The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A Supple Poll

For those of you who have experienced this level of thoroughness how would you describe the feel?

I ask because I think my guy is offering and I am doing my best to be on the receiving end. This seems to be something new and not your average acceptance of the bridle, submission, on the bit sort of thing. It is also not something Im asking for but something he is offering up. Feels a little like the last remaining blockages have been removed.

Would appreciate some collective guidance to be sure we are on the right track.

It takes a very good hand Bravo!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Bump-Really, no one cares to address this?

I always describe throughness as the feeling that you can do whatever you want-longer steps, shorter steps, sideways, halt, canter, walk, whatever, very easily with the horse on the bit and willing.

To me, it presents in the reins as a 'thick' feeling that is not dead, but subtly alive. Not a weight, but not tentative.

It's a 'not for sissies" feeling, as the horse is also giving me a signal that he's not fooling around and I better be up for the task. He's movin', and I as the partner better know how to deal!

I doubt this has helped... I'm sorry if it's made things more confusing. But the fact that you're experiencing it on a discrete level suggests you are indeed feeling a throughness.

to me it feels like there is nothing between me and my horse - ie we are one and i think they deliver... the horse is handy, bends and flexes as i ask... of course it is a ongoing process... but when it feels like there is no me or him just "we" i know we are on the right path.

with a supple poll there should be no resistance, and the horse should seek the bit and "take you" a bit, he should flex easily,m change bend and flexion easily, etc.

interesting thing to try to describe lol!

cool for you and pony!

Light is my feeling. Such a lightness in the reins the bridle the movement the forehand. Feeling of he is melting under me and I am melting into him as one force. The feeling that I a can just barely give a cue and it's on we are as one doing the movement. And truthfully to me it's such an easy feeling. Such a nice easy ride if your up to the task and are use to the feeling and able to stay with the horse.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole