The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default PETA - are they really that bad?

I have been conditioned by this forum to believe that everything that PETA says is crazy and they are all dangerous lunatics.

However, when I commented on a friend's, obviously misguided, support of PETA, he challenged me to back up my assertions. So, I went off to the PETA website to look for all these crazy things that I believed they said, as repeated through this forum and quite honestly, although obviously quite extreme in some things, they struck me as actually having very reasoned arguments.

So, like my friend did to me, tell me (by using actual links to statements made by peta, as opposed to just thoughts about what PETA says or does) why he shouldn't support PETA, because I am now at loss.

PETA was barely a blip on the radar with me up until a few years ago when two of their activists were busted for illegal dumping in NC. What had happened was that they were taking animals out of shelters with the assurance of finding them home and then euthanizing them in the van to save them from a fate worse than death. The smell in the van got so bad that they started dumping carcasses in a grocery store dumpster and got caught.

I remember when that came on the news how disgusted I was with any AR activist that so lost perspective to do such a thing. I could only think of the volunteers at the shelters who bond with these animals and were horrified to learn that the dogs, puppies, and cats they'd be entrusted with ended up getting killed in a van and dumped in a dumpster behind a grocery store.

Adria Hinkle and Andrew Cook ended up being charged with illegal dumping
    http://hamptonroads.com/node/217051

So no, PETA can't say anything to me at all.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

This press release is batshit crazy, IMO: http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...al-rights.aspx
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

This used to confuse me too. Fortunately, one of my students decided to write a paper about the rhetoric of PETA that sussed it out to me. <--Behold, one of the awesome advantages of teaching college courses in rhetoric and composition

PETA got its radical reputation more from its methods than from their message. The obnoxious ad campaigns, public stunts, and extremist rhetoric are a lot to take. Now the actual positions behind these stunts? Radical, but not ridiculously so: PETA believes in vegetarianism, they oppose hunting and fishing, and they are not a fan of using animals for entertainment, garments, or experimentation.

Just a sampling of some of PETA's stunts (and reputable news links, lest you think I'm making this stuff up):

1. Showing up at the Westminster Dog Show in KKK outfits, accusing the American Kennel Club of trying to create a "master race" of dogs.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2009-...-protest_N.htm

2. Suggesting to Ben and Jerry's that they should make ice cream from human breast milk instead of cow's milk.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26892950...7#.UCmMDmOe4k4

3. Suggesting that we all start calling fish "sea kittens" because "nobody would put a hook through a sea kitten."
    http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/about.asp

4. The "Holocaust on Your Plate" campaign, which juxtaposed images of factory-raised animals with images of the Nazi Holocaust.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2003-02-28/u...vivor?_s=PM:US

And that's just a smattering. There are other examples too.

There's also some controversy about PETA's position on euthanasia. PETA doesn't believe in no-kill animal shelters, and PETA euthanizes many shelter animals. (FWIW, I'm with PETA on that issue--although I am a meat eater who supports recreational hunting and doesn't mind owning leather goods, so I'm hardly on the PETA bandwagon overall.)

Horsepeople often aren't too crazy about PETA's belief that horses should not ever be ridden with whips or spurs because they allegedly "cause discomfort and pain to horses." But the rest of PETA's statement about horseback riding would pass most horsepeoples' muster.
    http://www.peta.org/about/faq/How-do...ck-riding.aspx
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching September 2015 http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

The California Dairy Commission has (had?) an advertizing campaign about the “California Happy Cows” – poking fun at the miserable weather in other parts of the country, and declaring that California Cows were happier, because we have sunny weather etc.

PETA sued, claiming false advertizing, that dairy cows are really all miserable, all mismanaged, and their site shows nothing but cows up to their udders in filth.

I live in area surrounded by ranchers… beef, and some dairy. I can tell you these are some HAPPY cows – I know, I ride through their pastures several times a week. Every time I see those cows sunny in their pastures along the highway, I think…. Hey PETA, Here are your happy cows!

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...Miserable.aspx

I like how PETA sites the conditions at a PENNSYLVANIA farm as proof that California dairy cows do not have a good life. Ummm why can’t PETA give us some CA examples? I am sure there are some, but any farmer will tell you. Keeping a dairy cow in filth, or otherwise unhealthy conditions will result in poor milk production.

PETA often seems neck deep in miss-information.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    This press release is batshit crazy, IMO: http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...al-rights.aspx
    According to the comments below the article, PETA won.

OP - I can't directly cite anything off the top of my head, but over the years of having some friends become PETA supporters, I watched as these friends became fanatical and completely lost their common sense, all in the name of supporting PETA. That alone made me lose complete respect as well as remove myself from the status of being friends anymore. I believe PETA started with very good intentions, but over the years of operation, it has become more and more fanatical in its behavior and outlook.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I don't think an organization's website is the best place to gather accurate, impartial information. Broaden your search a bit then create your own opinion.

There are several children's books they put out that are completely over the top. Here's one of them:

Daddy Kills

I don't have children, but if I did, they sure wouldn't be reading propaganda such as this trash.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Peta is truly evil.

They support terrorists (animal liberation front ALF rated by DOJ as a terrorist organization). Peta has hired these terrorists and fully support their attacks, burning of medical research labs, burning resorts etc....

They are famous for killing dogs in vans while taking them down to Richmond for a "rescue". They killed dogs as they drove down the road.

Peta supposedly "rescued" a bunch of monkeys from NIH...they killed most of them to save them.

These are animal rights terrorists, they mostly raise money for the few people in command while using "useful idiots" as Lenin called them to do their emotional blackmail.

Truly bad people wrapped in the fur of their animal victims.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I have a friend who donates to HSUS and can't understand why I don't support them as well. She receives their quarterly magazine and thinks their articles are well written and informative.

I work in the agriculture industry as well as raise pigs (and keep horses for pleasure) and fully understand the goals and desires of groups like these, even if they put it out there in pretty little packages.

PETA and HSUS have their own agendas- not necessarily the ones they promote to the general public!

My support of, and donations to, PETA ended in 1996 just before the Atlanta Olympic games. For the eventing phase of cross-country, the organizers were setting up better vet check and misting stations for the comfort and well-being of the horses. IIRC, there was to be a horse trial sometime before the games to see if the system was working as intended, and to iron out any bugs.

PETA hit the roof! A HORSE TRIAL! How dare they! I wrote them a letter explaining that the organizers were trying to help, and that I would think that PETA should graciously thank them, and maybe serve cookies and lemonade to the people working in the hot sun to insure that the horses were ok. Their response was that they condemned any use of any horse. End of discussion.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    There are several children's books they put out that are completely over the top. Here's one of them:

Daddy Kills

I don't have children, but if I did, they sure wouldn't be reading propaganda such as this trash.
    I wonder what they'd write about Mr. Minion. We currently have a bearskin hanging on our wall, between two deer heads.

We'll never go hungry, that's for sure!

It's not so much what they say as what they do.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    It's not so much what they say as what they do.
    this.
    and how they raise $ and what it goes for....

Yes, they are that bad.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Because they are for animal RIGHTS, not animal welfare.

Aka, they are whackos.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

They did do an undercover investigation and filming of the embalming of live cats by Carolina Biological Supply. As a science teacher, it haunts me today. I have only dissected a cat as a student and have never used them in class. And most of the dissection specimens purchased by schools are purchased from Carolina!
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

There is a very, very funny South Park episode about PETA. Off topic, but it's absolutely hilarious.

Also, have you SEEN some of those commercials that they put out at the Superbowl? Women...er....pleasuring themselves with vegetables... another equally horrifying one where women had cow udders instead of of breasts..it was awful!
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPeep View Post
    There is a very, very funny South Park episode about PETA. Off topic, but it's absolutely hilarious.

Also, have you SEEN some of those commercials that they put out at the Superbowl? Women...er....pleasuring themselves with vegetables... another equally horrifying one where women had cow udders instead of of breasts..it was awful!
    PETA believes there is no such thing as bad publicity. They want to be talked about so the more outrageous their statements and proposals the better.....made ya look!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Yes, yes they are really that bad.
    Sheilah