The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eventing Instructors in Middleburg Area

I'm looking for recommendations for instructors in the Middleburg area. I'd like to find someone who has a good analytical eye for jumping and can make changes in the horse and rider. (preferably not someone who just has you and your horse do grids all the time without giving specific feedback). It is a novice level horse and rider.

Can't throw a hoofpick without hitting a half-dozen in Middleburg. For Novice level stuff, I'd say any of Tiffany Catledge (Fox Chase), Sean McQuillan (Upperville), Skyler Icke (Morningside), or Lynn Symansky. All good, work well with amateurs, and have good programs. Tiffany, Sean, and Skyler all have indoors at the farms they work out of - don't know about Lynn but wouldn't be surprised if she had access to one.

Can't throw a hoofpick without hitting a half-dozen in Middleburg.
    So very true.

It is hard to NOT find a good instructor in the area (though, I am always shocked at the number of people who do manage to ride with some of the worst). All three GS mentions are good (I do think Lynn has an indoor, but don't quote me on that). I would also highly recommend Stephen Bradley. He is a fantastic teacher and very personable.

Sharon White is not far away either.

Stephen Bradley
    Sharon White
    Jan Bynny

are all in that general area.

Thanks. I saw the list of trainers on the area2 website, but had no idea about which were the ones to pursue vs the ones to avoid.

There are tons in the area. In addition to those mentioned, Allison Springer, Mara DePuy and Jimmy Wofford are all in the area... plus many others. If you're looking for someone with a good eye and who can make positive changes, ask lots of questions first. There's at least one person mentioned who doesn't fit your needs IMO.

Sonja Crampton is superb. She was on the Canadian 3-Day team. Wonderful at all 3 phases of eventing

Just an FYI, I don't think Jimmy takes students at home unless they are riding at the one star level or higher. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

A second for Lynn Symansky. And I believe she does have an indoor.

Lynn does have an indoor. Don't recall how large it is. Nice outdoor arena.

For Novice level stuff, I'd say Tiffany Catledge (Fox Chase)

Definitely Lynn Symansky. Some of the other names mentioned here are great, but they teach A LOT of folks and so might not give the attention you want. Lynn is a nice person, great teacher, and has a fantastic track record, both her own and of her students.

Jim doesn't teach anyone out of Fox Covert anymore, to my knowledge. He does clinics of course, and group lessons at Sharon's (and possibly Colleen's) and maybe at other places in the area here and there. If he does some private lessons, they are surely expensive (even if I think they are worth it!).

Lauren Kieffer teaches and trains out of the O'Connor's barn. She is excellent.

Talking

Tiffany Catledge is super! I had a great lesson with her today.

Let me also say that whats worked best in the past were trainers with long term experience dealing with different types of horses, including the ones not necessarily built for jumping. (which may rule out a lot of younger-ish trainers who are wonderful but deal with one type of horse).

Most, if not all of the younger trainers mentioned in this thread definitely have the ability to get the most out of many different types of horses. Lynn and Skyeler teach a lot of Pony Club kids, so might teach a 2* rider then have their next lesson be a D3 on a pony.

Quote Originally Posted by technopony View Post
    Most, if not all of the younger trainers mentioned in this thread definitely have the ability to get the most out of many different types of horses. Lynn and Skyeler teach a lot of Pony Club kids, so might teach a 2* rider then have their next lesson be a D3 on a pony.
    Yep. And Lynn's **** horse was a former stopper with a BNT that she completely turned around and made herself. Her younger UL horse was competing against me and my mare just a couple years ago; we are still toiling at Novice/Training, and he's an Advanced horse now!

Stephanie Rhodes-Bosch also teaches out of Fox Chase, WEG Silver medalist and has brought along everal young horses with alot of success. teaches young and not so young

Check the USEA website for certified Eventing instructors in all areas