The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 342
  1. #281
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    9,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadytrake View Post
    She has a nice natural seat. Oh to be that lucky.
    (1) She does not have a nice natural seat.

    (2) She is not lucky.

    Melanie struggles with her riding. She's really had a hard time with her leg and trying to get comfortable on the horse.

    She also has had fear issues and more than a few bad experiences. Some injuries, too.

    There is no luck involved. There's been a lot of hard work, a lot of anxiety, a steep learning curve to catch up to her fellow competitors who've spent a lifetime in the saddle.

    What you saw yesterday is the result of someone who was willing to work hard, learn from good coaches, and keep a positive attitude even when it wasn't going well.



  2. #282
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2001
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    4,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    IS HE REALLY?!?!
    I am sooo sorry I posted this vxf111- I really hate that you had to read a duplicate post. Next time I'll be sure to read through all 14+ pages of a thread before I post. I really apologize. Sorry I wasted your time.



  3. #283
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
    I am sooo sorry I posted this vxf111- I really hate that you had to read a duplicate post. Next time I'll be sure to read through all 14+ pages of a thread before I post. I really apologize. Sorry I wasted your time.
    That wasn't at ALL why I posted. I was shocked he was the coach because (1) I discussed PC tetrathalon with him once and he didn't mention it; (2) he's localish and I could have hooked him up with my interested friend who wanted to try MP only I didn't realize so didn't know to do that. My post was one of surprise to learn the fact you posted, not anything to do with a double post.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  4. #284
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    9,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    The other American girl, Margaux, grew up riding horses but didn't jump until she started doing Pentathlon. She wasn't horrific, but there definitely were some scary jumps and she was the "fastest time of the day." Not something to be proud of, IMO. Sad part is, if she had slowed down, she might have spared a few rails and would have earned a better starting position in the run/shoot -- and probably would have finished at least 3rd, instead of 4th.
    She rode the horse exactly how I would have ridden this horse.

    If you saw the horse in his first round, you would have seen that he's not entirely honest and he tries to take over. The problem with that is that when he tries to dictate pace and stride, he can get to the fence perfectly and then stop, as he did with his first rider. So the American went in there and rode him with more pace so that he wouldn't be able to throw in a stop.

    It's no fun to ride that way but this is what the horse required.



  5. #285
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2001
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    4,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    That wasn't at ALL why I posted. I was shocked he was the coach because (1) I discussed PC tetrathalon with him once and he didn't mention it; (2) he's localish and I could have hooked him up with my interested friend who wanted to try MP only I didn't realize so didn't know to do that. My post was one of surprise to learn the fact you posted, not anything to do with a double post.
    My bad then!



  6. #286
    Join Date
    Nov. 16, 2006
    Location
    South of Nowhere
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Just whatched it and have some observations:

    The Douce De Roulan horse the mexican rode was a saint. So careful not to step on her coming out of the combination when she's wrapped around his neck. He went great with 2nd french rider.

    The Bsomething Ursa Major horse was awesom. He deserves 10 gold medals for putting up with that French girl. I think he should get his own gold post box directly in front of Buckingham Palace!

    Like the All Rise horse who went in an eggbutt snaffle. He found his own way around the course. He even jumped over the ingate since the rider cantered him right up to it!''

    My favority was Mr. Spotty horse with the roached mane. He was on that said, shut up, don't pull on me, i'll take care of you. However, i do think it should be against the rules to allow roached manes. Those poor riders need any help they can get!



  7. #287
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 2003
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    She rode the horse exactly how I would have ridden this horse.

    If you saw the horse in his first round, you would have seen that he's not entirely honest and he tries to take over. The problem with that is that when he tries to dictate pace and stride, he can get to the fence perfectly and then stop, as he did with his first rider. So the American went in there and rode him with more pace so that he wouldn't be able to throw in a stop.

    It's no fun to ride that way but this is what the horse required.
    Yes, I agree that the horse needed a forward ride. But she was FLYING around that course, leaving strides out and quite honestly scaring me through the first combination. There's forward, and there's out of control. Her ride bordered on that. [Actually, given the standard of control in that arena, she was relatively sane. ] However, there's no excuse for cutting the corners and allowing the horse to fall in on its shoulder on the turns. Given her speed, she could have used more of the arena to set him up and still made the time.

    Side note: I also want to shorten almost everyone's stirrups and duct tape everyone's feet in the correct position in the irons. Heels DOWN, people! It'll help you stay on!
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk



  8. #288
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbhorse View Post
    My favority was Mr. Spotty horse with the roached mane. He was on that said, shut up, don't pull on me, i'll take care of you. However, i do think it should be against the rules to allow roached manes. Those poor riders need any help they can get!
    Named SPIKE.


