The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack stores in PA?

Hey all, Canadian here! I'm hoping some of you Cothers can help me out here! I will be heading out to PA to do some outlet shopping.
    And I figured, hey, I'm horsie, I might as well do some tack shopping as well!

So my question is: Where are the tack shops of PA?

Add: To be specific, we will be in Grove City, but I don't mind a drive in them name of good tack deals.

Thank you!!
    Last edited by pippinpony; Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Add
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, your right. - Henry Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Denial is delightful.

Grove City is about 20 or 30 minutes from Luster's, in Zelienople. She has a neat little place. Not much in the way of new saddles, but she carries some used ones. Nothing super upscale. She has a nice selection of Western boots and a few racks of all sorts of breeches and hunt coats. Again, nothing super high end. Lots of grooming supplies and other "little things" and halters in a bazillion colors. That area isn't very upscale in terms of horsekeeping so the tack shop reflects that. But Joanne and Matt are very friendly and knowledgeable.

Grove City is some great shopping, by the way.

I think Rick's Heritage Saddlery is in PA

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I think Rick's Heritage Saddlery is in PA
    It is, but I'm pretty sure it's quite far from Grove City.

Grove City, PA is North of Pittsburgh.

Rick's is in SE PA...opposite side of the state! They do have a ton of stuff there though. Too bad you weren't around last weekend for their Tent Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Rick's is in SE PA...opposite side of the state! They do have a ton of stuff there though. Too bad you weren't around last weekend for their Tent Sale.
    TONS of tack shops in SE Pennsylvania. Not sure about near Pittsburgh. We also have lots of outlets, so maybe you should head down here instead

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    TONS of tack shops in SE Pennsylvania. Not sure about near Pittsburgh. We also have lots of outlets, so maybe you should head down here instead

You won't get any bargains, but Malvern Saddlery has gorgeous stuff, check out their website. www.malvernsaddlery.com.

And I also love http://www.tackroominc.com/, I have bought quite a bit from them.

Never been to either, but have bought from both online and over the phone and have always been very happy both with their products and their good customer service.

Malvern is also in SE Pa.

when are you coming? There is a shop called a Bit Above Saddlery that has a mobile unit that will be at a show in Harlansburg this weekend. If it's not this weekend, there are just a couple locally that have great clothes, some tack, and good horse stuff. Nothing like a Dover store though!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

I can vouch for A Bit Above too. She carries more top brand apparel and helmets. Also has some very pretty horse themed jewelery. She has a little store front on a farm in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh but I can't remember if she's open on Saturdays. If she's going to be at a show then she definitely won't be there.

A Bit Above's website. You could contact them to see if they'll be home when you come. I think website says their home location is Allison Park, which would be about an hour drive from Grove City (and about 20 min north of Pittsburgh).

South of Pittsburgh:
    English Horn (facebook page), ~20-30 min southwest of Pgh, in Canonsburg.

RLB Saddlery (couldn't find a website, address is 2550 Brownsville Rd, South Park, PA 15129) directly 20 min south of Pgh.

...And if you happen to be a beer drinker you should swing down to Slippery Rock for North Country Brewing Company!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Next time plan a trip to VF Outlets in Reading, PA. Then you can visit all of the shops mentioned, plus Bartsville Tack.

BTW I saw Grove City has a VF. Join their VIP Club. I joined about six months ago and have recieved $30.00 in rewards alredy. Like their FB page also, that gives you % off coupons.

Pittsburgh and Philly are... like... kind of on opposite sides of what is a relatively large state Most of the recommendations on this thread are near Philly/Philly suburbs (one near State College). I like a tack shopping adventure as much as the next gal, but, uh... that's a HIKE for some Lexol

It's nothing super special but Shady Acres Saddlery in Dorseyville is my "hometown" tack shop in Pgh. It's maybe worth a trip just for the mind boggling nature of a tack shop in someone's basement and garage and to see the clothes from the 80s that never sold and are still hanging out there
    Last edited by vxf111; Aug. 10, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It's nothing super special but Shady Acres Saddlery in Dorseyville is my "hometown" tack shop in Pgh. It's maybe worth a trip just for the mind boggling nature of a tack shop in someone's basement and garage and to see the clothes from the 80s that never sold and are still hanging out there
    AMEN!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

It's not a trip home if I don't eat a Sarris pretzel and have visitation with a pair of rust breeches that have been hanging in the "back room" since 1982 with the same price tag the whole time!!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.