The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Just sold horse, new owner wants to send back! Update last page.

I haven't posted here before and this just happened and would like to hear thoughts...

I sold a young horse to someone off a video. Told them he was green and only been to 3 shows as a baby before.

He is broke to ride and just started jumping.

So the horse was on a trailer for 4 days and has been there for 3 days.

They tried to ride him today and said he reared, tried to kick groom and is a piece of crap and want to send him back.

He has never reared with me or kicked and to me he just sounds wild and stressed. I don't think 3 days is really letting him settle?

How do I react to this situation?

I am so stunned! This is a really nice horse and he must be super stressed to act out like this. I just don't know what to say.
    Last edited by Soaringhigh; Oct. 10, 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Update

Would you take him back if they paid return shipping and a "lease fee" for the time he was off of your training program?

I'd tell them that he is probably stressed. It will take around a week or 2 for most horses to settle in. More, if they have never been off the farm. Plus, they haven't had the horse long enough for the horse to get to know them, bond with them or trust them.

When I got Fanny (my new horse) here, I gave her a week of just walking her around the property, hand grazing and grooming her, to allow her to get to know me, and settle in. Then another week of longeing. Then I got on her after longeing.

With a 3 yr old, they need to slow down, and spend some time on the ground with him. Trailering long distance is stressful, and hopping on a green horse without time to settle in is just plain stupid. Have these people had young green horses before? How "horsey" are they?

I'd almost say take the horse back, just because they don't sound like knowledgeable horse owners. Have them pay the shipping back and refund their money.

Poor guy. Sounds like they dont know much.

Heck, I gave my 10 year old easily stressed out mare a week to settle in last time I moved her across town to a new place!

No real advice I guess. Id say they need to suck it up and give it more time. Although if I were really attached to the horse, I would worry about him and want him to come back.

Did you specifically tell them that he was "wild" at first in new locations & that he needed more time to settle than others might be?

Regardless, if I were in your position, I'd take him back & refund them their money. The horse world is a small one, & I can see already that the feedback from their supposed experience with you will run rampant otherwise. Not to mention what might end up happening with the poor horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Soaringhigh View Post

I love this horse and never would have sold him if I even thought for a second this would happen. He has never acted this way.

He is wild the first day at the show and I would lunge him for the first few days, but I never had a problem with him.

I was very honest with them about everything he is so the fact they say I was not is just really frustrating.
    My bolding - Did you tell them that? Exactly that? Or did you say he was safe & sweet? You say "he has never acted this way" and then you turn around and say "he is wild the first day at a show"...

It is not necessarily "normal" for a young horse to be "wild" at a show. A bit nervous, rushy, a bit looky, sure. But "wild"? That's not normal.

Did you, or did you not, tell them that he is "wild" at first when he arrives in new places and needs time to settle in?

If they thought he was fine in new places, then they have every right to be appalled at his behaviour and p*ssed at you.

Now, i do agree that after 4 days on a trailer, it's not really fair to expect 100% calm, happy behaviour from a young horse. But rearing and kicking at people? That's extreme, and unacceptable. If he had simply been a bit rushy, spooky, or balked a bit, then I doubt you would have gotten such a strong reaction from them.

And a horse that has never, ever even *hinted* at kicking at people does not simply start kicking because it's stressed after a 4-day trip. That is also not a "normal" reaction. He should be a bit aloof, a bit skittish, maybe a bit resistant, but not aggressive & dangerous.

Another possibility is that the horse suffered some mild trauma on the trip - while on the trailer, while being handled by the hauler, while in a strange place for overnight'ing...

In any case, i hope you were 100% honest and I hope they're being 100% honest as well, and i hope this works out for the horse - whether that means you taking it back, or them giving him some more time to settle.

Take your horse back. Even if it means eating the shipping. The longer they have him, the more screwed up he's going to be. They sound kinda dumb...

Not to kick you when you're down, but why on earth would you sell a horse to someone who can't be bothered to come see him in the first place? How did you 'know' this was a good home?

