The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Roanoke, VA Dressage

Hi all,

I am looking for any information on dressage trainers in the Roanoke, VA area. A trainer with schoolmasters is necessary as I do not own my own horse. As this is the case, someone who would allow me to work off extra riding time would be fantastic. I am an intermediate rider schooling around first level. Thanks!
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by catosis View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking for any information on dressage trainers in the Roanoke, VA area. A trainer with schoolmasters is necessary as I do not own my own horse. As this is the case, someone who would allow me to work off extra riding time would be fantastic. I am an intermediate rider schooling around first level. Thanks!
    Not being snarky, but how can you be intermediate if you're only schooling First Level? How are you qualifying that? Another horse sport?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Not being snarky, but how can you be intermediate if you're only schooling First Level? How are you qualifying that? Another horse sport?

Jeezum Crow.
    Wow.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Catosis, it seems that nowadays you are in a bit of a desert area for UL dressage in the Roanoke area, though its some of the most beautiful land in the US, IMO. See if this link to the SWVADA helps you.
    http://www.swvada.org/

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post

Jeezum Crow.
    Wow.
    Hey, it is a serious question. If she has other riding experiences that make her an intermediate rider, she might be able to trade those for lessons at some barns that don't normally have school horses. They might allow her to do a trade on other horses for lessons on their horses in training, etc.

First Level is not an intermediate level rider in and of itself. It's a beginning level in dressage. It used to be the lowest level in dressage. And if you look at all the other levels, it would mean she's a beginner and would like to find solid school horses that are not too sensitive for a a student who is only learning to use her seat well at the sitting trot, and does not understand the collection needed at the medium to higher levels.

Why is THAT so bad? Seriously, if people want to learn, they need to be real. If they are very real with their abilities and what they want and where they want to go, then they'll find people who will get them there.

For all I know, she's dead on and she's very competent and she's ridden jumpers or something else for years and has a seat like super glue. She just needs to explain that so people out here can help hook her up with the right people. Which might even mean finding someone outside of the Roanoke area.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

The OP may be saying that she is an intermediate level rider because she has ridden horses for a while--hunters maybe--and she is now persuing dressage.

There are a few dressage trainers in the area, I used to live there but that was 20 years ago.

The OP isn't applying to you for a job - she's looking to pay someone near Roanoke VA for dressage lessons. A poster doesn't need to justify their riding skills in order to get an answer on where to find instruction.

KO, I lived in the area too, many moons ago, but everyone I knew is somewhere else now.

Back to OP.
    Sue Cooper, Impulsion Unlimited, in Huddleston sells good dressage horses. She might have some work for you. Not sure what level horses she might have you ride, if she teaches, etc., but that is someone I know in your direction, she is very capable, about 50 minutes from Roanoke.
    Good luck in your search

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    The OP isn't applying to you for a job - she's looking to pay someone near Roanoke VA for dressage lessons. A poster doesn't need to justify their riding skills in order to get an answer on where to find instruction.

KO, I lived in the area too, many moons ago, but everyone I knew is somewhere else now.
    Yes, she's looking for a job. She would like to trade for lessons with someone. Posting some of those skills helps people line her up with the right barn and trainer.

Sheesh, some of you people see lions and tigers and bears in every post--unless it's yours.
    Last edited by Velvet; Aug. 15, 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Even though she isn't a dressage rider-Caroline Atherholt in Eagle Rock (about 45 minutes from Roanoke) has some nice horses 2 of which are at 3rd Level and she gives lessons.

She is a 4**** eventer but can at least help with the dressage. Text her at 540-960-1307.

If not she may be able to give you some names.

Lynn Jendrowski is at Flanagan stables in Christiansburg, which is just up I-81 - a quick 37 mile ride. She is super nice, is a Grand Prix rider, and always has horses to ride. They have a web site you can check out.

As stated, Sue Cooper is also good. Although hers is mainly a sales barn, she does offer working student positions, and always has several nice horses of all levels. Her website is Impulsion Unlimited.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by KO View Post
    The OP may be saying that she is an intermediate level rider because she has ridden horses for a while--hunters maybe--and she is now persuing dressage.

There are a few dressage trainers in the area, I used to live there but that was 20 years ago.
    That is precisely what I am saying. Perhaps I should have clarified that; I have been riding for a total of nine years and started out in the hunters, but transitioned into dressage about five-ish years ago.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by catosis View Post
    That is precisely what I am saying. Perhaps I should have clarified that; I have been riding for a total of nine years and started out in the hunters, but transitioned into dressage about five-ish years ago.
    There you go! That's all I was asking--for clarity's sake. I would say this then opens the doors for different trades. You could help an eventer with some nice horses and school them over fences and help them with their stadium work, in exchange for learning to ride dressage.

Or, you can go to a dressage trainer with younger horses that need to be worked and help work them in a longer and lower frame and get them going, then ride some better horses in the barn for lessons (maybe the trainer's horses).

That's the only reason I asked. That information was not in the OP and it's VERY helpful when people provide not only names of other barns, but personal referrals!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Sue Cooper is outstanding. She is in Huddleston which is just north east of Roanoke proper. Very close to town.

I happened to be on a shopping trip in the Netherlands years ago and she tagged along with the guy who organized the trip--Steve W--she'll know who you're talking about. Fun person and a good rider. I was trying to remember her name when you posted.

Ask her about the crazy freisan she tried for a client over in Holland--ZOOM--boy was she brave. This was 2006/2007 or so. I would definately call her. If she does not have anything to meet what you are looking for she knows everyone and seems like a really helpful person.

Velvet--just a thought. Lots of people come to this board looking for help. IMHO you could have approached your response to the OP more sensitively. Perhaps your first reply could have just asked "when you say intermediate rider what does that mean? Have you ridden other disciplines? Or are you a beginning rider? This would help us to give you advice" rather than the--as you yourself said--the snarky response.

Actually, KO, I said I was NOT trying to be snarky. Just asking a question for clarity.

It seems you and others read snark into it, even though I clearly stated I was not trying to be snarky.

I get that I could have thought of mutliple ways to phrase that question, but knowing people out here, I'm sure one or two (at least) would have still read something more into it than was intended. And your reply came after I had already added additional information in another post--which means you were one of those people who felt a need to defend the OP even when they were not under attack.

Oh, well. I hope this poster finds the right situation!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Hey Velvet-- we crossed in the internet night. You were just trying to be helpful. My bad.

Gabriele Hooten is located in Roanoke (Garden City area). She doesn't have any high-level lesson horses at the minute, but if you want to get a grounding in basics, she's good. http://www.thesolidrockdressage.com/index.htm

Default Yes u are beug "snarky"". This person said they were an intermediate rider.....not

an Intermediaire Level rider. How long have you been familiar with Dressage? It is possible to be an intermediate (not beginner and not perfect) at First Level. Try to be helpful. Seek to understand and help....without attitude. Okay?

I went to high school with a girl that started every statement "not being mean or anything....but..."

Just made me laugh and reminisce!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

1 members found this post helpful.