The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 137
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2011
    Posts
    399

    Default Friend wants me to haul horses... WWYD?

    Here's the situation: A friend, whom I've known for ~8 months, has some horses being boarded at her place. They belong to a woman who is currently in KY and is getting ready to leave for Afghanistan. The Owner was supposed to try and come visit her horses before she left, but that ended up not being plausible, so Friend wants to haul the horses to her in KY. Friend does not have a truck/trailer and has asked me if I would be able to take them.

    Here is where I become concerned. I've never met the owner face-to-face; I've spoken with her on the phone (I used to ride one of the horses for her), but don't know her well. I'd be worried that something may happen during the trip (to either horses/truck/trailer). My truck is an F150 and barely likes the two hour drive to one of my vets hauling one horse, let alone a 6 hour drive with TWO horses. I could borrow my father's truck (and he'd prefer that if I did go).

    So, if you were being asked to haul a stranger's horses for a friend 6 hours, would you do it? What would be your concerns, and what precautions would you take if you agreed?

    TIA



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2004
    Location
    Rolling hills of Virginny
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Nope, not something I'd agree to do.

    If she needs to move her horses to KY and can't do it herself, she needs to hire a hauler. That way, any liability would be on them.

    Are you prepared to lose your truck and trailer if something goes wrong? If the answer's no, then don't do it.

    I don't do favors for friends of friends.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 5, 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,221

    Default

    Um, NO! That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What are you supposed to do with these horses when you get there? Let her pet them and then turn around and drive six hours back? What incentive do you have to do this? If you are being paid then you must have commercial liability insurance. Tell your "friend" that you are not insured to do this and that she is putting you in a very awkward situation. Not cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2011
    Location
    East Longmeadow, MA
    Posts
    3,551

    Default

    Nope. Absolutely not. The woman needs to hire a hauler. This can only end badly.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    7,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLastInstallment View Post
    So, if you were being asked to haul a stranger's horses for a friend 6 hours, would you do it?
    No. I would tell them "Sorry, but my insurance does not allow it."

    There are plenty of commercial haulers.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2009
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    No. I would tell them "Sorry, but my insurance does not allow it."

    There are plenty of commercial haulers.
    Bingo! And your insurance most likely does not.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    33,258

    Default

    it's more like 'My truck won't make it'

    I am sure you can up your insurance for one trip....but I am thinking if the truck can't handle shorter trips, don't do it. Nothing worse than blowing your truck up on the side of a busy road, maybe even at night in the rain...bad enough with no trailer.

    (but if the lady is going to Afghanistan, why does she need the horses there?)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2011
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Thanks, guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one who would be going errrrr...

    Owner just wants to see her horses before she leaves. They would indeed be coming back home either that same day or the next.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 16, 2004
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    5,530

    Default

    My response would be no, but are you saying she wants to see her horses before she leaves so wants them to endure that haul just to pet them and send them back? That's just dumb .

    ETA: We were posting at the same time. Wow. That's VERY inconsiderate to even ask anyone to do something like that and for her horses to have to haul for no reason. She can't drive her butt up to see them? This doesn't even make sense, at all.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2004
    Location
    Rolling hills of Virginny
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLastInstallment View Post
    Owner just wants to see her horses before she leaves. They would indeed be coming back home either that same day or the next.
    Wait, I thought she wanted you to haul them ONE WAY, not up and back. That's even crazier!

    Seriously, if she's sooo bent on seeing the animals, why doesn't she make the trip herself?

    Whacky, just totally whacky!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    No. I would tell them "Sorry, but my insurance does not allow it."
    This. Or the 'sorry my truck is not safe to go that far'.

    I would think in the big picture it would be cheaper to get a plane or bus ticket for her to get here to see her horses before she leaves than to get all the papers necessary to travel with the horses and take them six hours there and six hours back.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 15, 2008
    Posts
    4,589

    Default

    No.
    Nope.
    Now Way.
    No Go.
    Not Gonna Happen.
    Hell to the No.
    Whatchu Talkin' Bout Wyllis?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 1, 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Nope. Absolutely not. The woman needs to hire a hauler. This can only end badly.
    THIS
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 27, 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    2,243

    Default

    I agree asking that of the horses for her sake is dumb. Never mind asking you. Its one of the more dim bulb moments I've heard of. You're not a commercial hauler, don't have the equipment, insurance or personal energy to do that. I assume they would pay you, what, $3 dollars a mile, and how much an hour for your time - $20.00 and hour at least. Let her fly out and see them for the same or less amount of money it would cost her. If she doesn't have time, she can get pictures, and she can come see them on her leaves.

    That's a bold assumption/request on their part. Answer = um, No. Don't really need more explaination than that.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

    http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    I am amazed how silly and demanding people can be. She can d#$n well get on a bus and go visit her horses, or chat to them on Skype.

    Do not do this.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,577

    Default As allways

    NO is a complete sentence.

    If you say "No, because...." chances are that person would think of some reason why your refusal is unreasonable

    ETA:If you agreed to some form of compensation, even to just cover expenses, your insurance company could refuse to cover a claim because you were engaging in commerce.
    Last edited by carolprudm; Aug. 14, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    7,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    ETA:If you agreed to some form of compensation, even to just cover expenses, your insurance company could refuse to cover a claim because you were engaging in commerce.
    Not to mention that engaging in commerce puts you under DOT regs in some (all?) states.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    I agree, "No" is a complete sentence. Do not engage someone who would ask something this ridiculous.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2005
    Location
    Australasia
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    That's just crazy !!

    No.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2002
    Location
    recent FL transplant from IL
    Posts
    7,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Nope.
    Now Way.
    No Go.
    Not Gonna Happen.
    Hell to the No.
    Whatchu Talkin' Bout Wyllis?


    Especially now having learned this is just to go there, unload, pet horses, load up & go back home.

    Talk about what the fruitbat.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"



Similar Threads

  1. WWYD-Friend not feeding her horses
    By caryledee in forum Off Course
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Feb. 24, 2011, 01:54 PM
  2. Another WWYD ~ friend drugging horse!!
    By AlterX in forum Off Course
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: Feb. 3, 2011, 09:29 PM
  3. WWYD? friend and horse care issue
    By skip916 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan. 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
  4. WWYD: bad farm situation of good friend
    By mybrownpaperbag in forum Off Course
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Oct. 30, 2010, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness