The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Excellent article

on SA and why most aversives (citronella collars and shock collars) should be avoided. It also explains why and what meds might be helpful

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm...l.jsp?id=43492

I like it.

I do not use a shock or citronella collar on my own dog, but I do think they have a place in the hands of a competent trainer, under specific circumstances. I have seen them used with great success for teaching a reliable "come" on a dog that bolts off-leash.

It horrifies me that anyone would use any sort of aversion training to curb anxiety-related behavior like seperation anxiety.

That said, the article is probably quite helpful for some people. It has always strikes me how odd it is that the many pet owners are terrible at "reading" their dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    on SA and why most aversives (citronella collars and shock collars) should be avoided. It also explains why and what meds might be helpful

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm...l.jsp?id=43492
    The article is about avoiding aversives for anxiety driven behavior.

It does not say they should be avoided full stop in all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

SA=Seperation Anxiety.

If you know .anything. about Karen Overall, you know that she does not and will not use any e-collar or citronella collar.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    SA=Seperation Anxiety.

If you know .anything. about Karen Overall, you know that she does not and will not use any e-collar or citronella collar.
    Were you expecting me to read an article and glean information that it DOES NOT SAY based on randomly being expected to know ".anything." about [insert any dog trainer in the universe that somebody on COTH might be a fan of and might be posting an article link about]?

This comment does not say anything about whether or not I will eat sushi or my thoughts on green vs. ripe bananas. Whether you happen to independently know my thoughts on those issues or not, this comment does not go there.

let me try again.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    yes. SA=separation anxiety

it does not say that, but Karen Overall does not use them. She does not recommend them.

This article was linked to provide some more information on why and how meds should/could be used as well as why aversive collars (often recommended here) should not be used for anxiety based behavior.

I've never seen anyone, anywhere, recommend aversive collars for anxiety-related behavior. Even people who are fond of aversive collars don't recommend them for anxiety.
    OK, I take that back- some people misdiagnosis "leash reactivity" (which is an anxiety-related behavior) as something else- aggression, "dominance", and then go on to suggest an aversive collar like a prong collar for the problem. But that's not really suggesting the use of an aversive collar for anxiety- it's a misdiagnosis of an anxiety-related behavior leading to an incorrect solution.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I've never seen anyone, anywhere, recommend aversive collars for anxiety-related behavior. Even people who are fond of aversive collars don't recommend them for anxiety.
    OK, I take that back- some people misdiagnosis "leash reactivity" (which is an anxiety-related behavior) as something else- aggression, "dominance", and then go on to suggest an aversive collar like a prong collar for the problem. But that's not really suggesting the use of an aversive collar for anxiety- it's a misdiagnosis of an anxiety-related behavior leading to an incorrect solution.
    sometimes it is a misdiagnosis.

This was mainly to show how/why meds could and probably should be used in conjunction with behavior modification.

Many different tools have their place in the hands of a competent person. A one size fits all approach does not work out any better with dogs than with human beings. One needs to read and learn from a variety of sources, not just the ones that support your own opinion.