The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good place to eat in Camden, Sc.

Headed to the Tack Room for some shopping and also the Steeplechase Museum in a few weeks. Looking for a good local establishment for lunch and dinner in Camden, Sc. Anybody have suggestions?

I'm no help, but curious to see the replies! Every time I make the trip to the Tack Room I wind up eating somewhere quick like Subway, because I can never find any other options. I would love to include a nice lunch spot for my afternoons spent shopping there.

Been a while, but lunch at Everyday Gourmet and dinner at Lucy's. Both still google so I assume still going strong.

A friend of mine is visiting some relatives in Columbia, and is making a side trip to Camden just to go to The Tack Room.

I was sad when The Paddock closed in Camden. We ate there for years every time we passed through town.

Everyday Gourmet is still a good bet for lunch. If you want a nice dinner, try Sam Kendall's or you can also try Indigo Jones.

FYI, Lunch in Camden mean lunchtime...like noon til 1....MAYBE 2. If you want lunch at something other than a chain, you need to get it done. I spent several winters in Camden, and we always seemed to suffer from forgetting this!

The Armory (I think?) is good for lunch.

I once ate at The Pearl for lunch. It was a kick. Like sitting down in someone's grandma's dining room! Lemonade and iced tea. It was good, too, if I recall.

I don't know if I ate at Sam Kendall's, but I KNOW I ate in that space. Whatever it was, it was delicious.

I also really like Indigo Jones, if it is still there.

There's a funky place outside of town...it was in an old general store. May have even been called that. It had a cool atmosphere and lots of good, southern kind of food. I ate fried alligator there.

Jealous. I love the Tack Room! That and the hacking out on hunt country are the only two reasons to go to Camden (sorry, Camden folks. It's sooooo sleepy for my taste!).

Was that general store at Boykin's Mill? I had lunch at such a place when we were stationed at Shaw AFB in the mid-90's. There was also a really good restaurant at the same site where DH and I had a 15th anniversary dinner. Pricey, but one of the best meals I've ever had.

That sounds very, very likely. I want to say it was south of town, but I would have to look at a map to tell!

The Armory is very good! Best place to eat if you don't want to do fast food.

You are correct on Boykin Mill outside of town, heading toward Rembert if I recall correctly. Neat place!

Another vote for Everyday Gourmet. I always stop in for lunch after emptying my pockets at the Tack Room. The brie & bacon is very good, but I always get the same thing everytime: turkey & swiss on sourdough all the way (lettuce, tomato, sprouts, horseradish...) Yummy!

Hate that the Paddock closed. There is a good sushi place in town too, but can't recall the name. Maybe someone else knows. Have fun~ Camden is a 2 hour drive from where I live & my favorite daytrip besides Charleston!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Camden House of Pizza was always my favorite. So jealous you're going to the Tack Room!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

If you are looking for a fancy dinner place, try The Millpond. It is a steakhouse right outside of Camden (no more than 15 mins or so from The Tack Shop). Neat place and good food.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have already Googled most and seems that they are all still operating.

Is the Steeplechase museum worth a stop?

I went in once for a party. It was pretty cool.

Camden House of Pizza!!!
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com