The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default Penny Oaks

For those I have talked to and told that I'd be there... I'm not. Seems a communication snafu has crept up and I won't be announcing this weekend. Have a fantastic ride to all who are going!!

So it seems I'm done announcing for the season... unless any org here needs a great announcer (no time to be shy, I am good at what I do and I've been doing it for almost 15 years).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Aww shoot, that's too bad, would've been great to meet you. We're going, weather looks great, wish my jumping was a bit better - as always.

Sad to see you won't be there, tle.

I'm going, riding Training. Hopefully it will be a nice, confidence boosting go for us. We schooled XC this weekend and it went well. Now I just have to remember how to ride once I get to the show
    God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

Once again Eventers have shown why I love them. We were at the Hoosier Horse Park, had come back to ride after a XC course walk, and found my boy in quite obvious distress, colicking. It progressed to the point where the show vet, Dr Yates, who did a fabulous job, said to load up and get to Rood and Riddle. With the help of our fellow competitors last night we were torn down and loaded in minutes. Thank you! Everything is fine today, a severe gas colic. And, as usual, great care at R+R. Bummed about missing a great show, people, weather and footing but grateful for all of the help and the beast's fast recovery.

I am happy that Jaycee is doing well!

We are so lucky to have Rood and Riddle and Hagyard so close.

Did Dr. Woodie work on him?

Sorry about your event. Did Gryhrs have to withdraw too?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    I am happy that Jaycee is doing well!

We are so lucky to have Rood and Riddle and Hagyard so close.

Did Dr. Woodie work on him?

Sorry about your event. Did Gryhrs have to withdraw too?
    Thanks, Dr Embertson was on call, Gryhrs came with. Her horse pulled a shoe this morning! This show was not meant to be.

Sorry to hear about your horse, riderboy, but I'm glad everything turned out well!

Today wasn't our day, either. Had a pretty bad dressage warm-up but somehow managed to put in a very nice test. I was super happy with it, the judge agreed.

But then cross-country got us. I was hoping this would be a nice confidence booster after I took a tumble at Encore. Unfortunately, I took another tumble today. We were coming up nicely to the coffin, I really thought he had locked on, and then it was just like he decided not to take off. No sucking back and backing off. No warning. I'm fine, my horse is fine, my ego is not. We had been doing really well up to this point, too. So now I'm frustrated. I see a pattern emerging, but it's not necessarily something that you can school in the ring, and there's nowhere near us where we can go XC schooling that has the type of question (since we actually need terrain, and Ohio is FLAT). :/

Oh well. Horses.

Tucker, sorry about your fall, but you did make it around some big fences and the water. Well done!

I had heard the training course was actually quite tough. That came from a rider who normally rides in Area II and III. They were actually quite impressed with the course.

So much for the Area VIII BN and N Championships being taken away from Penny Oaks, because TPTB did not believe that their courses would be difficult enough for Championship divisions! (SLR, I know you said Training, but I imagine that they would know how to beef up BN and N, too.)

Even if I could not make the changed date, I hope that everyone had a great show. The weather definitely cooperated.

Riderboy,
    How is your boy doing today?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Heading home as I write this, boys are good, thanks!

Glad your boy is okay, RB!
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks delta, sheesh, that little booger had me really scared this time.

So sorry Tuckertoo. Such a bummer. But I'm with Riderboy - you got thru a
    very tough water and HUGE trakehner so you go!! Those were some big questions. When I walked the course - I was quite taken aback. Besides the above and the coffin......a bank complex that looked quite daunting to me! I was almost hyperventilating after the first course walk. Will never know how we would have fared given our emergency vet trip with RB's horse. Not sure I would have made it as far as you did.

Last time I did Penny Oaks training was maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I do not remember it being such a beefy or question filled course at that time but I'm sure there was something for me to obsess about even then My theory is this year's training course was beefed up because they changed prelim to a P/T division. I don't have a more recent P.O.'s training course frame of reference than the one years ago.

RB and Gryhrs - so glad the beasts are okay! Colic is so scary and a pulled shoe the morning of a show is just plain stinky luck.

Tuckertoo - Super sorry about your fall. I hate those "wish I could turn back the clock" moments. Bruised egos take a lot longer to heal than bruised bones Hope you get back in the saddle soon and get it sorted out.

Making my bounce-back next month at 5 Points HT (carolina horse park), first time out since the big rollover. My brain is ready to go, the body is a wee bit out of shape
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Oh darn. Sorry to hear about Jaycee, riderboy, but glad to hear he is doing much better now! I had heard that a horse colicked, but did not hear who. I was fence judging on Saturday and was sad to see that you and gryhrs had scratched. I would have loved to see your runs!

Gryhrs - FYI My mom and I were the fence judges at the Pam Am Banks complex and it actually rode VERY well! We didn't have one issue from any pair that made it that far for both P/T and the Training divisions. I'm sure you would have ridden it well
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Quote Originally Posted by GutsNGlory View Post
    Gryhrs - FYI My mom and I were the fence judges at the Pam Am Banks complex and it actually rode VERY well! We didn't have one issue from any pair that made it that far for both P/T and the Training divisions. I'm sure you would have ridden it well
    That is good to hear! I am so sad we could not have given it a go! I tend to freak over some combo which then ends up riding great- then will have a stop at a single log fence

The Penny Oaks sec'y, organizer and our fellow comperitors could not have been kinder during our scare. thanks for volunteering GNG! wish I cold have met you!

ACME - you'll b a rockstar next month!

FWIW -- yrs of fence judging does show you a few things. The Pan Am banks at Penny Oaks were at the end of the run and all the horses were going in full committment by then.

Also that set of banks is easier to jump up. They are at their best when you're jumping them down and at the beginning of the run!

So allay your fears and brave on!

So glad to hear that the colic scare ended safely. Too bad they can't drink beer and belch.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

ACME, glad you're back in the saddle, rock on!

Thanks everybody. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that course was a little more beefy than the omnibus "average." (Yet another time I wish the omnibus course rating system would be revamped. But that is a discussion for another day, and I'm not blaming what happened this weekend on that.)

Just glad that at the end of the day, everyone and their horses went home safe and in good health.

ACME-- Good luck! You'll rock it!