    Didn't they all change leads well ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._



  9. #289
    Join Date
    May. 31, 2004
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    396

    Default So imagine if you DID want to compete in the MP....

    After reading these posts it would seem the equestrian phase is the primary downfall of many of the MP competitors, including the US Olympic team members.I'm curious as to why more of our competitive H/J riders don't try out for the team.

    My 21 yr old daughter has competed in Level III jumpers, schooled 4ft+, rides FEI dressage, regularly tunes up quirky or young horses for clients, used to swim competitively and has run a couple of half marathons. She's also a pretty decent shot with a Glock 17, although needing additional practice/instruction to be competitive. Fencing she'd have to learn from the ground up.

    She's casually kicking around the possibility of actually trying to become a Pentathlete if they don't cancel it for the 2016 Games, but the website only lists national competitions and Olympic team development camps in Colorado.

    Are there lower level competitions regionally? Surely there has to be a winnowing system to end up with a team good enough to go to the Olympics, but there's precious little on the internet about how the process works.

    Has anyone on the COTH ever competed in the MP who can enlighten us? (Emailed the director listed on the official site but doubt they'll be back in the office right away)

    Any insight, advice on how to pursue this goal, or whether this is outright madness would be greatly appreciated.



  10. #290
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,470

    Default

    Contact JER - poster several above yours.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._



  11. #291
    Join Date
    May. 31, 2004
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Thanks Equibrit, just sent JER a PM.



  12. #292
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 1999
    Posts
    3,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MediaMD View Post

    Are there lower level competitions regionally? Surely there has to be a winnowing system to end up with a team good enough to go to the Olympics, but there's precious little on the internet about how the process works.

    Has anyone on the COTH ever competed in the MP who can enlighten us? (Emailed the director listed on the official site but doubt they'll be back in the office right away)

    Any insight, advice on how to pursue this goal, or whether this is outright madness would be greatly appreciated.

    I thought the same thing. I do the jumpers and also triathlons, plus know how to shoot from my dad who does it competitively. Don't know anything about fencing. I tried to look up info on MP too... there sure isn't much info out there to be found. You'd think they'd want to make it a little easier to find good talent and get more public involvment/awareness if it's going to be an Olympic sport.



  13. #293
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2002
    Posts
    1,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    (1) She does not have a nice natural seat.

    (2) She is not lucky.

    Melanie struggles with her riding. She's really had a hard time with her leg and trying to get comfortable on the horse.

    She also has had fear issues and more than a few bad experiences. Some injuries, too.

    There is no luck involved. There's been a lot of hard work, a lot of anxiety, a steep learning curve to catch up to her fellow competitors who've spent a lifetime in the saddle.

    What you saw yesterday is the result of someone who was willing to work hard, learn from good coaches, and keep a positive attitude even when it wasn't going well.
    Oh for crying out loud, it was a compliment. I started as an adult too and do not have a natural seat. For her to get this far in a short time period shows that she does have talent (e.g. A natural seat). I didn't say she didn't work hard.

    Please stop trying to imply that I meant something else.

    I'll talk with y'all the next Olympics. I'm going riding to get ready for my next show.
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!



  14. #294
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2006
    Location
    Northeast, MD
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MediaMD View Post
    After reading these posts it would seem the equestrian phase is the primary downfall of many of the MP competitors, including the US Olympic team members.I'm curious as to why more of our competitive H/J riders don't try out for the team.

    My 21 yr old daughter has competed in Level III jumpers, schooled 4ft+, rides FEI dressage, regularly tunes up quirky or young horses for clients, used to swim competitively and has run a couple of half marathons. She's also a pretty decent shot with a Glock 17, although needing additional practice/instruction to be competitive. Fencing she'd have to learn from the ground up.

    She's casually kicking around the possibility of actually trying to become a Pentathlete if they don't cancel it for the 2016 Games, but the website only lists national competitions and Olympic team development camps in Colorado.

    Are there lower level competitions regionally? Surely there has to be a winnowing system to end up with a team good enough to go to the Olympics, but there's precious little on the internet about how the process works.

    Has anyone on the COTH ever competed in the MP who can enlighten us? (Emailed the director listed on the official site but doubt they'll be back in the office right away)

    Any insight, advice on how to pursue this goal, or whether this is outright madness would be greatly appreciated.
    The Tri-State Region Pony Club holds a Modern Pentathlon along with a Tetrathlon Rally. I believe the MP is open to PCer's and non-PCer's.



  15. #295
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    9,988

    Default

    If you're interested in getting started in pentathlon, send me a PM and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

    I have several PMs already on the topic and I will get to them as soon as the barn is clean.

