The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oat hay and TB's....

Anyone have any experience with oat hay? I can get an oat hay/rye grass mix, but haven't used oat hay before. Input?

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDevo View Post
    Anyone have any experience with oat hay? I can get an oat hay/rye grass mix, but haven't used oat hay before. Input?
    As long as the oats are not too mature...still green and soft, then it makes excellent hay. I have fed a lot of oat hay over the years. It is messier than some hay, grain hays are, and mice like it. My horses ate it great, more chew time and liked it. Not for insulin resistant horses per se, and if your horse is a hard keeper, you may have to supplement for protein. I would have it tested and then you would know exactly what you are buying.

Frequent user of oat hay. Love it. Big but soft stem that provides chew time and even the older horses can chew. Can be higher in NSC. I never use as more than 1/2 and actually more around 1/3 the hay ration. But in general I give it a thumbs up.

I have my 6 yr old TB on an oat/wheat/rye mix, and I LOVE it. It's helped put those last few pounds on him, and he's a picky eater to boot. I'll definitely be buying more.

Mine don't like it. I wanted to buy some for my little piggie Thoroughbred because the last time I bought the oat hay it was so stemmy that I figured it would be a good snack to have around to keep her busy with something to pick at between meals. Plus it was really inexpensive. Unfortunately, it wasn't available at the feed store.