The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hind legs stocking up (horse gets nightly turnout and ridden 5x/wk)

Just looking for input/thoughts on this. Background: my 12 year old mare is ridden appx 5x/week and this time of year is in during the day and turned out in her own paddock every night. This is something new so am obviously concerned.

Two nights ago i noticed the swelling on both hind legs which starts at the hock and progresses to her hoof, there is heat involved and when asked to lift her leg, the swelling results in rolls of the skin. I cold hosed for 15 minutes and hand walked her for a half hour and the swelling minimized some and I turned her out for the night. Last night same scenario except instead of hand walking I lunged mainly at a walk for 20 minutes, then cold hosed before turning out for the night. This morning in spite of being out all night - same swelling. I cold hosed for 20 minutes before putting her in her stall (had to go to work). Tonight - worse than the past two nights and she is now resting one hind leg at a time which is very unusual for her.

I Can not imagine this being related but I started her on a new bottle of regumate on Tuesday. I searched online to see if this may be a side effect but can not find any references alluding to this. I plan on calling my vet in the morning just to be sure...but anyone else experience something similar?

Scenario: the weather has been very warm here this week....but no different than the whole summer has been.

24/7 turnout? Standing wraps?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Hopefully the vet can shed some light on this and get her feeling better quickly. I don't think this is normal stocking up. I would have expected her to be fine in the morning after turnout overnight.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

kidney or liver issues. Find a homeopathist or chinese herbalist that can isolate the issue and provide a cleans for whatever organ is not functioning properly. More than likely its build up of toxins in the kidneys that is causing fluid retension because the body cannot properly process the fluids. Check horse's tongue. I bet its swollen too.

If its hot or signs of infection, different issue. But stocking up or fluid retention in general is often a kidney function issue.

Thank guys, appreciate the input so far. I meant to put this in horse care forum -may try moving it....

Have you checked her temp? Could be hoary alyssum. Look it up and check the hay and pasture for the weed. Best of luck!

Thanks Frizzle....her temp is 99.5 and I just looked up the hoary alyssum reference and we do indeed have it in this area. Dark outside right now but will be checking the pasture first thing in the morning. Again thanks everyone for the feedback.....I LOVE this group and knew I would get some great responses!!!

If her legs are sensitive to touch as well as having heat, cellulitis is a possibility.

Doesn't sound like normal stocking up. I'd have the vet out ASAP to take a look at her
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Doesn't sound like normal stocking up. I'd have the vet out ASAP to take a look at her
    Yep. That is definitely not consistent with stocking up.