The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Horses & populist resentment

Have to say I choked pretty hard on the NY Times article on Sunday about Ann Romney. Aside from the attempt to make something out of nothing with regard to someone's frivolous lawsuit, the transparent attempt to paint Dressage, and by extension all participants in equestrian sport, with the broad brush of ultra-elitism really made me gag.

My question is: Have you felt populist resentment (reverse snobbery) against us is increasing as a result of articles like this and others lately that attempt to show the horse sports in a negative light? What about the "Occupy" movement?

Is it just me, or are drivers ruder when you're on a horse, or driving your trailer, or wherever? Some of my clients have had some really nasty & scary experiences . . .

no.

and the Occupy movement is many many different people with differing POVs.

however, welcome to our political machine where it is ok to turn nothing into something and create a mob of crazed individuals who react to mass marketing in the blink of an eye.

I don't think it is increasing, I think it has always been there.

i think it's always been there too. people with horses are perceived to be rich and snobby around here.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    i think it's always been there too. people with horses are perceived to be rich and snobby around here.
    (My "eye" key s broken so please bear wth me.)

Yep, well, and honestly horse people are not try!ng to change that percept!on very hard.

Almost weekly there are threads that have the l!nes "So EYE screamed at the b!ker/motor!st/small chld/dog walker/etc about how they were SCAR!NG POOR FLUFFY and how EYE should SUE them!! Everyone should act l!ke Fluffy !s a lttle Ch!na doll!"

And on every sngle one of those threads EYE post somethng along the lnes of "Try not be!ng the crazy b!tch on horseback, 'kay? !t's not a good !mage to present to the world." And then ! just get sn!pped at.

Wonder how the reception would be if she rode QHs or western. Ronald Reagan rode in an English saddle (but I believe that was downplayed) but his wife rode in a western saddle when she rode. But then, didn't he ride in a western hat and being a man, isn't riding into the sunset a manly thing to do?

Come to think of it, isn't riding dressage where one has to have such a heightened awareness of what your body is doing at every moment, the perfect fit for her problem with body awareness? Has anyone, esp the USDF, even tried to explain this to the general populace?

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    (
    Almost weekly there are threads that have the l!nes "So EYE screamed at the b!ker/motor!st/small chld/dog walker/etc about how they were SCAR!NG POOR FLUFFY and how EYE should SUE them!! Everyone should act l!ke Fluffy !s a lttle Ch!na doll!"

And on every sngle one of those threads EYE post somethng along the lnes of "Try not be!ng the crazy b!tch on horseback, 'kay? !t's not a good !mage to present to the world." And then ! just get sn!pped at.
    EYE (LOL! ) could not possibly agree with you more. There are a lot of entitled people around but the horse world seems to have more than its share. One small example I just witnessed- I was cleaning my stuff up after riding. A woman comes to tack her horse up in one of the wash stalls. (at my barn there are 8 cross ties next to 8 wash stalls). Not hosing off a leg or anything, just tacking up. No biggie. UNTIL, one of the grooms brought a hot horse over to hose it off. This woman loudly starts complaining that he needs to wait until she is done tacking up because she was getting some water on her and her horse. Um, hello. YOU chose to tack up in the wash stall when ALL EIGHT of the cross ties were empty. So entitled. I should have said something but at that moment in time I just didn't feel like getting in to it with that type of person. Because I could picture exactly what the reaction would be...
    ~Living the life I imagined~

You are all barking up the wrong tree. No one who finds horse ownership and riding to be potentially elitist or snobby is very aware of the fine points of this or that discipline. The just think "horses = money and privilege", and that's that.

And I seriously doubt Occupy is sweating anyone's pony ride.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I guess I just live in an area of the country where most visible horses are standing in mud, in a ranshackled wire fence, with strips of underwear tied to it, behind a double wide, parked in some scrub brush on a sliver of unuseable land, next to an upturned trampoline and some weeds.

No one around here has made that "horse=elite sport" connection yet.

It's just the same old class warfare the Left has been using for years to appeal to the masses. If one is successful, one is evil -- unless, of course, that one happens to be a member of the media or the Left-wing clique.

Yeah, George Soros! We're talking about you here!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I guess I just live in an area of the country where most visible horses are standing in mud, in a ranshackled wire fence, with strips of underwear tied to it, behind a double wide, parked in some scrub brush on a sliver of unuseable land, next to an upturned trampoline and some weeds.

No one around here has made that "horse=elite sport" connection yet.
    A bit of that here also, where some that have horses are thought to be a bit lower in the social order.

Not saying that there are not higher orders of horse endeavors, like breed showing or some disciplines, but most horse people around here are ropers, team penners, barrel racers and in general rodeo/playday folks.
    The rest of the citizens look a bit down on them, as maybe not as sophisticated as the golf, boat and RV people.

I will always remember when, after asking who could teach their kid to ride and mentioning a very good beginner teacher, that happens to be a competitive barrel racer, the parents declined, because they didn't want their kid "to maybe end up a barrel racer".

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    Have to say I choked pretty hard on the NY Times article on Sunday about Ann Romney. Aside from the attempt to make something out of nothing with regard to someone's frivolous lawsuit, the transparent attempt to paint Dressage, and by extension all participants in equestrian sport, with the broad brush of ultra-elitism really made me gag.
    I said this before on the Dressage forum, but maybe it bears repeating here. At the level at which Ann Romney "does dressage," and the article was about Ann Romney's specific participation in the sport, it IS ultra-elitist. More than one six-figure horse and tens of thousands of dollars a year in boarding, training, veterinarian, shoeing, and showing expenses.

