The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fly Predator question

I have used Arabico fly predators for this fly season and have seen an improvement. I don't even remember why I selected that particular brand/retailer but I have been happy with their service.

Smartpak sells the Spalding predators and I believe it is there that I read something about how they used three different types of fly predators in their program as opposed to others brands which used just one.

Any one have any opinions on whether on brand is more effective than another? I am just thinking ahead to next summer; do I stick with what I currently have or try one of the others?

I am on my third year with Arbico. I have hardly any flies and have been completely happy with their service.

I'm on my second year with Arbico, and the one thing that has changed this year is that they are taking my monthly payment 10 days before shipping. I've contacted them, and get a line about how they want to be sure the payment goes through before they ship - which is not setting right with me as it's an automatic withdrawal. I was wondering what the difference was between them and Spaulding...they do have the 3 free boosters and give a discount when you commit to a season (their spring special) - does Spaulding do that? And what is SmartPak's price?

Okay, It was actually one of the horse magazines in which I was reading about Spalding Fly Predators. Their add says their predators are "a mix of up to three species. None of them are Nasonia, which is the main single species offered by some competitors." The further advertise "Others emphasize 'low price", yet read the fine print in their ads. Your real cost is largely determined by how many shipments you need over a season..... they'll say you need more shipments for many locations than we find necessary. Cheaper shipments are no bargain when the cost over the year is more."

1 to 5 horses with Spalding is $18.95 (5,000 bugs) per month. They say you can schedule a pay as you go shipment schedule.

SmartPak also has 5000 bugs per month for $18.95. I assume you just get on their shipping schedule.

2-5 horses with Arbico is $175 for the regular (12 shipments) and $239 for the premium (16 shipments). I don't see where they say how many predators are in a unit but it does say they are "90% Nasonia." Arbico also offers discounts for signing up early which is what I had planned on doing again if I go with Arbico.

I am on my second year and really notice a difference. I forget how bad flies are here in Virginia till I go to another barn. Just picked up a new pony for my daughter and he is temporarily staying at my sister-in-law's. When we go to take care of him I am constantly smacking and spraying. It's a good reminder why I use this product. Their service is awesome and the product works!!

Actually I am paying $16.95ish per month for Arbico, including shipping, and only from May - October (in MI). Last year I stopped in September because we started with cold nights and they say if it gets below 40 degrees, don't spread them. Plus the 3 free "booster packs". Does Spalding do the booster pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie & Starlette View Post
    Actually I am paying $16.95ish per month for Arbico, including shipping, and only from May - October (in MI). Last year I stopped in September because we started with cold nights and they say if it gets below 40 degrees, don't spread them. Plus the 3 free "booster packs". Does Spalding do the booster pack?
    The add was in Equus Magazine but I did not see anything about boosters. I just got another Arbico shipment today and I am paying $16ish also that includes some boosters.

It seems like those of us with Arbico are happy. Is anyone out there using Spalding or the SmartPak Predators?

QH4Me...do they run your payment 10 days in advance or did you pay all up front?

I have used both Arbico and Spalding. For some reason Arbico works much better, maybe because of the type of predator. Located in MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie & Starlette View Post
    QH4Me...do they run your payment 10 days in advance or did you pay all up front?
    I paid up front early in the season to take advantage of a special with a bunch of boosters.

They do give you the boosters either way...monthly payments or all up front in the spring...and keep to the discounted price, too. Just FYI Dressuririder, that is interesting...I know someone who uses Spaulding and had more of a fly issue than I did this year.

We've used Spalding for three + years. Really impressed with how useful they are (I was initially skeptical). We haven't used any other company as Spalding is local to us.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

We switched from Spalding to Kunafin. Half the price. They have a mix of fly parasites, much more than 3. They tailor the species mix to your area.
    Also, use fly traps like starbar's captivator. Does a great of job of reducing the adult fly population.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I've used Spalding for about 4 summers now and Im satisfied. They do give you a bonus shipment in July (10,000) and I think this year I got 2 bonus shipments for some reason. Also, last year I got a shipment that never hatched, and when I contacted them, they sent me an double shipment out right away.

We have been using Spaulding as well for three years. You do get one or two bonus shipments. The customer service is wonderful. If there is a problem, they fix it promptly.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

15-year Spalding user here. I order more than I supposedly need, and they give me 2 bonus-double deliveries per season. My vet and farrier tell me we have VANISHINGLY fewer flies here than most barns. I'd rather spend it on the preds. than pesticides!

I have used Spalding predators for about 7 years. I always order mine at the beginning of the year so I can take advantage of the bonus shipments. I have received other bonus "gifts" in the past like utility type knives. Last year on a thread about fly preds the owner of Spalding commented and actually sent me an extra bonus shipment for my positive comment. So I will have to give Spalding the thumbs up for excellant customer service. In the past, I have had my vet comment on the surprisingly few flies at the farm where I was boarding.

Another huge thumbs up for Spalding!

Great customer service. My husband had some questions about controlling other types of flies, called them and they did not try to sell him something that would not help the problem. To me that is the sign of a great company.

We get a couple of bonus packs at appropriate times.

Another satisfied Spalding user. This is only my second year, and I've been very pleased.

Each year the flies seem to diminish more. I have practically none right now.

I generally renew early, and they always send 2 bonus packs a year to me.

As another poster stated, I forget how many flies there are normally until I go to someone's barn who doesn't use the predators. Yowza!
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Does anyone have a problem with the ants eating the predators's before they hatch? I live in a area with fire ants and every batch I have put down when I go back to check are over run with fire ants.