The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cleaning a Tekna?

Tomorrow is service day at my barn, which is basically when all the owners and riders volunteer and have a really fun day where we all do some fixing things up and cleaning tack and horses. Which ever division wins like the most improved (we split up in groups to tackle it) earns a free lesson for all of the riders in the group. I've been put into a group that's cleaning all the saddles. There's about 40 at the barn and 5 in the group, so that's 8 saddles per person so we sat down tonight and divided the saddles. I've got my own saddle, 3 of my friend's and 4 of the schooling saddles. Three of the schooling saddles are Teknas and I know that's not real leather, but how are you supposed to go about cleaning it?

Just use a damp sponge - there are cleaners on the market for synthetic saddles (used the Thorowgood on a friend's Wintec & it worked very well), you can use a mild dish soap BUT be careful of ones that leave residue (why water is safer).

Do not use saddle soap or leather products as these are usually formulated for use on leather only & are designed to leave residue ie conditioner behind.

Just think how fast this would be if you used a pressure hose (I know someone that does for "deep" cleaning & her saddles look amazing - I haven't had the courage - yet ...)

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Just use a damp sponge - there are cleaners on the market for synthetic saddles (used the Thorowgood on a friend's Wintec & it worked very well), you can use a mild dish soap BUT be careful of ones that leave residue (why water is safer).

Do not use saddle soap or leather products as these are usually formulated for use on leather only & are designed to leave residue ie conditioner behind.

Just think how fast this would be if you used a pressure hose (I know someone that does for "deep" cleaning & her saddles look amazing - I haven't had the courage - yet ...)
    Haha I'm actually at the barn right now and I've finished both of the teknas. Just sprayed them down with water and stuck the stirrups in a bucket of warm water with cleaner in it. They look as good as new, but they're still not completely dry.

Yep - sponge or hose (my preferred!) off.