I'm just such a freak when i sell my horses. I'd never let one go under circumstances like that. I hope you're able to take him back. Live and learn.

I am just sick.

Is there anything in your sales contract stipulating what would be done if the horse doesn't work out for the buyer?

If you care about the horse, I'd say offer to take him back, but ask that the return shipping be deducted from the refund of their purchase price. See what they'll go for.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Sorry, but this just continues to sound dicier & dicier.

"These people are huge horse people. Huge."

Who the heck cares? They bought a horse sight unseen based on a video & your description.

"I am angry they would push him so hard and think they would have a good outcome."

Granted, he had had a long trip. But simply trying to get on him & ride a little after 3 days doesn't sound like pushing him "so hard".

Why do I feel like there's more to this story than you're telling?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Sorry, but this just continues to sound dicier & dicier.

"These people are huge horse people. Huge."

Who the heck cares? They bought a horse sight unseen based on a video & your description.

"I am angry they would push him so hard and think they would have a good outcome."

Granted, he had had a long trip. But simply trying to get on him & ride a little after 3 days doesn't sound like pushing him "so hard".

Why do I feel like there's more to this story than you're telling?
    I agree. There was a thread on the HJ forum about a similiar topic that has been closed. Do I see some similirities between this and Churchill Hunt Club perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by evntr5218 View Post
    I agree. There was a thread on the HJ forum about a similiar topic that has been closed. Do I see some similirities between this and Churchill Hunt Club perhaps?
    Can't be CHC. The OP can spell.

My troll/scam radar isn't going off either...it's not perfect, but it usually works.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Can't be CHC. The OP can spell.

My troll/scam radar isn't going off either...it's not perfect, but it usually works.
    Good point!

There isn't more to the story. People asked how much experience they have had and they have plenty of experience.

I am surprised they are reacting so strong to him.

I don't know about this other thread, so not sure what you are talking about.

He hasn't tried to kick me while grooming and there is no reason for me to say otherwise.

I think if they lunged him saw he was ok and got on him that's fine, but I still feel they are fighting with him and that's why he is reacting.

Just not sure what to say to them because i haven't had these situations happen to me with him before.

Shouldn't they give him more time to adjust?

Do you think that they may not have liked him when he got off the trailer and they just want out?

Just seems crazy. And now I see it was crazy to buy off a video, but I just figured these people had bought so many horses that this was normal for them.

I should have been more assertive that they fly out to see him.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

OMG. Some of you people are just waiting to pounce on anyone for anything. Lots of people buy horses off videos. Geeeze.

Sounds like you are trying to do the right thing for the horse Soaringhigh.

do you think they just found something else they dont like about him and now they are making up excuses for you to take him back?

Not once in my 39+ yrs in this industry have I heard of someone *successfully* purchasing a horse off of video alone. There's usually an agent that goes and rides the horse on the buyer's behalf, and/ or the seller has someone in the neighbohood of the buyer to check out that they're legit.

Granted, my experiences are with horses $5k - $25k..

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Many people in my old barn bought $$$ horses from Europe soley off the video.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry for your tough situation. I had a lease go sour before so I can sympathize. I also thought it was the perfect home. Only lasted about 6 months. I ended up paying for the horse to be shipped back to me. If I were in your shoes, I would request a video of his behavior. I would honestly want to see for myself what the horse is doing. If they are that upset they should not have a problem taking a video on their phone and sending it to you. And if they are lying about the behavior to return a horse that is not what they wanted, then you will know. Make your decision from there. But if you want to know where the horse ends up, you will have to take him back. They will most likely get rid of him to the first buyer that comes along if you don't.

What if you ask them to fly you out so you can see what is going on and find a possible fix?
    A few years back I sold a friends horse for them and the new owner was having a "bucking and bolting" issue. The horse had moved 1200 miles from me (I started her under tack and at first shows) I was flown in and rode the horse for a couple days then gave the new owner a lesson and though they still had some issues a month later at least it gave them some tools to help owner's instructor work them through it again.
    Flying out is a whole lot cheaper (and easier on the horse) then shipping the horse back for what could be a easy fix.