The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CL: Wanted "volunteer" stall cleaner/barn worker

Way to skirt liability insurance, Batman.

In need of full or part time (Monday through Friday) stall cleaner for my private 10 stall barn. Duties include cleaning stalls, watering, turning out horses as well as other assigned tasks. This position is year round, chores to be done in the morning about 9am preferably, approximately 2 hours per day. The right person for the job will be a self-starter, independent worker, honest, extremely reliable, non-smoker and have horse experience.

This position is a volunteer position and/or trade for horse board or decreased horse board. Would like the perfect person to start the end of August, beginning of September.

Position could work into future paid jobs as well.

Email qualifications. Interviews to take place as soon as possible.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Way to avoid paying taxes as well.

IME, BM jobs that include a "free stall" had board reported as taxable income.

In my fair state (Oregon), this wouldn't fly. Apparently the Department of Labor here figured out a few years ago that horse barns were pulling the old "independent contractor" thing when their employees would not meet that definition, no way, no how. A couple barns were made examples of. Then word circulated among BOs via their tax accountants. Now one can find all manner of co-op barns. And they work, too.

Unless this CL-er is more sophisticated than most BOs, she's breaking the law with this "job" and form of compensation.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Good luck with that! I could maybe see someone doing it in exchange for board, but just for sh!ts and giggles as a volunteer?!

Full-time bargain hunter.

I wouldn't do it as a volunteer position, but I'd do it for horse board, because it's exactly what I do now, although just stalls, cleaning & filling buckets, and sweeping the aisle. I occasionally do turn out/turn in and evening feeding time as well as house-sit for the BO.

Emily

Tax nightmare.
    Not to mention you cheat yourself out of Social Security contributions and such things...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Tax nightmare.
    Not to mention you cheat yourself out of Social Security contributions and such things...
    U dont really think SS is gonna be around when the worker is ready for them? SS workers that Ive had to deal with are worse than state road crews. Sorry if u are one.

Co-op barns are ok mvp?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    U dont really think SS is gonna be around when the worker is ready for them? SS workers that Ive had to deal with are worse than state road crews. Sorry if u are one.

Co-op barns are ok mvp?
    Well, it worked for a long time and if the politicians left it alone it would work in the future as well. A heck of a lot better than 'private' retirement ventures...thanks to the same politicians and their cronies who are dipping in Social Security funds...

But the point is, you don't pay in by working under the table, you screw yourself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

In your dreams, CL poster.

**headdesk**

Amazing. Just goes to show, again, how some people want good horse care but refuse to pay for it. BO may just get some horse hungry kid to help out, but they certainly wont' meet all the qualifications, and once they do get some experience under their belt, they'll realize there's plenty of farms willing to pay for reliable, knowledgeable help.

Talk about brass balls.

Not at all shocked.

When I was looking to volunteer for a barn worker position, my ad clearly stated I was looking to clean stalls and do general barn chores for a few hours a week. Just for funsies. (This was in between realising I couldn't live without horses and realising I couldn't live without riding horses. )

All the responses I got were in the vein of colt-breaking, full-time BM work, or teaching lessons, none of which I indicated I was willing to do. And none of which were willing to pay.

I ended up free-leasing a very nice horse and doing barn chores because I like to and the BO was a nice lady and became my friend.

2hr/day = 14hr/week. That does fall into part-time employment territory. If they have a 501(c)3, they can rack up volunteers. If someone just randomly says, "Oh hey yeah, I wanna clean stalls for fun," then great. Otherwise, there may be a problem.

There was a CL ad in Orlando recently (I just tried to find it but couldn't) and they were toting mucking stalls as a great way to excercise.....and you had to pay them to come do so!
    Seriously!
    If it pops up again, I will post it!

Gee...I'll take a cup of whatever the OP is drinking!!! Free help???? You can hardly find HIRED help these days!! At least they don't want the volunteer to clean the house and do laundry, too!! Good luck. You can send the overflow to me.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

U dont really think SS is gonna be around when the worker is ready for them?
    Actually SS does NOT just pay for retirement. It also pays if you are disabled and provides a benefit if there are minor dependent children. I have an ex-husband who is on SSDI thanks to his diabetes related blindness. He has a ways to go before he reaches retirement age. I had a BIL on SSDI when he could not walk and it paid a benefit to his dependent children as well. I have a trainer who works for me that gets a benefit from her deceased former husband's account for their minor son.

I agree that it is very important to get your requisite number of quarters into the system so there is a benefit. Working under the table is not a smart thing to do.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    if the politicians left it alone it would work in the future as well
    Homeless people could live in that If its so big.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Homeless people could live in that If its so big.
    they probably didn't contribute..you get out what you put in, that's why working under the table only screws yourself up...

(they probably get SSDI though but it's not much, hardly enough to not starve to death)

I guess they can sign up the same person who responded to the ads looking for someone who would like to ride, for free, her green horses that needed miles. Oy...

Co-op barns are ok mvp?
    As far as I can tell, yes.

Here, you rent a stall and boarders provide the labor... like a whacky hobby. The barns I have seen are the size of regular boarding facilities that would otherwise need some people working full time. That person really won't pass the IRS' test for independent contractor. I think the owners do the big farm maintenance though some have "work days," too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat