The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Random Observation

As I sit watching the basketball final, on the final day of the Olympics, it occurs to me that 'back in the day,' it was traditional to contest the individual show jumping on the final day of the Olympics (and the marathon, which is still occurring on the last day as in the past).

Show jumping to basketball...sign of the times, to me.

Ah, and trivia, the marathon distance of 26.2 miles was actually established at that first London Olympics, adjusted so that the finish would be in front of the royals.

Learn something new every day. thanks
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

DH and I were discussing this today. I think the last time SJ individual final was held was either 1972 Munich or 1976 Montreal. 1984 LA was held at the race track - IIRC Santa Anita.
    Don't know how Moscow 1980 handled it. But since 1984 the equestrian events have been held offsite. Not to mention with the advent of improved track surfaces and equipment 'they' probably don't want horses on those surfaces.

Do wish the marathon was the last event. Always so dramatic.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I thought they gave out the medals for the Show Jumping at the closing ceremonies in LA in 1984. But I could be mistaken.

Until the Los Angeles Games with the first of the uber elaborate closing cermonies requiring elaborate preperation, sets (remember the blue pianos?) and the whole floor of the arena...

Showjumping was held in the main arena on that last day and as it ran, the Mens Marathon started. It was timed to wrap before the first runner entered the main staduim to circle in triumph and they did whatever setting up was needed as the remaining Marathon field ran in.

SJ medals were presented in that arena in '84 and IIRC, they had some horses there led out for it but can't recall if they were "subs".

Kind of miss the SJ showcase but they are better off at their own venue. But the Marathon should go back to being part of the closing ceremonies-it is the purest form of Olympics still out there, IMO, but I suppose it lacks the commercial value of stand alone ceremonies with big name entertainers. Or a recap of Mens Basketball...

But, Hey, I really did like the closing ceremonies last night-stayed up until 1 am to see The Who. Good job London.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Findlight
    SJ was held at Santa Anita. But I "believe" they held the medal ceremony at the Colisium with "stand-in" (possibly police horses) just before the end of the marathon.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim