The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

The Abbey Road oxer is 1.2 Meter. I counted the cup holders (can't for the life of me remember what those are called). Anyway, the back rail of the oxer is 17 holes. I believe each one represents 3"? So that makes 51" or 1.29 meter? Someone check my math.
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

First Japanese rider ok. Death grip and steering issue. Good horse to get over the last jump.
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

2nd Japanese rider hello sit up and hold core. Down she goes.

People who think you don't need core muscles to ride are full of $h!t.

Belarus 1st rider doesn't know how to count.

1st US rider gave good releases & you can tell she does steeplechasing. Went a little fast and flat.

shadytrake, why not watch the entire video, then post all of your notes in one place?

It would make for more interesting comparisons and responses than the twitter-style microblogging.

LOVE the chestnut with the star. It effing jumped through the combinaiton with the rider hanging on to his side.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

2nd Belarus rider rode pretty well. Her horse didn't have great knees over fences.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    shadytrake, why not watch the entire video, then post all of your notes in one place?

It would make for more interesting comparisons and responses than the twitter-style microblogging.

Your opinion. I'm enjoying posting a play by play.

Too bad for the German 1st rider. She just got too deep to the olympic fence.

The grey #30 likes to get up and go!!

Bummer for the Italian Claudia. Lovely #25 horse just needed a little better leg. She is a decent rider.

The Korean on the grey didn't ride with a crop or spurs. Good choice. That grey was scopey and strong.

Katarina from Poland got left behind a lot.

Both rounds were decent. I think so far these riders are better than the men. My opinion.

I think someone mentioned the rider who leaned back the whole round. UKR rider. Omg, can you say chicken wings?! LOL

Terrible form.

My father was a member of the Royal Swedish Navy and was also one of their top swimmers. I guess because it was the Navy, they wanted him to train for Olympics in the MP.
    His experience riding was minimal. They gave him a 6-month crash (no pun intended) course in riding but never gave him stirrups! Since he wasn't well schooled in the finer details of riding he assumed that was normal. Anyway, he became a rider and was adept at fencing and shooting. However, he was an epic failure at running and as a result did not make the team. It made for fun stories around the dinner table though! But most importantly, the experience made him a horse lover.

I guess my take-away from watching the MP is that the athletes who treated their horses as vehicles and not highly trained and sensitive animals received the results they deserved.

What is the conformation term for swinging the legs under instead of snapping the knees up? There are a few horses that do that which I would have thought would not be desirable as a pick for the riding string.

Not picking on the horses just noticing some bad form in the horses too.

Quote Originally Posted by shadytrake View Post
    Your opinion. I'm enjoying posting a play by play.
    An after the fact play by play. The competition ended hours ago.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

The Mexican rider demonstrated a perfect pop out of the saddle as a result of jumping ahead of the horse. She's lucky the horse didn't step on her pelvis. Came really close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    An after the fact play by play. The competition ended hours ago.
    So what. Some may not have seen it or can't get the stream.

You don't have to open the thread or you can ignore me. I'm having a fun day.

Quote Originally Posted by shadytrake View Post
    What is the conformation term for swinging the legs under instead of snapping the knees up? There are a few horses that do that which I would have thought would not be desirable as a pick for the riding string.

Not picking on the horses just noticing some bad form in the horses too.
    If you get the horses on such a bad stride so close to the jump, the horse has two choices:

1) snap the knees up into the jump sending the poles upwards and hurting their kneeds
    2) barge it with their chests and sort the legs out after.

Maybe you're too busy microblogging several hours too late to actually watch the proximity of horse to fence.