The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need instructor recommendation -- Northern Virginia

So I moved to the horse capital of the world, and now need some instructor recommendations. I'm looking for something fairly specific, and know that my requirements are not cheap.

I am looking for an FEI level instructor (I've ridden to 4th level and shown to 2nd with international instructors both dressage and eventing) with quality school horses (preferably an FEI schoolmaster, but I know they are hard to come by). I have a funky schedule, so some flexibility in lesson availability would be preferable. Leasing availability would be fabulous, but not a deal breaker.

I am an experienced rider, and take my sport seriously. I have good feel and can ride sensitive horses. Needs to be not more than 30 min from Fairfax, VA 22033.
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

What part of Fairfax? It's a big county
    http://chestnutoak.net/Lessons.html
    might be not to much longer from the Lorton area
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I actually live in Fairfax the city, not just Fairfax the county!

That looks like what I am hoping to find, will try to set up a lesson and see how we go! Thanks!

Upon further google-mapping, looks like it's close to 2 hours away. Might be too far for regular lessons.

I'd suggest you start looking here:

http://www.equinenow.com/lessons/fairfax-virginia.htm

and then broaden your search.

Frankly, 30 minutes from Fairfax doesn't give you a lot of options. Is that with or without traffic? Or just distance? If it's "how long it takes to get there" then your options are even more limited. 30 minutes can mean an hour in rush hour traffic and 45 minutes with "regular" traffic. Depends on the roads and time of day.

Most of us travel 45-60 mins and that doesn't include traffic.

Lauren Spieser is in Marshall
    Mary Flood is in Lovettsville

I don't think either of them have school horses, however.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Warrenton, has schoolmasters
    http://www.christinamorrisdressage.com/

Catlett
    http://www.halfpassfarmva.com/

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.

Thank you Mad Mare! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to ride with Lauren Sprieser, but no schoolmasters (or lessons horses of any kind). Once I have a horse of my own again (not until next year at the earliest), I will be jumping at the chance to lesson with her. Definitely going to book a lesson with both Christina Morris and Half Pass.

Anyone ever ridden with Ampara Visser in Falls Church?

Sally Spenard has moved to Clifton, VA, not far from Fairfax. I don't know if she gives lessons on her horses or not though. You could try.

Having a hard time finding contact info for Sallie Spenard...any tips on how to get in touch?

Thanks!

She is on Facebook. Has her mobile and email. It's an open page.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    Thank you Mad Mare! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to ride with Lauren Sprieser, but no schoolmasters (or lessons horses of any kind). Once I have a horse of my own again (not until next year at the earliest), I will be jumping at the chance to lesson with her. Definitely going to book a lesson with both Christina Morris and Half Pass.
    Consider Mary Flood if she has any schoolers. She's a very well-known trainer and a lovely person.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio

Beware Catlett.....

Quote Originally Posted by easykeeper View Post
    Beware Catlett.....
    Yes and Mary too. There is noone with school horses for dressage I would ride with in Nova. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    Anyone ever ridden with Ampara Visser in Falls Church?
    I can't speak to having taken a lesson with her myself, but she teaches at my barn and the people who DO lesson with her love her. I've met her once, watched her teach someone on a schoolmaster, and liked her. I wouldn't mind trying a lesson with her, but I'd really love to see how she works with a horse who is more green, which is why I've held off scheduling anything. She has a seemingly endless enthusiasm for teaching and appeared to have a good knowledge of biomechanics. Not sure what she has of her own for schoolhorses, though, but it wouldn't hurt to email her or call. She's really very nice and should be quite helpful.

Unfortunately, though, I kind of agree with the above that there aren't many people I'd be willing to ride with in NOVA, either. When I lived there, I had a terrible time finding someone and then eventually just moved back to Maryland. Then again, for as huge as dressage is in Maryland, there aren't a lot of instructors I'd necessarily want to take lessons with there, either.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I don't know if Sallie has school masters, but she is wonderful!
    Last edited by Essie; Aug. 14, 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy.pony View Post
    Yes and Mary too. There is noone with school horses for dressage I would ride with in Nova. Sorry.
    Why Mary?

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio

Huh? I cannot believe that there are not decent instructors in MD or VA.

Let's see just in MD alone: Hilltop, Hassler, Linda Zang...that's just the top of the list.

Do people just want to clinic with Steffen Peters?

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post

Let's see just in MD alone: Hilltop, Hassler, Linda Zang...that's just the top of the list.

I think the bigger problem is the OP's stipulation of 30 minutes from Fairfax. There's not that much close in; if they're willing to go 45 to an hour, and in to MD, there are a lot more choices, I think. I'd be curious where the Falls Church based person is stabled; I live in FC, and for the life of me can't think of anywhere they might be.

Question not an answer but, a question

What is happening at Potomac Horse Center? the last I heard there was an FEI level rider moving in; at one time there were genuine schoolmasters there. but, now?
    Last edited by Carol Ames; Aug. 14, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typos
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

A half hour from Fairfax is the problem

BEST instructor I have ever had is Lea Ann Hansen in Doswell but she's 45 min from here and as far as I know has no schoolmasters. If Sophie is reliably sound I hope to go back.

Barbara at Chestnut Oak is also in Doswell and has schoolmasters. Farther south Lani and Patrick T (gonna mangle the name) are also good.

I've met SP and he's very nice but I would be terrified to ride in front of him
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quite a few good instructors in VA. Lesson horses are very hard to come by. I don't think Steffen Has them either.