The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stallion Mix-up what to do?

I bred a thoroughbred mare last year to a stallion I selected. When I got the genetics test back this year it stated the foal was from another stallion at the same farm. My mare was boarded there for a few days so it was not like she was dropped off and there was room for error. At this point, I don't want to get a lawyer involved unless I have to.
    My question is what would be a fair resolution to this big mistake. I paid for the mare and foal for a year and it was not the breeding I wanted. I lost a year of my best mare (as she is older and only have 2 or so breeding years left). Vet bills, care, etc.

Has anyone every had a stallion mix up and how did they handle it?

Appreciate any insights or thoughts.

Sorry about what you want. WHat you NEED is an attorney.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I have had this happen. I got a free breeding to the correct stallion. I didn't raise too much of a stink because the mixup was not actually the stallion owners fault.

You could offer to sell the foal to whoever made the mistake, for a very good price that would cover all of the costs, including opportunity cost of having the correct foal pop out.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Iron Horse:
    May I ask.... what is the harm that could come from trying to amicably resolve the situation BEFORE getting an attorney involved?
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Is the foal nice, even if not what you expected? Do you still want the foal?

If not, I would ask the SO to buy the foal from you at fair market price and give you a free rebreed to the correct stallion.

If you want to keep the foal, I would simply ask for a free rebreed to the correct stallion.

JMO.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    Iron Horse:
    May I ask.... what is the harm that could come from trying to amicably resolve the situation BEFORE getting an attorney involved?
    This. An attorney isn't needed unless a mutually acceptable resolution isn't met.

My suggestion? Request that the mare be re-bred at the stallion owner's expense to the stallion of your choice. They cover all costs associated with the breeding including collections, mare care, vet expenses, etc. And you keep the current foal for your troubles and costs associated with the original breeding.

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    My suggestion? Request that the mare be re-bred at the stallion owner's expense to the stallion of your choice. They cover all costs associated with the breeding including collections, mare care, vet expenses, etc. And you keep the current foal for your troubles and costs associated with the original breeding.
    I would think any reputable Stallion Owner would be more than willing to make this compromise.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

This. An attorney isn't needed unless a mutually acceptable resolution isn't met.

Good luck!
    Yes, I think this is a very reasonable solution for both parties as long as the baby isn't a mule or something totally worthless.

Good luck!
    I think that this is exactly what I would ask for. And when they balk, my attorney would be my next call.

I hate to be cynical, but in my experience, the amount of people wanting to do the right thing is a pretty small percentage.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

The fact that you had to find this out for yourself, since the breeder didn't mention it might be possible the foal was not by the stallion you assumed it was, makes me wonder if you might not end up having to escalate things.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    I think that this is exactly what I would ask for. And when they balk, my attorney would be my next call.

I hate to be cynical, but in my experience, the amount of people wanting to do the right thing is a pretty small percentage.
    I guess I like to believe the best in people. And, FWIW, I've found that those that will do the right thing is the majority, thankfully. But honestly, if we EVER found ourselves in a similar situation - which HOPEFULLY never happens - it's what I would offer. We all make mistakes. All of us. I'd like to think that when it happens, people would be understanding and gracious if the shoe was on the other foot. But then, I think if people were willing to accept responsibility for their mistakes, the world would be a better place !
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

But honestly, if we EVER found ourselves in a similar situation - which HOPEFULLY never happens - it's what I would offer. We all make mistakes. All of us. I'd like to think that when it happens, people would be understanding and gracious if the shoe was on the other foot.
    We recently had to ship two different shipments of semen to the same State. The Mare Owners had the same first name and both of their cities started with the same letter and sounded very similar. Thankfully, they both booked to the same stallion so we did not end up in this same dilemma!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

I am probably being naive, but why WOULDN"T they want to make it right, by doing what Equine Reproduction suggests?? the feedback via word of mouth, here on COTH, and else where would all be negative, not something I would think any stallion owner would want, there's just too many options out there., right?

Thank you for all of the positive responses. As I stated, I do not want to get a lawyer involved unless I have to. I am not even sure the SO realized the mistake until I caught it and brought it to their attention. I think they will work with me but I am trying to figure out what would be fair to both parties.

I selected the original stallion almost 1.5 yrs ago, since then the mare's progeny have exploded causing me to go with a different strategy with Stallion selection so getting a free breed back does not interest me. I do like the option of letting them buy it. Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky2012 View Post
    I selected the original stallion almost 1.5 yrs ago, since then the mare's progeny have exploded causing me to go with a different strategy with Stallion selection so getting a free breed back does not interest me. I do like the option of letting them buy it. Any other thoughts?
    First, I assume the bolded part is a booboo - you meant the stallion,s progeny, right?

Second, please please tell me the stallions & SO you are referring to aren't in California......

Quote Originally Posted by ASBJumper View Post
    First, I assume the bolded part is a booboo - you meant the stallion,s progeny, right?

Second, please please tell me the stallions & SO you are referring to aren't in California......
    Oh please not another infamous thread about our mostest favorite breeder!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASBJumper View Post

I actually thought that the OP was referring to the offspring of her mare. I can see.......if the mare's previous offspring have suddenly done something BIG in a certain discipline, and being aware that the older mare has a limited number of foals left, that the OP would want to change her breeding to something close to what is already on the ground competing and successful.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

How did the stallion owner react when you brought the mix up to their attention?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    The fact that you had to find this out for yourself, since the breeder didn't mention it might be possible the foal was not by the stallion you assumed it was, makes me wonder if you might not end up having to escalate things.
    Actually, to me, it points directly to an honest mistake.

Have you spoken to the stallion owner yet? How did it go? How's the foal? If the foal is not bad, I would keep the foal and simply ask for a free rebreed to the stallion you initially wanted...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn