The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Finger Lakes Cutie - Redhead with lots of chrome

Take a look at this cute fellow. I'm not really into redheads but... Take a look at the "paint splatters" of white on his right side barrel. Somebody enlighten me? I don't think I have ever seen a TB with body chrome like that.

http://fingerlakestracklist.proboard...lay&thread=584
    Fox Wood Farm

Now why did you have to go and post this?! I want him!!!! He has the cutest ears.
    ~Isabel

Proud owner for Infinity Sport Horse
    Facebook :: Website

Not the only boy with chrome---

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings

:-)
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

How cool is that? I pulled up both pedigrees just hoping to see some sort of common lines that might explain the chrome. No such luck. At least not to my untrained eyes. Both horses have Northern Dancer, at 4 or 5 generations back. So do lots of other TBs!

Like I said, I'm not much into redheads and have never liked paints, but I am a genetics nerd!

Maybe Viney or somebody else off the breeding or racing pages will see this and comment??
    Fox Wood Farm

I guess the chrome adds an extra $2,000 to his price tag!

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I guess the chrome adds an extra $2,000 to his price tag!
    The idea of pricing an attractive horse higher is not a concept novel to the world of OTTBs.

He's a cutie!! Love his look...looks a bit like my redhead. Poor guy looks like he needs some good let down time!! Please go snatch him up

I really like the first horse! Good job he's lots of miles away.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Based on his coloring, it looks to me like he might have some sabino in there somewhere...but I am in no way an equine geneticist, just taking a guess! He's lovely! I also like Chase the Blaze quite a bit - I'm bummed (or grateful?) neither of them are closer.

gl.ad i don't have an open stall, i love the first one. i am a sucker for a flashy chestnut!
    maybe if i sell one
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

I really like the first. A LOT. Too bad I am not in a position to get a second horse.

I have had and in some instances kept red w/ chrome and body splashes..the body splashes are seen more and more..

I really like this horse who bears a very stricking resemblance to DreamStreet over @ Mountaineer CANTER (sold).

But for a re-seller the price tag is to far off base.

And in some respects you can buy a horse already let down re-started you can sit on flat n jump for a few $$$ more or pretty close to and get a good sense of what the horses soundness is like after all the "trackiness" is gone.

I think having bought these guys for close to 30 years now, that w/ T.I.P. and the all TB classes and success of OTTB shows trainers want a bigger piece of the action. They think we re-sellers get a HUGE upcharge on the horses.
    The big failure is they do not take into account the risk we take the horse will not work out or have the mind gait jump. The time we gamble to let down and put the education on or even will horses pass the rather intense extensive expensive PPE's buyers demand today. X-raying everthing from feet up all round to back and neck ultra-sounds, scopes, blood/tox screens and some even a farrier in-put.
    Most not all Trainers on the track just don't have the time or patience for this invasion of their shed-row.
    This horse was claimed for $4k in 2010 and to ask close to that price now, well some could potentially claim him right out of a race because he is asking close to that price now.
    The economey has not recovered enough to keep pushing the prices so far up. Some certainly can or will I guess they do not want to see him leave racing bad enough yet to drop the price. Or want to discourage all but the brave enough to ask if they will take less for cash n carry.
    I love CANTER because usually you can get SO much more for your $$$ and it makes taking the risk attractive...

I think he is gorgeous!! People dont realize what they get in an OTTB... yes $4,000 is a lot and i couldnt afford it but theyre worth it. In my opinion theyre not just the typical back yard horse, they have the biggest hearts and make excellent riding horses. Warmbloods are the new "hit"... i wouldnt switch her for anything!! These horses are such amazing horses. Its not meat price, its show price... they dont take thatttt long to train, theyre smart too. I wish i had the 4k to get him..
    Nothing better than an OTTB.... Just Plan Partners,Penny, you have stolen my heart<3

http://secondchancethoroughbreds.org

I have an ottb that has almost identical markings, except he has white on all 4 legs / over the knees. He is also a Storm Cat g-grandson. I blame Storm Cat for the chrome