The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Stock/Slant/Straight Load Trailer?

I apologize if this has come up already but I could not find anything.

I am looking into purchasing a new trailer and I am trying to find the most practical type of trailer to haul my mare but it must weigh no more than 2500lbs-ish unloaded.
    (It would only ever be one horse on the trailer.)

I have found a few options.

One being a 2011 model Bockmann 2 horse straight load trailer for about $10,000 CDN.

Two being a 2012 MORITZ 2 HORSE SLANT LOAD -$6599 CDN

Lastly, a 2012 Calico stock trailer for $4999 CDN

I have never used a stock trailer so I would be concerned with the stability of it but it is appealing being so open.

What would you buy?
    (Note: I only haul 4-5 times per year, no more than 100kms one way)

Well what is your budget? And how big are your horses? You are kind of comparing apples to oranges, imo. A steel stock vs aluminum or composite is not really comparing the same type of trailer. The steel will rust at some point, which is a big pita, but is also arguable better in a crash (note I said arguably, as I'm sure someone will disagree).

I have never had a stability issue with a stock trailer. What are you towing with though?
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Personally I dislike slant load trailers for the following reasons:
    -they are uncomfortable for bigger horses.
    -You can not access one horse without unloading another
    -long distances traveled in slant loads leads to strain on the same legs all the time.

However... in your situation, hauling 5 times/year for less than an hour each way??
    Pick the cheapest/most mechanically sound/lightest trailer. For those distances and amount of hauling you are going to do, the inner configuration of the trailer will matter very little, with the exception of height. I've hauled plenty of tall (16.1 plus) horses in a 6'6 stock trailer but it's not ideal, especially with a reticent loader.

Also, if you're only ever hauling one horse, you can remove the divider likely in the slant and straight load to make a box. I have a two horse straight and haull one horse loose in it all the time. Makes loading young horses by yourself a lot easier.

If I were you I'd pick the cheap stock trailer if it's mechanically sound and tall enough. Winter weather can be tough in a stock, but you can block the open windows with wood or plexiglass and haul your horse wearing their winter blanket.

I would go with the stock. All my horses, even the trailered everywhere and in everything horses, HATED the two horse straight load. I spent a fortune getting a custom made extra tall, extra wide, with all the supposed horse friendly features. They HATED it. Didn't want to load, came off sweaty. Blech! They were okay with my trainers slant load, and all are easy loading and calm riding in my stock trailer that I bought to replace the hated two horse straight at less than half the cost.

Stock trailers are open and less scary for horses. Plus you can tie in such a way that they can choose to stand however they are most comfortable. My draft cross stands at a backwards slant. Depending on the horse, you can even leave them loose. The minis are always trailered loose. They make good stalls at a horse show. And I think they are just safer. If a horse were to fall down there are no partitions, chest bars, butt bars whatever to get caught under.

Default Since I was really looking at Calico before I found my trailer, some more thoughts

If you get the Calico is it all open? If weight is a concern, I wouldn't want a horse wandering way up front on your hitch. They have the poor boy tack door or a full tack door option. I would, personally, want some lockable storage. Traveled Lane Trailers has a great website with different Calico configurations all laid out, if you haven't seen it.

If I bought a Calico I was going to get a 13' slant 7' tall and 7' wide and just plan on using it as a stock (i.e. taking out the divider). I felt like I had better resale with that than a straight stock and also had tack storage. I think the 6' is very narrow for a stock or slant, personally.

Also, have them add door tiebacks. I don't think Calico does those as standard, but I would sure want them.

Great points, so helpful, I thank you all!

My mare is 16hand Canadian WB (DutchXApp), likely to finish around 16.1, (4y/0).

She is pretty good to trailer, can take upto 3-4 minutes to convince her to lift her feet onto the ramp.
    She however did trailer once on a stock and walked up immediatley and didn't wriggle around much like she does on the straight load we borrow.

We use a Bockmann at the moment, it is wonderfully handy since you don't need electric brakes, (has one of its own on the tongue).
    It is very roomy height wise but cramps her in against the sides and front to back.

I am towing with a large 2008 Jeep SUV. Towing capacity 5,000 lbs.

My horses have all done great in the slant load trailers I have owned over the years. But, they're not big horses..the tallest is 15.3. On the occasions when my friend drives, it's taken some convincing to get my horses in her straight load with a ramp. But once they figure it out, they're okay with it.

I live in the west, and out here most of the trailers are slants or stock trailers.

With your vehicle I would not do as big of a Calico as I was talking about and woudl stick to the smaller stock. I still don't understand a 6' wide stock though--would be tight to turn around in for most horses, imo. I'm pretty sure my 13' specs are right above 3,000 lb per the dealerships I've talked to. The basic stock is closer to 2500. You still have to consider your gear, tire iron, spare, hay, horse weight, and all that jazz.

I do strugle with believing the Calico weights that I read, as my little steel 2 horse Turnbow with no tack room is 2950 lb. I'm not saying they aren't correct, I just don't get it. I have split doors and no ramp.

I thought (from trailer shopping before) the Moritz was heavier than you want to go... what is the dimensions and weight of the one you are looking at?

My vehicle is bigger I believe (Expedition) and factory rated to tow more. I have a 3,000 lb 7' interior height trailer and it is on the shorter side (with no tack room). I only pull one horse. From experience, I would strongly suggest anti-sway bars and a equalizer hitch if you go with something other than the Euro-style trailer. These are more to mess with, but if you aren't trailering that often maybe not as big of a hassle...

Sorry, I know that isn't the info you were looking for, but I couldn't help myself! LOL.

I don't have a problem putting a 16'1" horse in a 7 foot tall trailer, but a lot of COTHers will tell you to get a 7'6." With your vehicle I would, personally, do a 7' interior height (again, unless you get a Euro style).

I have a 2003 Moritz 2 horse slant stock trailer (bought new in '03) with small dressing/tack room and I love it. It's a bit tight for a big horse in the front stall but the back one is roomier and easy to secure the divider flat against the wall when just hauling one horse. I've hauled cross country numerous times with it and the mare seems to love it. She doesn't care as much for a straight load. My 16.3hh gelding fits in the front just as well as the 15.3hh mare. He's not as long in front of the shoulder as she is.

The only thing I'd prefer is to have some sort of feed trough in it. It was nice in my friends trailer to be able to through their grain in there in the morning on the way to the hunt. I'm sure I could rig up some triangular flexible bucket like I've seen in some other pricier slant loads. It hasn't been a huge deal.

Big points for stability on the Moritz. I've never felt it sway even the tiniest bit no matter how fast a semi comes screaming by. I don't even have a WD hitch on it. Towed it with an Explorer, Dodge 1500 and F-250.

The endless debate of stock/straight/slant really comes down to personal and horse preference. I have a long backed horse who does.not.fit in slant stalls unless they are custom wide. I also don't like them for other reasons. So I will always have straight or stock load trailers.

Other people will say exactly the opposite and have their reasons. It's like asking which brand of truck you should buy. Buy what fits YOUR needs and YOUR horse and what YOU like to use.