of course did very well himself as a young 3-day horse and the Trakheners are a bit more versatile in the cross over of jumping and dressage. I am hoping he passes this on.

Temperament. He is generally considered to pass on good rideability.

What I am thinking he will not give is huge gaits and I am OK with this. Frankly, I am not a lover of the huge front end movement and much prefer a horse that has more swing through their ENTIRE body/ back. I think he will at least pass on three solid gaits, so not a loss but not a gain in that respect.

Lastly, and not the most important but a wish, a black keeper filly with all the above qualities I am really hoping for a replacement for my dam as she is getting older. I chose Buddenbrock for the above reasons but also as an addition to my program for future generations of breeding. I like that he is not the D,S,W,R lines as that opens up a lot more stallions in the future and I have wanted to add some Trak blood to my breeding program for a long time. But all of this is moot if I get a colt! That will be for sale