The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tactful way to educate or MYOB?

It drives me nuts when I see people walking their dog with a death grip on the choke chain while still getting their arm pulled out of the socket. The dog is attempting to gasp for air and the owner is attempting to stay on their feet. Is there a way to tactfully say they are not using the chain effectively and show them how to do it right? I know both the owner and the dog would be happier if it were used correctly and effectively but don't know how to achieve that without being rude or at the very least presumptuous. Or MYOB or more accurately MMOB?

If you vote to say something to the owner can you give me an idea of what to say exactly? Thanks!

I'm voting MYOB as hard as that is. Now if someone comments on how well your dog leads then you have the opening to educate away.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Do you know the owner? If so, you can ask them if they want your help.

If you don't know the owner, myob.

No, I don't know them. These are dogs that are lunging at me and my dog as we walk the trails. I haven't said anything up to this point but it eats at me all day when I pass them by. They don't seem like they are bad dogs, they just aren't being handled correctly. It would literally take seconds to fix at least temporarily.

Default Someone did this for us once

About 15 years ago a woman came up to my husband and me and our yellow lab. She complimented us on how handsome a dog he was, chatted a bit, then explained in a very nice way how we were using the choke collar wrong and how to use it correctly. She was obviously a very experienced dog person and we were grateful for her advice.

I think it all depends how you approach the situation. To be honest, if someone came up to me and told me I was walking my dog wrong, I would be irritated. However, as already mentioned IF in convorsation, you can bring up how you learned about dog walking and figuring out how to properly use the collar.

But, either way, MYOB or chat, be prepared for either a good convorsation or some attitude!

Frusterating I know!

A tactful method might be to just say "hey my dog used to pull my arm out while we walked but I learned a cool trick, do you want me to show you?" Be as if you genuinely want to help them, say something nice about the dog, and be on their level (hence the "my dog did that too" whether the dog did or not..) I've had good luck with prefacing with "do you mind if I notice something?" and then let 'er rip!

I have done both - MYOB and had a wee chat. Both have worked - and I have been surprised once when I was walking my nicely behaved (for once) labs and 1 BC when I was told that I was "lucky" to have such well behaved dogs. When I stopped laughing hysterically, I explained that it was a lot of training with quite a few failures until i clicked.

As she was a horse person, i repeated my mantra "half halt release, half halt, release, half halt, release, full HALT, walk backwards, half halt, release..."

And that is what I train in the beginners' obedience class that I run at our dog club. A lot of people forget the "release" l
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

I don't know but I wish there was a way to magically make all the retractable leashes on the planet disappear.

I don't mind retractable leashes anywhere near as much as a misused choke chain. Maybe because I think a choke chain is an insanely effective tool when used properly and a retractable leash is an accident waiting to happen. The dog in question today was not only being strangled but the choke chain was at least six if not 8 inches too long. It would have been impossible to use it correctly as it would have fallen off.

I've found that some people are super open and willing (often grateful) for the advice but there are some (like a very good friend of mine, with a horribly behaved dog) who will give you excuse after excuse about why what your suggesting won't work and proceed to give the most ridiculous reasons ("it may hurt poopsie's feelings") for not doing it.
    But then these are the same people say how great it would be if their dog was so well behaved...umm that's called TRAINING. Blood, sweat and tears went into that very well behaved dog, and I work on that "well behaved" dog every single day.

I'd say it's worth a try! If it helps them out, you've done a good thing. If they aren't open to the advice, at least you tried

I've been around dogs for years but I'm always grateful when people more knowledgeable than me, share their training tricks and aids.

hmm, some of the worst leash pullers I have ever seen were at an obedience trial...the dog can complete a test with no flaws but pulls like a freight train on leash, really?!

I suppose you can test the waters if the dog owners are open to suggestions.

I certainly suggested fido shock e-fence to my neighbors as their dogs kept getting out of the yard and accumulating a pack of other dogs in the process (the cat not doing so well thread) I have not seen the dogs today at all...I suppose the cop pulling in the driveway sped things up a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

It is so hard to say.
    They might think you are being "cruel" to their dog by using it correctly (instead of letting dog choke himself continuously).

I sit at the urban lakeside & see so many dogs go by. In an hour I might see ONE person who I would consider to be walking dog correctly, dog is happy, person is happy.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    A tactful method might be to just say "hey my dog used to pull my arm out while we walked but I learned a cool trick, do you want me to show you?" Be as if you genuinely want to help them, say something nice about the dog, and be on their level (hence the "my dog did that too" whether the dog did or not..) I've had good luck with prefacing with "do you mind if I notice something?" and then let 'er rip!
    I agree with this. Some combination of telling them how beautiful and smart their dog is and saying, "Wow, that's some strong, enthusiasitc, dog! Not everyone could handle a dog like that". Then, "I used to have a dog who did that, after struggling with it for a while, a trainer helped me by showing me how to to this...". Praise the dog, praise them, let them know that you aren't perfect either and needed help (even if none of that is true )...most even reasonably emotionally stable people wouldn't get defensive with that approach, if they do, they likely can't be helped, by you or anyone else.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will weigh each situation individually.

I can't even get my husband to walk our well behaved dog properly. No, she doesn't pull with him, but it drives me crazy that he lets her way out in front zig zagging across the sidewalk. He thinks I'm a tyrant for making her heel on leash and that walking is supposed to be "fun", not an exercise.
    I figure if I can't change his ways, I likely won't be changing anyone elses. Thank god I've convinced him that retractable leashes are not allowed in our house!

The only dog I encountered today on our hike was a loose dog who was about 30-40 feet in front of the pack of humans supposedly accompanying her. I put my dog between my legs and pushed her away with my foot every time she came near. I wish she had been on a choke chain, properly used or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    The only dog I encountered today on our hike was a loose dog who was about 30-40 feet in front of the pack of humans supposedly accompanying her. I put my dog between my legs and pushed her away with my foot every time she came near. I wish she had been on a choke chain, properly used or not.
    This drives me NUTS!

It's especially charming if the person is shouting, "he's friendly!" as their dog charges me. What makes them think MY dog is friendly?

Nevermind the folks who actually have aggressive dogs they can't "read". I actually had to kick someone's Malamute pretty hard a few weeks ago when it came around a corner in the trail before the owner, and went after my dog! And then when the owner came around the corner, she GIGGLED and assured me her dog "just wanted to play."

No, woman. His hackles are up, he's aggressively posturing, and he's growling. Playing is fairly low on his priority list right now.