The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default he's peeing on the floor.. from inside the litterbox :( and/or weight loss, diet tips

This damn cat will NOT sit down to pee. What will make a cat do that?? I am doubting it's behavioral, likely health-related. He's been poked and prodded and stretched and flexed at the vet and passed his physical exams with flying colors. There's no sensitivity, no pain reaction, abnormal feel, etc. Vet didn't think there was any concern of arthritis or obvious abdominal issues. Actually they thought his health looked darn good. Blood work? Urine workup? What would we be looking for?

I don't doubt some of this is from his being overweight. 17ish lbs, should probably be 14-15? He is also getting to his senior years and has FIV. I've switched from freefed to scheduled feedings. Lots of trial and error with foods and he is kind-of-consistently eating about 1/3 cup of dry and <1/3 can of wet a day. And not losing. He's eating this dry and this wet. I know his weight could be affecting the litterbox issue so I'd really like to get him leaner. Do I have to starve him? He plays regularly, is sort of active and occasionally goes for a short walk. More exercise? Any health issues that would cause both tubbiness and litterbox problems?

I'm going to apologize in advance for not being super prompt at responding.. I access only at work.. but I'm super appreciative of any input! I'm getting a tiny bit tired of cleaning up puddles and my other little, already box-averse kitty is disgusted at the thought of using the same boxes.

In my random web surfing I actually read about this this morning... the lady called it elevator peeing, LOL! Seemed to be more behavioral than physical. She suggested the use of a large storage bin as a litterbox with a hole cut out.

Center of the Universe

A bigger litter box with a cover would probably fix the puddles problem.
    the metabolic calculators suggest that a 15 pound cat should eat around 350 kcal a day.
    cats generally are healthier and more likely to drop body fat if you feed them a carbohdrate-free diet, which means no dry food, and looking for a high-meat-content canned food. One of the cheaper but ok canned cat foods is Fancy feast classic.
    many of the cat food manufacturers are rather shy about admitting how many kcal per unit their foods have, so I couldn't tell you how many cans of fancy feast per day, but I'd start off with 2 cans a day and adjust up or down (probably down) as needed to adjust his weight.

I use sterlite tubs for litter boxes. Totally eliminates any peeing over the edge issues. I do not bother to cut an entry in them and none of my cats have difficulties jumping in.

Both my sister and I have male cats that nearly stand when they are peeing. No idea why. Can't get them to squat so we both got deeper litter boxes and then a single linoleum floor tile square that we put in the back of the box. Now pee hits that and remains in the box. Both of these cats also refuse to share there boxes with their kitty siblings so there are multiple boxes in each home.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I use sterlite tubs for litter boxes. Totally eliminates any peeing over the edge issues. I do not bother to cut an entry in them and none of my cats have difficulties jumping in.
    I did this too. Put a small stool next to it for jumping down into it.

I put an oversized litter box inside one of those bigger plastic trays that you can buy for the bottom of dog crates. I line the tray with newspapers or paper towels so that if there are any oppps, then the tray gets it, not the floor.

You can get the trays sold separately at most pet big box stores like Petsmart or Farm and Fleet. Around 15-20$.

Sometimes cats have the best intentions but, things happen.......especially if they are overweight and it is hard for them to balance.

Rochester, NY

I have a female cat who does this. She's perfectly healthy, and has been checked. I use the puppy pee pads around the extra large boxes, and tape one to the wall behind them. Then, when she goes outside the box, all I have to do is change the pee pad. I do like the idea of the linoleum square in the back, however, and may try that.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymare View Post
    In my random web surfing I actually read about this this morning... the lady called it elevator peeing, LOL! Seemed to be more behavioral than physical. She suggested the use of a large storage bin as a litterbox with a hole cut out.
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. It is the best solution for the high butt peering cat

Default Big ` DEEP Litter Box with a HOOD !

I have one young cat who will get excited (( anxious to go play with others )) and will stand up too soon ~
    solution =

the bigggest deeepest litter boxes with the full hoods ~ will prevent Mr. PEE FREE
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

One of my male cats used to spray out the back of the litter box. I tried a bunch of different methods to contain the pee.

Attempt 1: cheapo hooded litter pan
    Results: I didn't notice when I bought it that the hood nested in a groove on the lower part of the cat pan. The pee would trickle down the inside of the hood and accumulate in the groove. Yucky!

