The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stalling a Horse At Night

Just wondering what your opinions are on this.

I've never done this but my barn does on nights when it gets cold and nasty. Otherwise, they leave the horses out as much as possible, although the paddocks don't have shelter.

Is this unhealthy? I've heard about potential colic issues from stalling a horse but maybe that's just when you do it for most of the day and night.

I've never heard about potential colic issues because a horse is stalled... whether its all day, all night or 24/7. I don't see a problem at all with a horse being stalled at night.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Of course being out 24/7 is ideal but most horses do just fine if they need to stay in during inclement weather. I personally like to blanket and kick them out (they have a huge run in) but i stall when need be. Some horses are stalled pretty much all day...
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I stall my horses at night (I have 2 at home) from roughly late September to April. I have a 12 foot overhang attached to my barn, with Dutch doors that open to it, and a sacrifice paddock beyond that, with pasture a gate away. They haven't had any issues with being confined, out of the wind and rain (never ending, cold, nasty, spitting rain). We have very strong winds where I am located, and the boys get cold, even in blankets. They seem quite happy indoors, with no ill health effects from stalling. I know my elderly boy gets all his food, and a chance to lie down in dry bedding.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I've done this for almost 40 years. My pasture is small. Only four acres. So my horses get fed before going out in the A.M. and come in for P.M. feeding and stay in all night. This keeps my pasture from being overgrazed and the horses still get plenty of free time to just do horsie things.

I had horses at the track for 20 years that were stabled about 23/7. Never once had a colic.

Any time you stall a horse "long term", whether that's all night or all day on a regular basis, or especially all the time, you DO increase, however slightly, the risk of colic. Horses' guts are designed to work the best when the horse is nearly constantly moving.

Suddenly stalling a horse who is used to being out, even if it's just 1 night due to nasty weather or whatever, can increase the risk if he's a worrier and doesn't like change or just has a real aversion to being stalled.

That said, thousands and thousands of horses are stalled "long term" and never colic. Many many horses are on that 12/12 schedule, in stalls at night during the Winter and in during the day in Sumer, or just in at night, period.

Is it healthier for them to be out all the time? For the most part, yes, but it can be unhealthy for a given individual horse depending on his particular issues.

There are SO MANY horses stalled at night their entire life, in most (not so hot) countries it's the going norm, these people are suprised a horse would be left 'out' at night.

I would think you have little to worry about, ensure horse has adequate amounts of hay & water.

Risk of colic in super cold weather left out without shelter is no less of a risk then stalling the horse at night imo.

ETA, of course has the horse ever been stalled and if so what was his/her reaction? For some horses that have never gotten used to a stall environment it could be stressful.