The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking to Rio

Has anyone heard anymore on this topic ? From an article about preparations for Rio...

" Beyond the controversies, other Olympic projects have been plagued by technical mistakes.

"The preparations have barely begun and already we've seen pop up surreal examples of problems which clearly could have been avoided," read a recent article in the Veja newsweekly magazine. A drawing on the front page featured a Brazilian athlete bearing the Olympic torch so high the flames licked away at the games' five-ringed flag overhead.

The site of the equestrian events, a military zone in the north of the city, is thought to be dotted with explosives left over from trainings and will require a three-to-six month sweep to remove the forgotten ordnance."

Quote Originally Posted by overhorsed View Post
    Has anyone heard anymore on this topic ? From an article about preparations for Rio...

" Beyond the controversies, other Olympic projects have been plagued by technical mistakes.

"The preparations have barely begun and already we've seen pop up surreal examples of problems which clearly could have been avoided," read a recent article in the Veja newsweekly magazine. A drawing on the front page featured a Brazilian athlete bearing the Olympic torch so high the flames licked away at the games' five-ringed flag overhead.

The site of the equestrian events, a military zone in the north of the city, is thought to be dotted with explosives left over from trainings and will require a three-to-six month sweep to remove the forgotten ordnance."
    Wow, this makes Rio sound good! Not. They should've been started preparing for the games before London, should've they? It takes years to prepare for the Olympics.

What's up with the site for the Equestrian events? Thought to be dotted with explosives? Sounds like a place I'd want to take my horse too! I hope they go over the area with a find tooth comb, no one needs their horses blown up!!!

Edit to say: I googled The National Equestrian Center and at least two different articles say that the Pan Am Games Equestrian Events were held at the center in 2007. Why are they saying that there night be explosives?