The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When Riding the Olympic Pentathlon, Things Can Go Bad

You have to ride an unfamiliar horse in the Pentathlon. The video at this link shows what can happen.

http://deadspin.com/5933905/horse-go...eo-competition
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Pretty sure that'd be the last time I supplied a horse for the pentathalon... Yikes.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

HOLY CRAP. :O

Everything I've seen about the equestrian portion of this event is just bad... what nutjob thought a 1.10m course was a good idea? Do these riders just not bother learning 1/5 of their sport?!

Although really, I don't blame the horse. That guy was giving incredibly mixed signals. Crouching over the horse's neck, hunched over, pulling on the reins while kicking with the spurs...

Saw a rider pull a horse over backwards in a video from a previous Pentathlon - rider from eastern Europe. They really need to take out the horse part of the pentathlon and substitute another sport that doesn't involve animals. IMO

While I think any horse used needs to be screened for suitability, what I have seen of the pentathalon equestrian riding is not impressive. I can't tell if this rider was giving mixed signals or if the horse was tired and done (horses are used several times for different riders).

That rider didn't do anything terribly wrong. That horse was a complete pig. There is no excuse for flipping over backwards like that... none.

1 members found this post helpful.

YOWZER that guy is lucky to be alive!!

Hope the horse is alright too.

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    Saw a rider pull a horse over backwards in a video from a previous Pentathlon - rider from eastern Europe. They really need to take out the horse part of the pentathlon and substitute another sport that doesn't involve animals. IMO
    It's just ridiculous that they put athletes with very little training time in the saddle in a jump course with an UNFAMILIAR horse! No matter how you look at it, it sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I am sure these athletes practice their fencing, shooting, swimming and running skills. Why on earth do they not get better riding training? If one gets injured in the riding phase (good chance if one is a poor rider) then finishing the competition is out of the question.

The women come on later today. Hopefully there will be a bit more finesse shown.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I just watched the end of the women's portion and, while the riding was certainly better than the guy in this video, it still was pretty crappy. Also, what ever happened to using hairnets?Only a few of the gals seemed to be wearing one. The rest looked just plain ghastly. Guess that's the old hunter and dressage shows competition coming out in me.

I will say that those horses are saints to put up with the riders. I believe they announced that each horse would be used twice and that all the horses had been around the entire course the day before, presumably with a capable rider on deck.

As for the horse and rider in Mike's video, Arab_Mare was right, the rider certainly was giving very mixed signals so no wonder the horse went over backwards. He couldn't go forward from the tight hold on the reins and with the rider's crouched body position and leg and spur pushing him fowward he had no where else to go but up and over. Crap the rider just about had a hold on the bit! The horse wasn't a pig but the rider sure was!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    That rider didn't do anything terribly wrong. That horse was a complete pig. There is no excuse for flipping over backwards like that... none.
    Agreed. The guy may have been giving a bit of stop/go signals, but it's not like he was viciously yanking and spurring. Any horse who will go over backwards is scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

What is it with you people and the hairnets? It is some weird American thing?
    I'd be more worried about the complete lack of riding ability among many of the Pentathletes than hairnets. What do hairnets have to do with riding?

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    What is it with you people and the hairnets? It is some weird American thing?
    I'd be more worried about the complete lack of riding ability among many of the Pentathletes than hairnets. What do hairnets have to do with riding?
    Hairnets have nothing to do with riding ability but the overall 'tidy' appearance of the rider. The riders with long hair flying out from under their helmets looked terrible. Did you perchance watch any of the dressage or even stadium? What little I did of both showed riders very neatly attired, including their hair. Those with longer hair often pulled it back into a lovely bun and used a net to hold it. The breeches, coats, boots etc on the riders looked quite lovely until you got to the rider's head and that ruined the overall appearance. Heck, even if the riders had done a french braid, that would have looked a whole lot better than just flying out under the helmet.

It's all about appearance but considering most of the female riders I saw shouldn't have been riding period, I guess it doesn't matter that they looked and rode like crap.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Well, they did just strap on a fencing face guard and then swim four lengths of a pool before running over for the draw. Not much time in there for doing up hunter hair.

FWIW, my thick hair won't stay up without strays short of lots of hairspray, and my hair better be fairly dry first.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    Well, they did just strap on a fencing face guard and then swim four lengths of a pool before running over for the draw. Not much time in there for doing up hunter hair.

FWIW, my thick hair won't stay up without strays short of lots of hairspray, and my hair better be fairly dry first.
    Come off it! It only takes a matter of a few seconds to pull a hair net on and bunch your hair up in it. Sorry but just plain sloppy IMHO! In the amount of time it takes to pull a boot on, a hair net can be donned.

My naturally curly hair is short, thick and frizzy and would stick out like weird wisps if I didn't use a net when I competed. I try to be proud of my appearance and maybe it's just an American custom but I doubt that.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I disagree. I've watched it a few times on different videos, and in all of them the Korean doesn't let up on the reins one bit. He's actually using them as a handlebar to keep himself in the saddle when the horse is acting up.

Granted, the horse was already keyed up upon entry onto the course due to the venue and the crowds, but he was getting totally conflicting signals. Not to mention when he goes up the last time, the weight of the Korean hauling on his mouth tips him over.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

It does seem strange that so many are so bad. I acknowledge that many probably are very good at shooting, running, swimming, and it probably would take more time and experience to get their equestrian skills up to a high level. The good ones, may come from a horsey-background and add the other skills, but I think those are the minority.

I watched the riding phase of the modern pentathalon in person at the 1984 LA Olympics. For the most part, the standard was much higher than demonstrated this time around. A trainer I knew "donated" the use of one of his high-level schoolies, and that horse gave both its riders - an American and a Swede - a good ride. I told the trainer at the time that he was sure putting some poor rider at risk: The horse was an Appy and they don't often tolerate poor handling. LOL

At L.A., I saw only one REALLY bad rider - and he got dumped. He was, IIRC, a Nigerian policeman - so he probably was a good shot/runner, but horses? not so much. On the other hand, while the horses are supposed to be of the same level of training/difficulty to ride, the guy who got dumped had a VERY difficult horse, and another Swede go the horse for the afternoon session and while that competitor was a good rider, even he had difficulty with the horse. I understand the horses for the 1968 Mexico Olympics were Mexican Army horses - probably a more "equal" field of mounts for the competitors.

I realize it's THE OLYMPICS....but for starters, I think they should lower the fences. The difference between 3'6" and 4' can be a big one for someone who is less than expert. I think a slightly lower course might give both horse/rider a better change to compete without harm to either.