The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Floriscount

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this stallion? I've been looking at the F line to produce an amatuer ride for myself but I've heard Floriscount is hot?
    I'm looking to add bone, height, much better canter, more up hill and preferably less sensitivity although the mare is quiet.
    He ticks most of my boxes except for the comments about him being hot...
    Does anyone else think he is quite thick through the throat latch?
    Also looking at Rotspon but I heard he can throw quite small.

i have never heard he is hot. I do know that his owner picks him up from Bockmann's once a week, and trailers him home to ride him himself.
    His foals seem very beautiful.
    Because he has a lot of size/bulk in his damline I would be inclined not to breed him to an old-fashioned or overly heavy mare.

Saw Floriscount at his owner's .... with his owner on him two weeks ago. He is drop dead gorgeous....Big eyes, gorgeous uphill and compact build. One of the prettiest stallions I have ever seen. I believe the oldest offspring are two this year, so not yet under saddle. The owner of Floriscount told me he has a two year old Floriscount son for Licensing this year that is better than the stallion himself. So that will be fun to see.

Ann Kitchel has quite a few Floriscount foals and has seen many more than I have. She would be the one to ask.

But I have not seen any heavy/old fashioned Floriscount foals. This is my Floriscount foal from this year. I tried to breed back but it was late and we had temp of 100 degrees while I was trying. The mare will go back to Floriscount and would be happy to try Floriscount on a couple other mares too (-: This colt has better gaits than his dam and for sure a much bigger walk. The mare has an electric hind leg and I think that is important when breeding to most F line stallions.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2310739&type=3
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com
    Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage

Found comments about Floriscount here its not the most flattering photo of
    him http://www.blumefarm.com/breederscourse2012.html ....
    My mare is half TB 1/4 arab 1/4 Holsteiner so plenty of refinement. I want more bone but shes already quite "stocky" she is quite compact too.

heres a pic of my mare
    http://mobth208.photobucket.com/albu...th_horse-2.jpg

Nancy, I have not seen any heavy/old fashioned foals either ... but because his offspring are still young, I would hesitate to use him on a bulky mare simply because there is a lot of size in his damline.

Not to derail this thread, but noticed the handsome photo of Fidertanz on the bottom. Has anybody seen his legs up close? Toe-in or pretty correct? I've heard both but haven't seen him up close. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tycoon View Post
    Found comments about Floriscount here its not the most flattering photo of
    him http://www.blumefarm.com/breederscourse2012.html ....
    My mare is half TB 1/4 arab 1/4 Holsteiner so plenty of refinement. I want more bone but shes already quite "stocky" she is quite compact too.

heres a pic of my mare
    http://mobth208.photobucket.com/albu...th_horse-2.jpg
    I tried so hard to get good pics of the stallions But boy it is harder than I thought under pressure!! I was VERY impressed with Floriscount and saw some of his offspring too that were super. He was BIG, not old fashioned, but BIG. He also really holds his body big, with puffed up presence if you know what I mean! The stallion handler said he was easy to work with and had only nice things to say. I too had "heard" some of his offspring could be hot, but in a good way. I can't wait to see what he produces and is on my short list.

Quote Originally Posted by password View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but noticed the handsome photo of Fidertanz on the bottom. Has anybody seen his legs up close? Toe-in or pretty correct? I've heard both but haven't seen him up close. Thanks!
    I wish I had looked closer at his legs while I was there, but sadly didn't. I was distracted during his presentation talking with some folks about Dimaggio that was also standing at Boekmann's. I did however, get to see a bunch of mares by him and most were quite correct in their conformation.

The pictures were great, thanks!

Whoops just realised my photo is tiny. Any other stallion suggestions I quite like Furst Nymphenburg too.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...am/horse-2.jpg

Celle collects him and their website on him is here, for those who might be interested in seeing something different than what the Bockmann site has. Celle tends to keep pointed stats.

http://landgestuetcelle.de/cms/front...=16&idart=1139

I have not heard that Floriscount is hot. I have heard that his sire, Florencio, is hot. Again, the influence of Donnerhall in the damline is very significant. The Donnerhall family is one of, if not the most successful dressage family. F&D lines tends to pair extraordinarily well. FWIW, Weltmeyer descends direct from F (double Fling), so technically Floriscount is a classic merging of F and D lines, the top dressage lineages in breeding. Pik Bube and Donnerhall has been found to be a superior nick, so bringing in the Pik Bube from the sire, and merging with Donnerhall from the mare is very interesting, but obviously still works as he is lovely. I really like Floriscount, personally.

Tycoon - you and I are on the save wave length - I, too, really am impressed by Furst Nymphenburg. His damline offers a different choice, still Donnerhall, but via DeNiro which offers influence from Akzent II/Absatz, with the addition of the legendary Argentinus.

Both stallions contain pedigrees with stallions and mare lines all highly awarded - stallion of the year Argentinus, stallion of the year Weltmeyer, stallion of the year Donnerhall, it's hard to beat it. Most pedigrees contain maybe 1 or 2 stallions highly awarded and acclaimed up close to the front. It gets rarer when stallions (or mares) can lay claim to 3 or 4 or more highly awarded members of their family, mares and stallions, up close and personal within 2-3 generations, let alone those "giants" who lay further back in history.

From a breeder's perspective, I have a deep respect for the individuals who thought out and planned the breedings that resulted in these 2 stallions.

That is, of course, my own personal opinion. Both boys are on my A list for next year. I'm just waiting to see what the 2 intended mares produce in their current pregnancies before I make the final decision.
    Last edited by rodawn; Aug. 21, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typos
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!