    I really, really, really want to let everyone know that pentathlon is a sport for all ages. Masters competition is 30+, I think the youngest age group is U12. No riding required until you reach the Junior age of 18, but even then, you can compete in pentathlon and opt not to ride until you feel ready.

    Pentathlon is so much fun. There aren't many competitions, although most people compete in 'straight' fencing, shooting, riding, running and swimming when not pentathling. National championships in the US and Canada are open to all. The US hosts training camps, usually aimed at the younger set, but anyone can go and learn.

    Also, the Guardian has a UK-centric article today: How to get involved in modern pentathlon.



  16. #296
    Join Date
    May. 31, 2004
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Thanks Mosmom--will check into that option.

    JER, Thank you--PM sent.

    Who knows? Maybe we can get a whole pack of COTH members to swarm the Pentathlon ranks and kick butt in Brazil in 2016...;-)



  17. #297

    Default

    The World Cup Modern Pentathlon was held Charlotte, NC in March of 2012, and most of the Olympians you saw in London were in Charlotte to compete for spots on their respective country's team. My Belgian/TB mare was used for the Equestrian Event for both the women's and men's competition. The Korean Rider who flipped his mount rode my mare in the jumping competition, and I can tell you watching it in person, with your own horse was very scary. My horse with Hwang did complete the course successfully, but he was obviously not capable of riding at this level. I agreed to allow my horse to be used believing that these athletes were competent riders, and very few of them looked as if they had ever been on a horse. The women athletes were poorer riders than the men. The all wore spurs and the stirrup of the riders slipped bad to the heal of their boots. The leg positions were horrible with toes out and the spurs stuck into the sides of all of the horses. They also carried long whips, did not release the horse over a fence, could not put the horses in the middle of the fences,...etc and were all very agressive riders. All of the horses selected had jumped the course with a jury rider and proven with capable riders that they could complete the with a competent rider. The worst rider on my mare was a female Chinese rider and she along with her teammate from China had to be stopped and excused in the middle of the course, because they could not stay with the horse over a fence to continue. There needs to be better evaluation of these athletes in any further competition.

    Luckily, my horse was not injured by the four who competed with her, but I would warn anyone considering to allow their horse to be used in this event to rethink it.



  18. #298
    Join Date
    Nov. 30, 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MediaMD View Post
    After reading these posts it would seem the equestrian phase is the primary downfall of many of the MP competitors, including the US Olympic team members.I'm curious as to why more of our competitive H/J riders don't try out for the team.

    My 21 yr old daughter has competed in Level III jumpers, schooled 4ft+, rides FEI dressage, regularly tunes up quirky or young horses for clients, used to swim competitively and has run a couple of half marathons. She's also a pretty decent shot with a Glock 17, although needing additional practice/instruction to be competitive. Fencing she'd have to learn from the ground up.

    She's casually kicking around the possibility of actually trying to become a Pentathlete if they don't cancel it for the 2016 Games, but the website only lists national competitions and Olympic team development camps in Colorado.

    Are there lower level competitions regionally? Surely there has to be a winnowing system to end up with a team good enough to go to the Olympics, but there's precious little on the internet about how the process works.

    Has anyone on the COTH ever competed in the MP who can enlighten us? (Emailed the director listed on the official site but doubt they'll be back in the office right away)

    Any insight, advice on how to pursue this goal, or whether this is outright madness would be greatly appreciated.
    I only know this because I read a book about a pro triathlete who tried to make any Olympic team, ("As Good as Gold" by Kathryn Bertine, if you are interested,) and modern pentathlon was one of the sports she tried. You had to be fast in the pool and fast in the run to even get a spot in the development program. The times were an 11:20 3k and a swim of 200m in 2:40. The run pace is in the low 6's per mile.

    You can read about her experience here. Her writing is pretty enjoyable!



  19. #299
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 2003
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Sooo... even though Richard Lamb is the current riding coach of USA Pentathlon, why is Michael Cintas still claiming he is?

    ECI - Equestrian Centers International shared a link.
    Sunday
    USA Olympic Pentathlon Equestrian Coach, Michael D. Cintas
    will be offering National & International Olympic Equestrian Training for any and all Pentathletes that need to work diligently on their Equitation, and Their Technical Skills

    At Equestrian Centers International. Pentathletes will ride World Cup caliber horses Indoors and outdoors over International Obstacles... [cont'd]
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/ECI-E...l/203769947853

    Can't link directly to the post, but it's from Sunday the 20th.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk



  20. #300
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,365

    Default

    I guess they have many coaches??

    http://www.usapworldcup.org/About-Us.html
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



Similar Threads

  1. Pentathlon jumping
    By skykingismybaby1 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug. 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
  2. Modern Pentathlon -- Riding Phase
    By KayPink in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: Aug. 29, 2008, 01:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •