The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Overnight Trip to Assateague...Looking for Suggestions

Hi everyone…I’m planning an overnight trip to Assateague later this year with my horse and wanted to know if you have any suggestions on where to stay, where to board overnight, where to ride, etc. I was thinking about doing the loop around Tom’s Hook Cove. But I’ve never been and am open to ideas. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There's really no where for "overnight" boarding for campers near here.

I could ask a couple friends if they wouldn't mind it, but you'd definitely have to have proof of coggins, etc and you probably wouldn't be able to leave your trailer there. We are about 10mi west of Assateague near Berlin.

You may want to look into www.hollyridgefarm.com - they may be open to an overnighter and their farm is very nice. They do guided trail rides too, which is why I think they'd be more open to a quick camper coming through.

I'm not familiar with Tom's Hook Cove, and I've lived here my entire life. Please explain where that is?
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Where and when you can ride: http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisi...ack-riding.htm

I don't know about short term boarding, but Pony Pines Farm and Queen Hive Farm are local boarding barns on the Virginia mainland. There isn't anywhere to board on Chincoteague as far as I know.

I rode part of the Tom's Cove hook with a group of friends last fall

This isn't going to help you in the least, I'm sure. But I was there a few weeks back before the pony swim. On Maddox, or maybe Chicken City, there was a paddock attached to the parking lot of a hotel. At the time we stayed, it was first vacant, then contained one horse. Looked like some type of smallish open field next to it, and a 3 sided shed for shelter.

I want to say it was less than 3 minutes from where they had the Blueberry/ 'Art' Festival. Maybe the local police can give you a tip?

Still no clue where you'd ride, though.

DEET. As strong as you can find for both you and your horse.

I will second the DEET! Mosquitos on the island are the size of bumble bees......
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Pony Pines would be your best bet. I'm local to the area, so feel free to PM me if I can help you with contact or other info.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post

I'm not familiar with Tom's Hook Cove, and I've lived here my entire life. Please explain where that is?
    VA end of Assateague
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

There's a b&b called Windrush in the town of Eastville(about 20ish miles above the Bay Bridge/Tunnel). They have pastures and stalls available.

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    VA end of Assateague
    A-ha! Got it. I'm on the MD end, never been to VA/Chincoteague (I know, I've lived here my whole life and never been to Chincoteague, I'm a terrible horse person LOL).

I second the DEET and definitely wait until Oct/Nov to go. Still mild out, but less/no bugs.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!! Very helpful and points me in the right direction. I will probably PM some of you for add'l details.

The mosquitoes are HUGE and, I swear, can get into your closed up car through the vents.

I'd go after mosquito season is over and before it starts.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I went down for Pony Penning this year and was actually surprised that the mosquitoes weren't all that bad (compared to other years). I usually come home with a count-less number of bites, this year it was only 4 or 5. It was extremely dry down there though at the time.