I think that most people--at least if they stop to think--know that almost ANYTHING that can be done either very cheaply or very expensively. That there's "having horses" the way Uncle Joe had old Red in a one-acre wire-fenced yard with a shed for shelter, and there's "having horses" like owning a $50,000 warmblood and boarding, training, and showing it to the tune of one or two grand (or more) a month.

I think that the perception of the Romneys being "out of touch" because of their vast wealth is a problem for them politically, but I don't think that's attributable to Ann's riding. I knew the Romneys had megabucks before I ever knew she rode.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I said this before on the Dressage forum, but maybe it bears repeating here. At the level at which Ann Romney "does dressage," and the article was about Ann Romney's specific participation in the sport, it IS ultra-elitist. More than one six-figure horse and tens of thousands of dollars a year in boarding, training, veterinarian, shoeing, and showing expenses.

I think that most people--at least if they stop to think--know that almost ANYTHING that can be done either very cheaply or very expensively. That there's "having horses" the way Uncle Joe had old Red in a one-acre wire-fenced yard with a shed for shelter, and there's "having horses" like owning a $50,000 warmblood and boarding, training, and showing it to the tune of one or two grand (or more) a month.

I think that the perception of the Romneys being "out of touch" because of their vast wealth is a problem for them politically, but I don't think that's attributable to Ann's riding. I knew the Romneys had megabucks before I ever knew she rode.
    Exactly. When Mrs Romney makes statements like "I'm like any horse crazy girl. If I have to get up a 5 AM and fly to California to ride (with trainer Jan Ebeling) I will". Yeah, right. That's not elitist?

It probably depends a bit on the discipline - I think those who ride in the English disciplines are often perceived as the "rich, pampered and snobby" of the horse world.

The Western disciplines are often thought of as "cowboys." And "cowboys" are either humble and down-to-earth, or they're wild party-boy macho types.

I've met people who fit those stereotypes pretty well, and others who are just the opposite.

I'm a Heinz-57 trail rider - I ride a Tennesee Walker in an English bridle and a Western saddle.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Drivers are just ruder, whether you are pulling a trailer or not. I don't think the NY Times has made the general populace hate horse people!! (The general populace doesn't even read the NY Times).
    Last edited by kcmel; May. 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Exactly. When Mrs Romney makes statements like "I'm like any horse crazy girl. If I have to get up a 5 AM and fly to California to ride (with trainer Jan Ebeling) I will". Yeah, right. That's not elitist?
    Considering all the threads on COTH about flying off to try horses, why you NEED a trainer with you, $5000 saddles, all the things a horse "must" have (absurd amount of equpiment, supplements, chiro, shoes, wraps, blankets, injections, this that and the other thing), what your barn should look like, what is considered "reasonable" for board and lessons, what going to shows costs, whether those icky 'mortified adults' really belong at rated shows, how awful the racing world is because they overtly admit it's a business they're in for money, mockery of obviously-low-income craigslist posters, stereotyping of people from different regions of the country...yeah, I really wouldn't pick on Ann Romney for being "elitist." It's all cut from the same cloth.

If anything...she's doing her sport at the level she can afford, as many people on here insist is their rights and those who can't afford the stereotypical six-figure "10 mover" should stop complaining and learn to appreciate what they have and go to shows for the personal achievement of riding well.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post

My question is: Have you felt populist resentment (reverse snobbery) against us is increasing as a result of articles like this and others lately that attempt to show the horse sports in a negative light? What about the "Occupy" movement?

Is it just me, or are drivers ruder when you're on a horse, or driving your trailer, or wherever? Some of my clients have had some really nasty & scary experiences . . .
    Only from Liberal Democrats with an agenda.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

The romneys just don't get it! They bash obama (and I do not like obama, I'm a radical not a liberal, liberals talk the talk while radicals march and protest and interact with all races and levels of society) for not taking care of the middle class, then Mrs. Romney wears a 990$ tee shirt on tv the other morning.. And Romney talks about how altho he wanted to let GM fail, he owns several Cadillacs. One for each home, apparently. A man of the common people.

Horse-wise, it's just a different expense. Some of my friends spend money on golf memberships; some go skiing; some bought expensive guns for trap (don't say skeet to them!) shooting competitions, etc. I spent money on horses. In fact, in my area, the QH people look down on us imported WB owners.

I read the NYTimes daily btw.

No matter what, no matter whom, and no matter where, one of mankind's most basic instincts is to define who is "us" and who is "them" and laud the former while denegrating the latter. Horses just make it easy.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I think that society in general has become more removed from dealing with livestock. Horses no longer work pulling carriages or plowing fields. They have been replaced by more efficient machines. You can go for a long time not seeing a horse in the city.

Is the level of dressage Ann Romney participates in elitist. Sure, most people don't have her level of discretionary income to spend on horses. (I wish I did, though.) I don't expect to see her at the local schooling shows.

I agree that she is getting more heat than she deserved. Reagan was never subject to that criticism about riding nd certainly not his wife, Nancy. However, Reagan played cowboys in his career and the times were different when he was president.

I don't know what Ann Romney is supposed to do. Quit riding? Take up reining perhaps? Anky reins. Maybe Ann can rein, too?

And to be honest, I could care less what Ann does. The person I am concerned about is Mitt as he wants to have the role of running our country.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com