Attempt 2: different hooded litter pan
    Results: The litter pan didn't have the design flaw of its predecessor. However, the cat was still peeing on the wall of the litter pan. This left the wall damp and stinky. I had huge cats. The next cat to enter the litter pan would usually brush up against wet wall of the hood, getting urine on his fur. Yucky!

Attempt 3: Plastic storage bin repurposed as litter box
    Results: The bin was large enough for all my cats to enter, turn around, and exit without soiling their fur. However, it was too tall once some of the cats got creaky. They had trouble getting in and out.

Attempt 4: Plastic storage bin with opening cut in the side
    Results: worked ok at first. However, the cut side weakened the structure of the box to the point where it eventually split when we emptied the litter out one day.

Attempt 5: Garbage bag hung from frame
    Results: this worked the best of all methods. We built a tall frame around three sides of a normal low litter pan. Then we lined the litter pan with a heavy duty lawn & leaf bag (or a contractor bag if we could get one.) We fastened the edges of the bag to the frame, forming a plastic curtain around the litter pan. The final step was to cut an opening on the front to allow entry for the cats. Once the litter got soiled we'd simply lift out the dirty bag along with the soiled litter and replace it with a new one.

After the spraying cat shuffled off this mortal coil, I was able to go back to using a normal litter pan. Then I needed to set up another pan in a closed off area, and I didn't have a spare plastic pan. I happened to have a box for copier paper, so I lined it with a garbage bag and poured litter in. The current cat uses it fine, though he prefers a low pan if he has the choice.

Oh my, you all make me laugh. No wonder people classify us as "crazy cat people".. the things we will do for them! Pee pads taped to a wall? Linoleum tile and garbage bag walls? I appreciate all of the input, am very glad to find that people can commiserate and that this isn't really all that worrisome!

I have tried litterboxes of all shapes, sizes, coveralls, etc and even tried something similar to the linoleum tile (used a flimsy plastic cutting board). The problem always came back to the fact my other kitty is pretty box-averse and I always have to keep one of her favorite kinds around - which, naturally, is a low sided, low "bedded" box in a somewhat open area. Fat Guy just proceeds to make use of her box(es) when his get too complicated..

I may have to try a combo of some ideas. I'm kind of leaning towards pads/splatter guards to protect the walls and a crate liner under the box that these can direct the drainage into. I may vom a time or two having to dispose of a tray of urine.. somehow it's more of just a "spill" when it's on the floor versus a "lake" in a container.

My name says it all

It's nice to know that we're not the only ones who have a cat that stands to pee. Why he started, we don't know. Vet checks fine. He will begin squatting and then gradually stand. How he gets that much height and arc into the process, I don't know.

With the Budda Box, I finally figured out he was inside the box okay but since he also seems to have to rotate as he pees, well, some would get outside and I'd be constantly scrubbing down the inside of the box.

So, we finally found a big, sturdy, plastic tray at a Lowe's. About 21" x 27", that fits inside an even bigger plastic tray meant for mixing small batches of concrete. The smaller tray is about 7" high and the bigger tray has a door cut into one side although it's not that much taller than the inside box.

THEN, we get those blue plastic tarps, 7' x 9' (?) and create a two-sided or three-sided enclosure, thumb tacking the tarp up the wall. The tarp is under both boxes and keeps any "overspray" from what we've already tried to eliminate from getting on the wall or floor.

Yes, "Sigh," you do have to clean more often with a cat like this and it means dragging out the big box with bleach solution at times to clean it. And the tarp goes in the trash every so often, too.

However, with the smaller box we use regular, 33 gal trash bags, put the box inside the bag and pour the litter on top of the bag. Then when we change the litter, all we have to do is pull the bag back over the box and litter, kind of inside out, tie it off and it's done. Inner box stays really clean this way, too- just watch for yourself when you pick it up as there's no guarantee that the ouside bottom of the trash bag will be clean.

In fact, even if I only had the one cat who is a real lady about her business, I'd still have the bigger box, because it's bigger than anything I've seen in pet stores, open, and with the trash bag, real easy to change the litter.

I've always been concerned though, if there's any "splash back" and if that would make the "stand to pee" types avoid using an enclosed box with high sides? SO made heavy, plastic cardboard "sheilds" for each end that we change every so often, but they kind of slant, so don't splash.

Now I'm going to be on the lookout for a big, high-sided tub that will take the inner cat box. Keep one box relatively clean and see if Mr. Long Legs can really arc that high....

Sigh... he's my bud, what can I say?