The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jimmy is doing monthly clinics at Sharon White's in Summit Point, WV and Mike Mendell's near Flint Hill, VA.

He is definitely doing novice level and up.

Dustin and Michelle Craig over in White Post are awesome:
    http://www.westwindequine.com/aboutus.htm

They are both excellent instructors and Dusty is especially good working with difficult or problem children.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by pook View Post
    Sonja Crampton is superb. She was on the Canadian 3-Day team. Wonderful at all 3 phases of eventing
    I just got a horse back off lease at Sonya's barn. They took great care of him and he looks like a million bucks.

I second Stephen Bradley and Lynn Symansky. Stephanie Rhodes- Bosch is no longer in Middleburg. I would also suggest Hannah Sue Burnett, Jan Byyny, and Sara Kozumplik. Jim Wofford teaches a good bit at Sharon White's barn, but she's actually just over the line in WV.

Fergs, Lynn's former horse was Training Horse of the Year with Julie Gomena (his former owner and winner of Rolex in 1994)...not a stopper at BNT...?

Yellowbritches, you are correct re Jim.

Skyeler, Mara, Sharon, Allison...all fantastic.

Default Skyeler Voss

One of Skyeler's longtime students just WON FHI **!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atwood View Post
    Fergs, Lynn's former horse was Training Horse of the Year with Julie Gomena (his former owner and winner of Rolex in 1994)...not a stopper at BNT...?

Yellowbritches, you are correct re Jim.

Skyeler, Mara, Sharon, Allison...all fantastic.
    Just caught this thread....not going to say anything about instructors as I am Lynn's dad (and obviously biased) but thought I should at least cite the record. I looked at the USEA record which went back to 1997. Lynn got Fergus when she was 14, the previous rider had done a few trainings (I think 3? as record is missing) was eliminated twice at prelim and had 20 xc penalties at their only other P outing. Lynn took her time building a partnership with him and they rose through the ranks from training through advanced by the time she was 18. Together they were alternates for the Pan Ams while she was a full time college student, and successfully did several *** and ****s. She's brought several other horses to the upper levels from scratch, most recently Donner who was her gold medalist partner at the Pan Am games last year. When Lynn purchased Donner he had trouble at BN. I have a feeling that one of the commentators is mixing up the record of the previous riders of these horses?

And she has an 80'x160 indoor with a sand and carpet mix.

Quote Originally Posted by steves View Post
    Just caught this thread....not going to say anything about instructors as I am Lynn's dad (and obviously biased) but thought I should at least cite the record. I looked at the USEA record which went back to 1997. Lynn got Fergus when she was 14, the previous rider had done a few trainings (I think 3? as record is missing) was eliminated twice at prelim and had 20 xc penalties at their only other P outing. Lynn took her time building a partnership with him and they rose through the ranks from training through advanced by the time she was 18. Together they were alternates for the Pan Ams while she was a full time college student, and successfully did several *** and ****s. She's brought several other horses to the upper levels from scratch, most recently Donner who was her gold medalist partner at the Pan Am games last year. When Lynn purchased Donner he had trouble at BN. I have a feeling that one of the commentators is mixing up the record of the previous riders of these horses?

And she has an 80'x160 indoor with a sand and carpet mix.

Dear Lynn's dad,

Thanks for your input. It is so cute how big a fan you are of your daughter! I am an old friend of Julie Gomena's, who is, as you know, winner of Rolex in 1994 and the trainer/rider from whom you purchased Fergus. I used to live next to Julie in Unison and now reside with my family on our farm in Upperville.

Anyways, Julie is a phenomenal trainer and rider (her record and that of her students speaks for itself) and it hurts me to read or hear feedback that she did not give Fergus a solid start in eventing because I know that it simply isn't true. This is not the first time I've heard such negative and untrue things, as I remember watching Julie pilot the beautiful Fergus around Preliminary level with ease and grace. Thanks again for giving some credit where credit is due.

Regards,
    Judith

Everyone has great recs- in that area, I like Stephen Bradley as he taught me in LHPC and wasn't scary
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Just wanted to chime in about two of my clients.

Stephen Bradley is absolutely wonderful. I've been organizing clinics with him for almost 3 years now, and he is a supremely talented instructor. Rarely does someone not go away with a smile on their face and a new tool in their toolbox. His farm is in White Post, VA and while he doesn't have an indoor (he's hardcore!), he does have access to one nearby. You can learn more about riding with Stephen here: http://www.stephensbradley.com/STEPH.../SERVICES.html

Stephanie Rhodes-Bosch is now based at Sunset Hill Farm in Woodbine, MD. You can meet her at their Open House on November 10th and get a 1/2 price lesson if you're interested. Details here: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/C...id=uRFnT8nZ4_M
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

One of Skyeler's longtime students just WON FHI **!!!
    Yes, we're all proud of him. Couldn't have done it without that amazing horse of his, though.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

A bit east, in Centreville, Shannon O'Roark is excellent, especially for someone looking for an easy going trainer, in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Anyways, Julie is a phenomenal trainer and rider (her record and that of her students speaks for itself) and it hurts me to read or hear feedback that she did not give Fergus a solid start in eventing because I know that it simply isn't true. This is not the first time I've heard such negative and untrue things
    For the record, I didn't name the BNT (you did), and I said nothing untrue nor did I implicate that the horse had a bad start. Sometimes, horses and riders need better matches. Trust me, I've had plenty that went on to bigger and better things with new owners!

To give credit where credit is due in this case is to acknowledge that Lynn did an excellent job with Fergus, as well as with other horses. Glad SteveS weighed in!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sean McQuillan is excellent with a wide variety of horses and a very understanding and patient teacher. Wonderful facility as well, check out www.kilfinnanstables.com.